Warning Tone?

I've had my ONE XLS for about a year and a half and recently purchased the 4 map update package and downloaded an update? (you don't really know do you/). The next time I went on I-19 to Tucson, I heard this loud (I can only describe it like an electronic "Big Ben' chime) noise when nearing an off ramp. I nearly jumped out of my skin. I wasn't for sure it was eve coming from the XLS until I turned off the radio and waited for it to happen again- it did and it was!

I have been well off the interstate in the mountains of AZ and CO and had almost forgotten about the sound and what causes it. Earlier this week, I downloaded another update? Today we were drving north on US 50 in CO between Salida and Canon City and out of a clear blue sky got the tone again when nearing and leaving a couple of small towns along the Arkansas River. I could not idetify any specific circumstances other than being in the small towns.

Is any one else hearing these noises? I do not have traffic, Blue tooth or anything fancy that I am aware of.

I hate mysteries.

Terry L.

Last edited:
Do you have a setting for warn when near schools or churches, by any chance?

I found the safety preferences as you referred to and only "Warn when driving faster than allowed" was checked. I don;t know if this was a default as I do not recall ever having visited this screen b4. How does the Tom Tom know what speed is allowed?

I unchecked everything and had no "noises" today. What is the warning tone supposed to sound like?

I may experiment with some other preferences when I'm not towing the trailer. Don't need the distractions.

Terry L.

The purported maximum speed allowed is data imbedded in the map. You will more than likely see such info on highways and some main roads, not so much on side streets.

Ask a Question