Way to Improve 920 POI?

In my opinion, the POI feature is just not that well implemented. It's difficult (sometimes bewildering) to navigate. For example, there is a grocery chain called Jewel. When I try to "Find" Jewel, the 920 will list "Jewels" and other stores that don't have the word "Jewel" in it. There isn't a sub-category for grocery stores, either.

Is there something that can be done to better organize the POIs? Or is there a software update on the horizon from TT that may help? This is becoming a deal breaker for me. I was driving in an unfamiliar town, and couldn't find a grocery store with the 920.

Reply - POI's on the 920 - Grocery Stores

I have similar complaints.

In my metro area of Atlanta, if I am in an area I don't know of, I know I can search POI's for the words "PUBLIX" or "KROGER" because they are major chains here, and I will find something.

However, over Christmas, I was in Indianapolis, where neither of these chains exists (at least by that name) and finding a grocery store was impossible!

Terrible layout of catagories on the 920T, IMHO.

Anyone have any solutions to this?

For myself here in Atlanta, I have aqquired a POI file for all the PUBLIX stores, and one for all the KROGER stores. I have merged them into 1 file, created a bmp with both logo's on it, squished together, and created a CATAGORY called GROCERY that uses this file. This way, when I search for a GROCERY store, I will find the closest one, whether it be a PUBLIX or a KROGER.

But, really, there has to be a better solution.

POI's on the 920

I live in Europe and have been using the Navigon GPS system until now, when I got the TT 920T. I love the TT 920T, but one disappointment with the TT 920 is that I don't see the names of the gas stations with icons, I.E., with the Navigon, I would see a gas station icon with the name of the gas station (Esso, etc.). This matters to me, because I have discount coupons that are readamble at these gas stations. Why can't TT do the same?

I have similar complaints.

In my metro area of Atlanta, if I am in an area I don't know of, I know I can search POI's for the words "PUBLIX" or "KROGER" because they are major chains here, and I will find something.

However, over Christmas, I was in Indianapolis, where neither of these chains exists (at least by that name) and finding a grocery store was impossible!

Terrible layout of catagories on the 920T, IMHO.

Anyone have any solutions to this?

For myself here in Atlanta, I have aqquired a POI file for all the PUBLIX stores, and one for all the KROGER stores. I have merged them into 1 file, created a bmp with both logo's on it, squished together, and created a CATAGORY called GROCERY that uses this file. This way, when I search for a GROCERY store, I will find the closest one, whether it be a PUBLIX or a KROGER.

But, really, there has to be a better solution.

Are you considering alternative GPS solutions? This is really driving me crazy.

Well, I was kind of hoping for someone here to step and tell me I was crazy, and that I was just unaware of a better way to utilize the POI feature / function.

What about the Garmin method on the Nuvi 680?.... Thoughts?

Anyone?

I think the thread is more centered on it being dificult to navigate the POIs. But related is the limited content of the POI files... Plus if you have good data, then you could remove and reformat all the POIs into your own structure...

I am nearly complete with a website which will allow you to enter a category (i.e. grocery stores) and your zip. It then gets the closest ?? locations to the center of the zip code, and formats it with coordinates into a csv POI file. I don't know how to generate a tt file, so translation at another site would be required.

I am currently hung up on the address to coordinates converter, which I found to be free from the government. Since this is a free-time activity, it may take a while to get over this hurdle... We'll see...

BTW, has anyone found a website or program that already exists that does this?

- Briago

I think the thread is more centered on it being dificult to navigate the POIs. But related is the limited content of the POI files... Plus if you have good data, then you could remove and reformat all the POIs into your own structure...

I am nearly complete with a website which will allow you to enter a category (i.e. grocery stores) and your zip. It then gets the closest ?? locations to the center of the zip code, and formats it with coordinates into a csv POI file. I don't know how to generate a tt file, so translation at another site would be required.

I am currently hung up on the address to coordinates converter, which I found to be free from the government. Since this is a free-time activity, it may take a while to get over this hurdle... We'll see...

BTW, has anyone found a website or program that already exists that does this?

- Briago

You mean like here: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocoder/

No that site just takes an address or list of addresses and gives you the coordinates. The key to the whole thing is getting the list of addresses in the first place...

Do you know a site where you give it a category and location and it gives you a POI file?

Ask a Question