Way to boost fm output?

Since I live in New Jersey,i found that fm option is practically unusable on Garden State or NJ turnpike.It's almost like somebody jamming the transmition on purpose.Is there a way to boost fm output?.

Since I live in New Jersey,i found that fm option is practically unusable on Garden State or NJ turnpike.It's almost like somebody jamming the transmition on purpose.Is there a way to boost fm output?.
No, but you may be able to improve it, all the same.

I've found that the power cable to the cig lighter adapter radiates a great deal of the signal. Changing the orientation of the cable makes a boatload of difference to how well I receive the signal in my 300M. It has the embedded rear windshield antenna.

The RF output of the TT really is pretty weak. I sincerely doubt that they are using the full 100mW allowed. Since they've nuked that at firmware rev 8.3, and if I decide to stay there instead of rolling back to 8.010 to take advantage of new maps next year, I'll just use a decent 3rd party FM modulator that I've already got, or one like it, using the Line Out from the TomTom.

Could you suggest a modulator?
My old favorite is no longer available and already has a home in the other car, but in a day or two after it arrives, I'll report back my most recent purchase -- it's the same as the one you'll find here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AR8VEK

If anything will work, that should. Frankly, as only 1/10 watt maximum power is allowed on these things, it's a miracle that they work as well as they do, especially in town. The one I already own does do better than the TT's FM modulator. It allows for 3 preset frequencies that can be accessed quickly (vs. the 2 for the TT itself).

That probably isn't the best price you can find on this unit, but be sure it's this one you get (the RadioPlay 300) and not something similar. Some other brands and another Monster unit are restricted to being tuned to a limited set of frequencies. This one covers the entire FM band. You do NOT want the cheaper one (same Monster brand name) that allows use of only 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7, 88.9, 89.1, 89.3, 89.5MHz. You want the "full spectrum" version that allows tuning across the band! More chances to find some dead space in a busy city.

As the 720's "line out" audio is fairly "hot", I don't expect any problems with volume at the radio end, but we'll see.

If you're impatient, they've got this unit for more $ at most Radio Shacks, too. Pricegrabber shows it can be had for $32.99 and free shipping.

Last edited:
Received the Monster when I got home. Fired it up, and am pleased with the results so far. Audio level is just right (unlike the TT, which always had me turning up the volume a good bit, and being annoyed when I switched back to a blaring radio). It overcomes local lower power stations that the TT could not.

Will use it for travel and geocaching for a few more days and unless you hear back, assume it's doing well.

Ask a Question