Vote for your most wanted new features here

With my Via 1435TM :

4 faster refresh rate ....Don't know how fast ..No reference ..
5 replaceable battery pack ... [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoBGIt8cdDc[/ame]
3 color code traffic congestion on the right-hand bar ... Not a big deal ..
5 disable stolen units .... good to have ...
4 choose a level of map detail that would remain at any zoom level from quick menue ..Good to have ..
3 see multiple route options (fastest, avoid highways, etc) on a map before selecting one ... Definately like to see ..
3 don't have legal disclaimer each time device is turned on ... Already have ..
1 automatically clear routes after arrival ... Definately neeed ...
3 create an itinerary online and transfer it to the tomtom(see this link) .. nice to have ..
5 preference for "browse/panning mode" while navigating .. can fdo it now ..
4 auto-power off when external power is disconnected .. Already have ..
3 auto-power on when external power is connected ... Already have ..

Google Maps

I am absolutely disappointed in the fact that ANY Tom-Tom model that uses the "My TomTom" interface instead of "TomTom Home" no longer has the capability to "send to GPS" from Google Maps.

I "upgraded" from a One XLS to a VIA 1505M ... and expected to see MORE functionality, not LESS!

I'm upset that there was ZERO mention of this on any of the feature sheets!
I would like to know:
1.) Does TomTom have a solution for my 1505M?
2.) Does TomTom even make any models that include this feature?
3.) Will TomTom offer me a refund, and apply it to the purchase of this model?
or
4.) Will TomTom be willing to lose me as a customer forever, as I am PISSED at having to find out all of this the HARD WAY! I'm definitely NOT a fan of "smoke and mirrors" and "another dollar, another dollar, another dollar" marketing tactics!:rant:

Hope we addressed this adequately in the other thread. For those that need better evidence, see here a typical Google Maps drop down. TomTom has been removed.

Attachments

• Google to GPS.jpg
    Google to GPS.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 420
Looks like it's time to go shopping for a Garmin, then. ;)

Like I said in the other thread, squabbling between multi-million dollar corporate entities often results in unfortunate situation for consumers ...

Squabbling? No .. just typical business relationships. Google and Teleatlas are in direct competition in the mapping business. Google isn't very happy with Apple, either.

Looks like it's time to go shopping for a Garmin, then. ;)

Like I said in the other thread, squabbling between multi-million dollar corporate entities often results in unfortunate situation for consumers ...
Be careful when shopping for a Garmin. I also follow another web site that is focused on POI files, and the threads there are filled with a littany of complaints from Garmin owners about the features that Garmin has removed from the newer models.

In addition, the literature and boxes of those sneaky folks at Garmin fail to provide lists of features that they do not have.

- Tom -

I want UK English voices in the US. I had them until the first software update. I also want my Big Ben Bong when I exceed the speed limit back.

I want a longer battery life on my next Sat Nav device. My new Go500 has a maximum battery life, off power, of 2 hours. My old 720 had a 5 hour battery life. It should also be possible to change the battery as easily as I can do on my mobile phone. The new Go500 has a very good audio level so that is a vast improvement on the older devices and one that was long overdue.

I own a 720, and am astounded that you were able to get 5 hour battery life, even when new! I'm pretty sure that this is the longest I have ever heard reported for any of their devices, especially one that is a bit more power hungry than some of the others!

On the whole, though, you'll find that these really aren't designed to be used as handheld devices for very long, nor is the form factor really convenient for carrying. As you'll find in my sig line, I have a fair number of Garmin units as well, and they're all handhelds just for this purpose. Much easier to carry, more rugged, free maps, and 8 hour battery life on a decent pair of NiMH cells is pretty common. The two types of devices are built for very different purposes even though they perform similar functions. If you do a lot of walking, hiking or other activities where having a GPS would be handy, I recommend units like the Garmin Oregon 450 (prices have come way down on these, too).

I own a 720, and am astounded that you were able to get 5 hour battery life, even when new! I'm pretty sure that this is the longest I have ever heard reported for any of their devices, especially one that is a bit more power hungry than some of the others!

On the whole, though, you'll find that these really aren't designed to be used as handheld devices for very long, nor is the form factor really convenient for carrying. As you'll find in my sig line, I have a fair number of Garmin units as well, and they're all handhelds just for this purpose. Much easier to carry, more rugged, free maps, and 8 hour battery life on a decent pair of NiMH cells is pretty common. The two types of devices are built for very different purposes even though they perform similar functions. If you do a lot of walking, hiking or other activities where having a GPS would be handy, I recommend units like the Garmin Oregon 450 (prices have come way down on these, too).

I used to regularly use it to walk around towns and cities and then to find my parked car at the end of my tour. You were advised to remove your sat nav from the car to avoid theft and it made sense to use the device for walking tours. It was advertised with a 5 hour battery and when it finally packed in a few months ago, I changed the battery, left it switched on and sometime after 4 hours (when I was asleep) it shut off. That was on a new £6 eBay battery. I plan to use my smartphone for Figgs tours in the future.

With all the devices mentioned in your signature you must use a large man bag to carry them all around with you.

