WANTED. 6" screen. World lifetime maps (more) ..

No models anywhere will have included World Lifetime maps.

You can get a Start 60 in the UK with Europe maps but NOT lifetime. Or a Start 60 UK & Ireland WITH Lifetime maps. See here:
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/start-series/

In OZ, A Via 620 has lifetime maps of Australia only.

See here:
http://www.tomtom.com/en_au/products/car-navigation/via-series/

Further considerations:
1. You can get a micro sdhc card (perhaps 8 gb) for the device and buy additional maps but they won't be lifetime.
2. Computer voices (speak street names) normally are only available matching the country map included in the inital device out of the box.

No models anywhere will have included World Lifetime maps.

Thanks for your reply DHN. Umm. I have a Renault Eurodrive Clio which this year has gone over to LG from TomTom Carminat. The LG is very good but I've been indoctrinated on TomToms. I'll keep my heavy 910 TomTom in Europe as a standby and now look at getting the Via 620 for Australia. Can I add other maps onto the Via 620? I have a Carminat SD card + a blank TomTom SD card both with 2011 European maps.

Last edited:
You won;t be able to use the maps from other devices on the VIA (maps are always locked to the device they were bought for (unless you bought a map ON an SD card).

You can check the maps available for any TomTom model on the TT website (You haven't added a location to your profile, so I don;t know which regional site would be best for you, but the UK version is http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/shop/maps/)

I show your 'calling' location as Paris, and you say you can also purchase while in the UK, so at a wild guess, would assume more of your driving is in Europe?

If so, then the way to get your best bang for the buck is to do as dhn suggests and get a European model with lifetime maps so that the most expensive of the lot is covered quarterly. You can pick up Australia and SE Asia together for about the same price as Europe.

I have ZERO experience with the latest models (not yet offered in North America), but if the GO 600 screen is as good as the Start60/Via1605 screen, it's really a winner. The Start 60 is a little more mature product, HOWEVER, it does not seem to come with a lifetime Europe map subscription if you buy in the UK (it is a Start 60 w/Europe, not a Start 60M w/Europe) , but does include the lifetime subscription (Start 60M) if you buy on the continent (???) When purchasing a Start 60, you need to be careful which one you're selecting. There's even a low end unit with only UK/ROI maps but WITH a lifetime sub.

START 60 w/Europe = £169.99 (no lifetime Europe updates?)
START 60M w/Europe = 199.95 € (has lifetime Europe updates)
GO 600 w/Europe = £229.99 (has lifetime Europe updates)

Another option is an iPad mini or Android tablet.

And then buy the apps for the places you want to go. All Tomtom Andriod/iOS apps have lifetime maps included.

The tablet is the expensive part (and no incremental cost if you already own one). You can buy TT apps covering most of the world and the total app cost is likely less than a PND cost.

Ask a Question