W & CE 850 2GB map now available

dhn

TomTom Model(s)
Go 50; Go 520
Finally, after a delay of a month, the map is being distriibuted through the various TomTom sites.

What is significant is that the 2GB map is MORE than 2 GB! It shows as 2264.2 mb. The info says this:

Users of devices with limited memory may not be able to install the complete map on their device, but will be able to choose between and switch map zones using TomTom HOME.

Perhaps that also means that users with models having sdhc slots (and at least a 4 gb sdhc card) can take advantage (again) of getting a full map rather than the 'condensed' version that they were previously limited to.

Well, the information also says this:

Detailed map seamlessly covering Europe now extended to include Greece, Turkey and Russia and improved with additional forests, lakes and built up areas

So it seems that more countries and more detail have been added.

Do not know how the 'zones' functionality of Home will work (I sure hope that got tested...:eek: ) but if does work properly, then I guess a user without a sd slot can remove zone1 map from the unit when the user needs zone2 installed?

We'll see how it plays out............

Biggest question is whether an owner with the full oversized map and sufficient SD space can route from one zone to another?

Certainly don't know how this 'map cutter' functionality will work, but if a user is capable of installing the entire map, maybe the routing will be seamless.

A fly in the ointment on the Canadian site is the map choice only shows 2 options: NA and Europe. Implies you will be offered the proper map for your device. Well, if I try with my 720, previously I just got the 'condensed' version. Wonder what gets offered now as there really is no condensed version as such.

Ask a Question