Weight limits and Bridge heights Live XL UK

Hi All..

Thanks for taking the trouble to read my post.

I work as a Heavy Goods Vehicle driver here in the UK, unfortunately, I cannot see anyway to stop the LIVE XL I use taking me down roads with a weight/height restriction.

Are there any software updates that I could purchase/download/utilise that would allow these restrictions to be blocked?

As well as being dangerous, it can be very frustrating for other road users as well as myself to have a large vehicle attempt a U turn on some narrow roads...

Thanks in advance for any advice or replies..

Kind Regards

Kev:)

There have been POI files created in the past for low bridges etc but as the TomTom units have no way to "Avoid POI" there isn't an easy way to get it to use the data. About the best you could aceive is a warning of such an obstruction prior to you getting really close to it, but it won't prevent you entering the road in the first place.

Another option is to ditch the XL IQ and get the TomTom Truck set-up which does cater for axle weight, width, height etc. It is different hardware, maps and cost but this would do exactly what you want - Mike

One other option is a TomTom Go-940 Live with the Navcore intended for the Fiat Blue-Me system installed to it, you can have a look at a video I shot last year by clicking Here as thats another way to get at truck related options that do influence the provided route - Mike

One other option is a TomTom Go-940 Live with the Navcore intended for the Fiat Blue-Me system installed to it, you can have a look at a video I shot last year by clicking Here as thats another way to get at truck related options that do influence the provided route - Mike
Yeah, but what's he going to do for maps? The critical stuff is embedded in the map data, and doesn't come in the usual GO map distributions (at least the files are different sizes - more for the truck versions).

Last edited:
The map does have a bearing on the route depending on the vehicle profile but the map supplied with the 940 does produce different routes depending upon the selected vehicle type as shown in the you tube clip - Mike

I'm guessing that among other things, the standard map does not include any information about bridge heights. Certainly nothing for it in the NA_2GB map when that firmware is running. Did a great demo "test crash" running a 13' high vehicle under an 11'6" bridge and it didn't flinch.

That said, I don't have first hand experience with whatever TT is selling as a UK map. Perhaps more gets embedded into the consumer version there.

I'm guessing that among other things, the standard map does not include any information about bridge heights. Certainly nothing for it in the NA_2GB map when that firmware is running. Did a great demo "test crash" running a 13' high vehicle under an 11'6" bridge and it didn't flinch.

That said, I don't have first hand experience with whatever TT is selling as a UK map. Perhaps more gets embedded into the consumer version there.

is there a uk map that runs with blue me ? can you get it from tom tom ?

is there a uk map that runs with blue me ? can you get it from tom tom ?
45 countries in Europe worth, including the U.K. View map here:

Blue&Me TomTom

How you'd ever get them to sell the map to you separately (without having a corresponding TT device to plug into Home to start the process) is another story. Your unit will have to identify itself clearly as a Blue&Me unit, but the serial number won't match. Should be interesting.

Last edited:

Ask a Question