Would be true if I carried them all at once! Some are replacements for others over time. For example, I rarely use the 720 these days, and the old Garmin Summit HC hasn't been fired up in quite a while. But I do have 2 running in the vehicle almost all the time (long story, and one is typically for the 'co-pilot'), and there's usually only one handheld with me at any give time.

I LOVE to take the handheld with me when I travel overseas. I can usually obtain very good free maps for it from OpenStreetMap. It would drive me nuts to buy entire map sets for any automotive PND when what I'm usually wanting to do is carry the handheld in a given spot for no more than a couple of days at a time. Fits better in the pocket, battery life is better, and maps don't cost me an arm and a leg for short term use. I've tried the smart phone thing, but have come to realize that between the added drain of the GPS chip (which surprised me) and the screen being lit so much of the time, it was really sucking down the battery life on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone. Oops -- guess you could add that as a GPS to the sig line as well!

Would be true if I carried them all at once! Some are replacements for others over time. For example, I rarely use the 720 these days, and the old Garmin Summit HC hasn't been fired up in quite a while. But I do have 2 running in the vehicle almost all the time (long story, and one is typically for the 'co-pilot'), and there's usually only one handheld with me at any give time.

I LOVE to take the handheld with me when I travel overseas. I can usually obtain very good free maps for it from OpenStreetMap. It would drive me nuts to buy entire map sets for any automotive PND when what I'm usually wanting to do is carry the handheld in a given spot for no more than a couple of days at a time. Fits better in the pocket, battery life is better, and maps don't cost me an arm and a leg for short term use. I've tried the smart phone thing, but have come to realize that between the added drain of the GPS chip (which surprised me) and the screen being lit so much of the time, it was really sucking down the battery life on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone. Oops -- guess you could add that as a GPS to the sig line as well!

A real pity about the man bag.

I did not use the 720 continuously on my rambles but used it to get to the interesting part of town and to find places I did not happen upon by chance but it was of most use when I needed to find my car. My new smartphone will have a replaceable battery, so I can carry a spare and it is also possible to buy a power pack for emergencies. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a power pack which is compatible with a sat nav, this I discovered when it first started to switch off on battery power.

Actually, the same sort of auxiliary power devices that are used for iPod devices and phones works with a GPS as well. They have these little universal bricks that you plug into the wall (they're small) that you plug your USB cable into to get extra power as though plugged into a mains adapter or car adapter.

I'm not recommending this particular one (in fact, it looks a bit overpriced, and I prefer the ones with just the USB-A connector instead of all the little cords), just pointing out what they might look like and that they're fairly ubiquitous: http://www.amazon.com/myCharge-Peak...TM/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&qid=1387724956&sr=8-52
They have ones that you can charge from the mains (as above) or those that require that you plug them into a computer to charge (takes a lot longer).

Actually, the same sort of auxiliary power devices that are used for iPod devices and phones works with a GPS as well. They have these little universal bricks that you plug into the wall (they're small) that you plug your USB cable into to get extra power as though plugged into a mains adapter or car adapter.

I'm not recommending this particular one (in fact, it looks a bit overpriced, and I prefer the ones with just the USB-A connector instead of all the little cords), just pointing out what they might look like and that they're fairly ubiquitous: http://www.amazon.com/myCharge-Peak...TM/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&qid=1387724956&sr=8-52
They have ones that you can charge from the mains (as above) or those that require that you plug them into a computer to charge (takes a lot longer).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10000mAh-Po...F8&qid=1387745703&sr=1-12&keywords=power+bank

When my GO720 battery started acting up, I read good reports on this power pack. I sent a query to the seller and he told me it would not work on any sat nav. Do I just need one with a micro USB connection to my sat nav and a normal USB2 for charging the power pack.

The seller was correct, and I'm pleased that they correctly advised you. That particular unit has a tiny little USB Micro-B connector on it, and the cable supplied is Micro USB-B to Micro USB-B. The cable you would need to fit to the 720 would have been a real oddball .. Mini USB-B to Micro USB-B. They may be out there, but I haven't ever seen one.

As I say, the easiest to use are the ones that have the standard USB-A connector on them (like you find on your PC). Then you can just use whatever cable came with your unit, or you can readily get another of that type.

Last edited:
The seller was correct, and I'm pleased that they correctly advised you. That particular unit has a tiny little USB Micro-B connector on it, and the cable supplied is Micro USB-B to Micro USB-B. The cable you would need to fit to the 720 would have been a real oddball .. Mini USB-B to Micro USB-B. They may be out there, but I haven't ever seen one.

As I say, the easiest to use are the ones that have the standard USB-A connector on them (like you find on your PC). Then you can just use whatever cable came with your unit, or you can readily get another of that type.

Thank you once again for your invaluable advise. I'm not planning any tours just yet so I have time to work out the best one to buy to supplement my Go500 and my soon to be bought smartphone, possibly a Samsung

I want UK English voices in the US. I had them until the first software update. I also want my Big Ben Bong when I exceed the speed limit back.

Sorry I'd not seen this earlier... If you get in contact, I can send you the sound file for BigBen for you to add to your TomTom using "Add community content"

I would like to vote for

3 don't have legal disclaimer each time device is turned on... the one where it says "It is your responsibility....."

See your other thread. I do not believe that this is normal behavior.

Having read this thread after I posted I realised that other seem to have this on their wish list. I have replied to other thread as well

Ask a Question