Wall Charger for Go 2435 TM

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 2435 TM
I bought my TomTom Go 2425 TM about a year ago. The pictures in the owners manual show a UBS charger and traffic receiver but mine came with a flat pin style car charger and traffic receiver. There is no USB port anywhere on my device. I've looked around and I can't seem to find a wall charger that will fit with my TomTom. The ones sold for my model number through TomTom and amazon.com are all UBS. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Could be that the new microUSB socket on the device doesn't look familiar to the OP as a USB connection. Guess we'll have to wait to find out.

@anderson. I can't find any pics of the Go2425 on the US site, but if it's anything like the Go2435, it doesn't have an USB socket on it, it uses TomTom's proprietary 20-pin multiway socket like the other top end Go's

@ everyone... seems like another foul-up on the TT website as on the accessories page that dhn linked to, they are listing several items which won't fit that mode!

@anderson. I can't find any pics of the Go2425 on the US site, but if it's anything like the Go2435, it doesn't have an USB socket on it, it uses TomTom's proprietary 20-pin multiway socket like the other top end Go's
So this one must have come with a "dock" instead of a cable? Last time I saw a connection like that was on my GO740. I keep forgetting that my "GO"1535 Live is really a "Via" unit in disguise, and that I mustn't think of the microUSB as normal for newer GO units.

Yeah, TomTom is showing the 'universal' home charger as appropriate for the 2435, and those certainly will NOT work with any of the units with the oddball connector.

So this one must have come with a "dock" instead of a cable?

Not really..... the windscreen mount is passive, with a slot at the bottom that the multipin cable plug clips into loosely . It is left floppy, so that when you attach the device to the mount, the little magnets in both the plug and the unit mate up and pull the plug into the correct position in the base.

For home use with the pc, you just use the same cable but without the mount.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Go1000_Magnets.jpg
    Go1000_Magnets.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,218
Ah, there's a useful picture! Looks very much like the GOx40 unit connector but with the magnets added.

Very similar indeed! Electrically identical, but missing the physical latches that I guess must be on the GOx40 version.

I've got a PC dock for my GOx40 but I was never given anything for my GO950, so sometimes if I want to charge them both at once at home and I can't be bothered to get the mount out of the car, I use the Go1000's USB cable in the GO950 and a big red rubber band round the whole thing to hold it in place!
Not very elegant, but it works!

For completeness, Canderson, here's a pic of the windscreen mount, showing how the multipin plug just pushes through the slot.

Go1000_mount.jpg

There are two small depressions on the ends of the plug which match up with two small dimples on the sides of the slot. That's enough to hold the plug in place, but it can move up and down about 1/8" in the slot and the magnets do the final positioning.

But I think we're drifting rather badly off-topic now! Sorry 'Uccia'!

Basically, all you need is the cable that came with the windscreen mount (or another just like it) and any standard house mains supply to USB charger.

But you were provided with a cable to connect the unit to the computer. And that cable DOES have a usb connector to fit into the computer. Well, it is that usb connector that fits into AC chargers such as those found here:
http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/go-2535-tm-wte/#tab:accessories

(second row, right hand side).
@dhn
I have a charger for my iPad that has acable with a USB connection to the plug portion, can I just swap out the Apple cable from the plug and use the TomTom cable in its place to charge my GPS at home?

Yup, and your iPad charger should do a pretty quick job of it, too. Those are nice, high current chargers.

I do think so. I'm just looking at a couple of Apple AC chargers here (they are my wife's). One has specs for 5V output at 1A. That's the same as the TomTom AC charger. The other says 5.1V at 2.1A. Tomtom itself offers a fast charger connector for the cig lighter having the same 5.1V/2.1A specs.

So I suspect either will do...........

Ask a Question