what a nightmare,,,,,,,

I just bought my new Tom Tom. One 140 series. I heard from my friends and co workers that this is a good GPS that is user friendly. I have to say this experience has been a nightmare. I travel all over north America and really could have used this device. I represent a large firm in USA and I will be pulling all of the devices from the fleet.

I bought one yesterday and brought it back to my hotel and logged inot their system. I was impressed at first when the system downloaded the newest maps for me. I was only laer surprised that I needed a promotion code???? What is that...I never had one, not to mention my original map was deleted and I could not activate the map I just downloaded. I am leaving for a long drive tomorrow morning and I have to now play games trying to fix this problem.

I have to say for $140.00 this is turning out to be an expensive toy. I am in Canada now and I have to drive back to Bellingham to return the device. My order for 400 was just cancelled. Nice work Tom Tom.

If anyone can help me please let me know.

Last edited:
With any device you should back it up to your PC BEFORE you do anything else at all, use Windows Explorer for making the backup as its more reliable than the Home software. With the backup out of the way you can then use Home to update the software on the device and the map but you should only use a wired internet connection, if you use WiFi then the results can be hit and miss - take it back to the shop as dead and get another one - Mike

I just bought my new Tom Tom. One 140 series. I heard from my friends and co workers that this is a good GPS that is user friendly. I have to say this experience has been a nightmare. I travel all over north America and really could have used this device. I represent a large firm in USA and I will be pulling all of the devices from the fleet.

I bought one yesterday and brought it back to my hotel and logged inot their system. I was impressed at first when the system downloaded the newest maps for me. I was only laer surprised that I needed a promotion code???? What is that...I never had one, not to mention my original map was deleted and I could not activate the map I just downloaded. I am leaving for a long drive tomorrow morning and I have to now play games trying to fix this problem.

I have to say for $140.00 this is turning out to be an expensive toy. I am in Canada now and I have to drive back to Bellingham to return the device. My order for 400 was just cancelled. Nice work Tom Tom.

If anyone can help me please let me know.

The "Use latest map guarantee" is a bit hidden, but that is where people need to go to get their free map upgrade. Where did the map come from that you downloaded, and have you tried calling the tech support number rather than here(since this is not an official Tomtom site)?

Do not upgrade your 140 to an 835 map. No 140 or 340 user that I am aware of has successfully installed this map.

:)
Let me first to say what customer service. I am very impressed. I was waled through a fix by 3 attendants and my GPS is working very well. I have to say I have kept my purchase of the 400 units and I will be signing a service agreement with Tom Tom should this happen again,

It takes time to love anything new, but I can assure you that TomTom addiction will increase with usage.
When I started using Ubuntu 1 year ago, I was so lost and frustrated - virus resistance was the only reason that kept me going. Now Ubuntu/Chromium is the best that ever happens to my web surfing life.:)

Although the forum has many posts with "horror" stories regarding CS, I for one have had very good experiences the few times I have had to use them.

My TT has actually been completely trouble free since last year, and even then the problems were glitches regarding new application updates and HOME.

As with any product or service, we do tend to let the world know when things go wrong or are not up to our satisfaction. This is certainly not to say that complaints are not valid, its just that we rarely give kudo's to companyies when things go right, myself included.

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Cheers

Do not upgrade your 140 to an 835 map. No 140 or 340 user that I am aware of has successfully installed this map.

I got my mother's 340XLs to upgrade after a call to TomTom support. The original map that TomTom Home wanted to download was the 2GB version, but after the call the assigned the correct 1.6GB version and all went well.

It takes time to love anything new, but I can assure you that TomTom addiction will increase with usage.
When I started using Ubuntu 1 year ago, I was so lost and frustrated - virus resistance was the only reason that kept me going. Now Ubuntu/Chromium is the best that ever happens to my web surfing life.:)

Nice to see other Linux users here. I only wish TOmTom supported Linux with their HOME software. After all, the device itself runs a Linux based OS.

Yes, it would be good to see them support Linux-based systems.

Personally, i think with the competition hotting up (thinking Google's foray into navigation et-al) they will need to invest heavily in software development and usability and compatibility.

Support

The new version of HOME (2.8) will be supporting Windows 7 and were hoping by v 2.9 to have it support linux. Thank you to those who speak good of us, we try our best but sometimes policy doesnt allow us to make everyone happy.

Ask a Question