Waiting for a valid GPS signal...

TomTom Model(s)
One
My TomTom One has just recently decided not to work anymore. I was going on the road yesterday so I did an update to get the latest GPS fix. I then jumped in the car and took off. Then I noticed my TomTom was not getting a GPS lock at all. I've reset the factory settings, didn't help. I restored an old backup...still no good. Then I noticed that when I was operating the TomTom through the TomTom Home software, it was finding GPS' like crazy. So then I turned it off, unplugged it, turned it back on...and when unplugged from my PC, still no GPS. HELP!?!?!

sometimes the gps fix is corrupted. Wait for the next gpx fix and it will probably be ok

Usually, GPS units have a hard time getting their first lock of the day if they're already moving. I usually fire up the GPS in the car a few minutes before I start off first thing in the day. After that first lock of the day, it should get a lock even if moving the next few power ons.

If you can't get a lock even if you're standing still, then some of the stored GPS data in your unit is probably incorrect. Rather than waiting for the next GPS fix, there's a faster way to fix your GPS unit.

Find a spot where the GPS will have an unobstructed view of a large portion of the sky (not indoors, away from tall trees/buildings). Set it down and turn on the GPS. After a few minutes (20 minutes at most), it'll eventually get a GPS lock.

That should clear any incorrect data so that the next time you turn on your unit, it'll get your lock pretty quickly.

Tom

Why would it work while plugged into the PC though? Thats the part that both gives me hope that the thing will eventually work, but also the part that confuses me the most.

I had the exact same problem with my ONE LE about a month ago and I tried my level best to troubleshoot it to get satellite lock but no luck. Finally called TOMTOM customer support & they emailed me this link: http://www.tomtom.com/6964. I followed all the steps mentioned in that link but did not help. Then I called CS again and this time they emailed a zip file & told me to extract and copy files to tomtom One unit. I did that and once again no GPS signal. I called them 3rd time and explained everything and CS told me to send the unit back to TOMTOM for repair and emailed me RMA & details of where to send. I did that about 2 weeks ago & last week I received a replacement unit(same model but has different serial no). Now I get satellite lock within 10 seconds of turning on the unit.

Your can try to do the following & see if it corrects your problem:
1. Try deleting QuickGPSfix from the device using TOMTOM Home software. Click on 'Remove items' & select 'items on the device' and select QuickGPSfix to remove.
2. Try this 'Clear flash tool' from this link:http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_us.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6211&Lid=4

If nothing fixes your problem, you can call TOMTOM customer support. Hope this helps. BTW what is your ONE model?

I got mine working by reselecting the USA+Canada maps per one of their suggestions. I never would have guessed that would work but it did. This was their response to me:

We understand that you have attempted some self-troubleshooting. To ensure that all available steps have been taken, we ask that you visit our online assistance page at:

http://www.tomtom.com/6964

If these steps have all proven unsuccessful for you. There are several others we can try that may correct this. First, we will ask that you re-select your USA and Canada map on your device. Instructions to do so can be found on our website at:

http://www.tomtom.com/5345

After re-selecting the map, we will ask you to try and connect with our satellites. To do this, please take the device to an outdoor location with a clear view of the sky. It will be necessary for the device to be located outside of the vehicle when connecting with our satellites the first time. You can now power the device on, remain in one location and allow 5 minutes for the unit to receive the signal.

If this is not successful, we suggest performing a hard reset on your ONE 3rd Edition. Please note, performing a hard reset will remove any personal information saved on the system. It will not, however, remove the current application, map, or POIs on the device. Instructions for a hard reset can be found on our website at:

http://www.tomtom.com/7488

If you are unable to click the links provided above, please copy and paste it into the address bar of your Internet browser.

Once the hard reset has been performed, we will ask that you again take your device outside to receive an active signal (as outlined above). If your signal issues persist and your device was purchased more than one year ago, we will not be able to offer any further assistance. We do not perform paid repairs for devices that are out of warranty at this time. We regret any frustration that this may cause.

I had tried Hard Reset in my device but did not fix the problem. Glad to know that your were able to correct GPS satellite lock with 'Map Select'.

Thanks.

I had the same problem, no GPS signal after update. Did what you suggested,delete the QuickGPSfix from the device using TOMTOM Home software. And now my TomTom is working normaly.

Thanks nkotb

Sux that GPSFix is needed

I was taking a long trip (3 weeks) and was not able to bring a laptop along to get updates for the my One/XL tomtom. After the 2 weeks and going south thru MO (after Kansas City) the TomTom reported "waiting for valid GPS signal. Well.. if anyone knows MO it's pretty wide open with a clear view. It took nearly 120 miles for it to finally get a vaild signal. This happend multiple times as I traveled. Though there was no significant time (less than 5 mins) for it to find itself after spending the night's at hotels.

Like I said, it sux that apparrently it's required to have a computer with internet access to update the TomTom. BTW.. have googlemap software on my BB Curve and it doesn't have a problem finding me and tracking me. Very interesting.

I don't use qGPS at all and don't have any issues with the devices as long as they are used on a regular basis (every few days) and for a duration of 20 minutes or longer each time.

Make sure the GPS device has a position fix BEFORE you set off, once you are moving the device will struggle to a position fix and can take quite some time - Mike

Ask a Question