Warning: xl325se + Home = Brick

What's interesting with the direct link is that it's a higher bootloader than what brian2mn had - perhaps the lower bootloader works fine, and when home gives the higher one it bricks?

I did try to find a 325 at one of the three local WalMarts, but no joy. An associate at one told me they weren't getting anymore of them because there's been so many returns. She thought they probably just got a bad shipment at their store, so maybe another store had some good ones. :confused:

Many thanks "fotyfoe" for posting that information as it might just assist others in the same boat
Being the curious person I am, I would invite others with this same model to come into this thread and post their experiences with the device ( good or bad ). Or perhaps start a new thread dedicated to upgrading experiences with the xl325se. I would like to know if my situation was a rare occurence or indeed an epidemic with this particular model.

Also to update...I managed to find a Wal-Mart store within reasonable driving distance to my house that had 4 of these new left on the shelf. I drove out last night and exchanged mine for a new one. It is still sitting on my kitchen table at home wrapped in plastic. I have not yet decided what to do with it yet. Either possibly go thru this all over again, or return or sell it for the money back. Undecided.

From the post I've seen here, I think the issue is more of a epidemic. You're definitely not alone. And no one has chimed in and said "my 325SE updated fine" which usually happens on other rare-occurrence issues.

If you do choose to open up your new 325se, would you mind posting the application, boot, and map version from the device's status screen before you do any updates? I'd love to know what preinstalled software "works" on the device so we can attempt to help problem members restore it.

If you do choose to open up your new 325se, would you mind posting the application, boot, and map version from the device's status screen before you do any updates? I'd love to know what preinstalled software "works" on the device so we can attempt to help problem members restore it.

Yes I will do that. And btw, the device that died that I just returned, used this...

App 8.082 OS 316116
Map: United_States v835.2423

If that helps any. I will indeed post again with next device info.

If you need to download the original Navcore that was installed when you first got the device you can do so by clicking Here for the 8,082 version - Mike

fotyfoe - so after the bricking, the app on your old 325SE was 8.082?

I'm wondering if that is brick-inducing version that Home installed, and perhaps the original preloaded app was different.

If you need to download the original Navcore that was installed when you first got the device you can do so by clicking Here for the 8,082 version - Mike
Thanks. I went ahead and snagged that file while it's available. I'm going to keep a copy on my pc of Navcore 8.082 and 8.083 cabinet files in case I ever need them again! Couldn't hurt.

If you do choose to open up your new 325se, would you mind posting the application, boot, and map version from the device's status screen before you do any updates?
I opened the new one and it looks to be the same:

Device AKSGG BSD36
App 8.082 (9667/090715) OS: 316116
32MB RAM (free 5.1MB)
GPS v1.21 Boot 5.5128
Language: English US

Looks just like the previous one. I don't know if I want to connect it to Home and try my luck or not. :eek:

I opened the new one and it looks to be the same:

Device AKSGG BSD36
App 8.082 (9667/090715) OS: 316116
32MB RAM (free 5.1MB)
GPS v1.21 Boot 5.5128
Language: English US

Looks just like the previous one. I don't know if I want to connect it to Home and try my luck or not. :eek:

I am posting here to say I have had issues updating my 325SE as well that was purchased from Walmart. My versions were exactly as your regarding App, Map, GPs etc...I also tried the LMG and found no new maps and found this forum and read that 840 was out. I tried everything to get the map update and hasd to finally call CS.

I did create a backup prior to calling (Explorer backup) and the CS rep had me delete the US folder from the device and then I clicked on "Update My XL" and the new map downloaded. I asked if there was a new core update and she said no and yet it is posted here that 8.083 is the latest so do these rep's know what is going on?

Lastly, I do get almost every time I connect with the computer a message stating the device needs to be checked for errors and almost every time it says problems found and fixed, bad memory? I do disconnect the device correctly when closing home so maybe there are h/w issues with this device?

