Warning: The voice you selected in not available

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
As some of you already know, this message appears during startup after updating to software version 7.481. In my case, I noted that it didn't happen all the time - it seemed to only happen after being connected to the computer, but not every time. After some experimenting I found that it only happened on the first restart after being connected to the computer, after having used the "Operate my GO" feature of TomTom Home.

After restarting a few times without the error, I made a complete backup of my 920. I then used TomTom Home to "Operate my GO", and then exited TomTom Home, without restarting or disconnecting the 920. I then made a second backup of the 920, and compared the backups to each other.

The comparison of file contents revealed that 3 files were different:

\newsettings.dat (contained in 2nd backup only)
\ttgo.bif
\UserPatch.dat

Among others, I found the following changes (in bold) to ttgo.bif:
DeviceName=TomTom GO 720 (first backup said 920)
DeviceVersionHW=TomTom GO 720 (first backup said 920)
CurrentVoiceInfo=Nelson (first backup said Susan)

So, it's not Susan that's not available, it's Nelson!

I looked at the voices on my 920 (including those that would have to be installed from CD), and looked at all the voices and computer voices available through TomTom Home, and Nelson is nowhere to be found.

Is anyone experiencing this problem without using "Operate my GO" prior to the error appearing?

Last edited:
I have a new 930 and I'm seeing this every time after using the "Operate My Go" and disconnecting the device. I did not see this with my 920 but "Operate My Go" did not work on my mac with the 920, it does now function, with a few glitches, with the 930. I think it's something we just have to ignore for now. Cutting the device on and off does not produce this so it's not a major annoyance.

By the way when the "Operate My Go" did work with my 920 when we had the TT Home 2.22 version it identified my 920 as a 520. My 930 gets identified as a 730.
John

Last edited:
Now that I know more about what's happening, I too believe that it's best to just live with it for now. I may investigate a little more, but I won't waste my time on the phone with tech support.

Hello all, just to say i get this problem also, so if anyone has the solution or a routine to perform or avoid this happening when using Tom Tom Home 2, as i don't think it's just when you go into 'Operate my Tom Tom', although i can't say I've log this when it's happened, but will make a note the next time i use 'Home' and avoid the 'Operate' facility.

regards

TomTom Home unexpectedly modifying files

The issue with the lost voice is a known issue at TomTom Support. It is caused by TomTom HOME changing the file ttgo.bif, specifically the value of the item CurrentVoiceInfo=<your current voice> to CurrentVoiceInfo=Nelson which apparently does not exist. This occurs immediately following an Operate my Go emulation session. Thus, after disconnecting your device, this would prompt for the "WARNING: The voice you selected in not available TomTom".

This issue should be resolved with a newer version of TomTom HOME. TomTom Support recommends to refrain from using the emulator for now.

I hope this helps,
Shantar

This issue should be resolved with a newer version of TomTom HOME. TomTom Support recommends to refrain from using the emulator for now.

Shantar

Shantar, welcome. I don't know if you realize just how funny (ironic) Support's suggestion about the emulator is. There are many users who will not go near TomTom Home, let alone Operate My Go (emulator) unless they absolutely have to (like for downloading and installing a new map). It really is a crappy piece of software, poorly coded and poorly tested.

Is it possible to rename an installed voice, or rename a voice prior to installation? If so, it might be worthwhile renaming your selected voice to "Nelson".

That said, the code that causes the problem is most likely in the emulator DLL that corresponds to the firmware installed on the device. Theoretically they could "fix" this in conjunction with a new firmware release, without updating Home.

Is it possible to rename an installed voice, or rename a voice prior to installation? If so, it might be worthwhile renaming your selected voice to "Nelson".

That said, the code that causes the problem is most likely in the emulator DLL that corresponds to the firmware installed on the device. Theoretically they could "fix" this in conjunction with a new firmware release, without updating Home.

Well, Michael, ttgo.bif is a simple text file that indeed can be edited using Notepad and, indeed, it is no problem changing Nelson to Susan and see if what happens under the Operate My Home scenario.

However, as you imply, if the code is going to change the name back anway, I'm not sure what is gained. I don't believe making that file read only will work as it is clear that the file needs to get written to every session.

Well, Michael, ttgo.bif is a simple text file that indeed can be edited using Notepad and, indeed, it is no problem changing Nelson to Susan and see if what happens under the Operate My Home scenario.

However, as you imply, if the code is going to change the name back anway, I'm not sure what is gained. I don't believe making that file read only will work as it is clear that the file needs to get written to every session.

What I meant was, when operating the actual device (not through emulation), somehow install a voice named "Nelson". This way, when restarting after an "operate my go" session, it will actually find the voice and use it.

And I have tried changing the TTGO.BIF file back to "Susan" using a text editor, but it didn't even seem to help. Once I realized what was causing the problem, I decided that for me it wasn't worth any significant effort to pursue it further.

After upgrading twice, now using Home 2.3.1.92 and a One XL-S, I get the same voice error as others have reported. In addition, the car icon is always changed to the default arrow. I did some checking of the ttgo.bif file as well and found that it only happens when I use the emulator. Home also changes the DeviceName and DeviceVersion to Limerick.
I don't suppose anyone else has noticed this?

John

After upgrading twice, now using Home 2.3.1.92 and a One XL-S, I get the same voice error as others have reported. In addition, the car icon is always changed to the default arrow. I did some checking of the ttgo.bif file as well and found that it only happens when I use the emulator. Home also changes the DeviceName and DeviceVersion to Limerick.
I don't suppose anyone else has noticed this?

John

I noticed that as well. If the emulator requires specific values for these entries, it would seem much simpler to hard code the values in the emulator, rather than change the values in the TTGO.BIF file. Regardless though, it's sloppy programming to change the values out from under the user to satisfy the short-term requirements of the emulator and then fail to change them back again after the emulator session has ended. And then to fail to correct the issue over several releases makes them look that much worse.

What I meant was, when operating the actual device (not through emulation), somehow install a voice named "Nelson". This way, when restarting after an "operate my go" session, it will actually find the voice and use it.

And I have tried changing the TTGO.BIF file back to "Susan" using a text editor, but it didn't even seem to help. Once I realized what was causing the problem, I decided that for me it wasn't worth any significant effort to pursue it further.

There is a "Nelson" but he speaks Afrikaan.

Ask a Question