We did buy 2 of them and one is going to be a gift but I'm not optomistic about this device being stable and am thinking of returning it based on the high returns (I know someone at Walmart that is seeing this as well) and the issues others and myself are experiencing.

Bob

I asked if there was a new core update and she said no and yet it is posted here that 8.083 is the latest so do these rep's know what is going on?
It's kinda scary isn't it? I don't know if I ever want to connect this second device to the computer or not. And thanks for posting your experience. Now I don't feel so alone with this.

It's kinda scary isn't it? I don't know if I ever want to connect this second device to the computer or not. And thanks for posting your experience. Now I don't feel so alone with this.

Your not alone....I know alot of people who bought this on Walmart's Black Friday and have returned it after getting frustrated with the CS reps....I'm starting to think this is a rebranded model and they didn't test it properly...

I hope I don't have an issue with the other unit as it is for my stepson as a Christmas present and this will be updated on the weekend... :(

Edit...the CS reps told me on the phone they and I quote "are not having any issues with this device"

There are CS reps who know what they are talking about and then there are CS reps who are nothing more than 'script monkeys'.

Seems you dealt with one of the latter, sadly.........:(

There are at least 5 hardware revisions of the 2008 Tomtom XL (which includes all flavors of the 325 and 330), each has similar features but runs slightly different software revisions. Depending on the model, they run 8.010, 8.080, 8.081, 8.082, or 8.083

I doubt the software is fully cross compatible with different hardware editions, since Tomtom has never offered a software update from one version to another. So I think the rep that offered 8.083 was incorrect, and the right version is 8.082.

It's sounding from these posts that there's a flash memory I/O issue, my guess is it's bad USB controller firmware rather than bad flash memory. USB controller firmware is controlled by the 5.5128 bootloader which was known to be flaky on the XL340 series.

With the XL 340 series, the problem was fixed by running application 9.x, which has the same booloader as 8.083. So maybe the app update will be a reasonable fix.

Last edited:
There are at least 5 hardware revisions of the 2008 Tomtom XL (which includes all flavors of the 325 and 330), each has similar features but runs slightly different software revisions. Depending on the model, they run 8.010, 8.080, 8.081, 8.082, or 8.083

I doubt the software is fully cross compatible with different hardware editions, since Tomtom has never offered a software update from one version to another. So I think the rep that offered 8.083 was incorrect, and the right version is 8.082.

It's sounding from these posts that there's a flash memory I/O issue, my guess is it's bad USB controller firmware rather than bad flash memory. USB controller firmware is controlled by the 5.5128 bootloader which was known to be flaky on the XL340 series.

With the XL 340 series, the problem was fixed by running application 9.x, which has the same booloader as 8.083. So maybe the app update will be a reasonable fix.

Interetsting. Question then. Can we get any confirmation on the correct app version? Would be nice if they had a version listing by model so we all don't have to guess at it and cause more issues. Not sure I would want to try the app update without some confirmation or at the very least a way to recover.

Thx,
Bob

Found that app update listing here. Can anyone help regarding the base verion of the XL325SE? It appears to have the same things as the XL340S. The reason I ask is if this is indeed a rebrand then we can use the app update (9.xxx) and then in turn get the firmware updates that are needed?

Thx,
Bob

I purchased the XL 325 SE from Wal-Mart on Black Friday. My first unit went belly up after loading the new map 840.2570. I got the red circle with the X in it. TomTom said I had bad flash memory in it so I took it back to Wal-Mart & they let me do a even exchange for another one.

My second XL 325 SE has been rock solid. Zero problems with it. I use the Home software & update it daily without any problems. The only thing I updated on it was the map version. Of course I added voices, car icons & mapshare daily updates.

The original software was:

App 8.082 (9667/090715)
32 MB RAM (free 2.0MB)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5128
Map v840.2570 (This I updated)

Hope this info helps..

Phil

Ask a Question