Vote for your most wanted new features here

ability to import more custom POI or third party POI
Apart from total memory, there's no limit. If you are running the most current version of MyTomTom, you can now load up all of the custom POIs you can fit on your unit.
breadcrumbs / ability to track travel history
That's been on the list of a number of people for quite some time. On prior models, there was a 3rd party application that could handle this. Of course, the aren't any 3rd party apps for the new models.

My idea:

Better route calculation and ETA for trailer/caravan drivers

• I think a great idea is to have an option to choose that you are driving with a trailer (or caravan). The software should then automatically take into account the maximum allowed speed for cars with a trailer or caravan in a particular country (as this is not the same for all countries). The software should use this information while calculating an optimal route and for giving a much better prediction for the arrival time. Also, the maximum speed warnings should be adapted automatically in order to correspond to the actual maximum speed allowed for the car with trailer or caravan.

Note that this idea does not include taking into account the limited possibilities when driving with a trailer or caravan (like avoiding very narrow roads with sharp turns and steep inclines), as this is already implemented in the ‘truck’-versions of the TomTom devices.
Rating of other ideas:

• 2 navigate to street before city (or choose "anywhere" as city)
  • 1 vocalize which side of the street the destination is on
  • 4 improved selection of long vs short road segments in mapshare
  • 4 mapshare edits on segments of streets, not just between intersections
  • 5 auto-sorting of fastest order of stops on an itinerary
  • 2 alphanumeric house number input
  • 3 see multiple route options (fastest, avoid highways, etc) on a map before selecting one
  • 1 automatically clear routes after arrival
  • 5 ability to avoid roads based on vehicle restrictions (in the US)
  • 1 altimeter
  • 1 digital compass
  • 5 Time-of-day map features (road restrictions/turn restrictions)
  • 5 Auto-timezone-adjustment
  • 3 breadcrumbs / ability to track travel history
  • 1 faster refresh rate
  • 3 show the current RDS-TMC frequency
  • 4 ability to save entire routes
  • 1 augmented reality (overlay camera pic) on iPhone
  • 4 "send me to an unverified mapshare edit" option to allow crowdsourced validation
  • 5 permit more than 48 waypoints

Last edited:
I have another idea which is easy to implement:

Option to choose in which countries the 'Avoid toll roads' option should be active

• With the current TomTom models, it's possible to choose whether to avoid toll roads or not. But it would be handy if one was able to choose this option on a country by country basis. The reason behind this idea is that in some countries (for example Switzerland), one has to have a 'vignette' in order to drive on the toll roads. This is not the case in France for example. If someone wants to travel from Calais (France) to Lausanne (Switzerland) and does not want to buy the 'vignette' (but does want to use the French toll roads), he/she could then simply choose to only check Switzerland in the 'Avoid toll roads' list.

This feature could be implemented by using a country list with check boxes (so just like the 'Show POI on map' list).

Nice idea, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you can think of a nice easy tickbox menu, that it would actually be easy to implement.

Hi,
I am new to the forum, living in the UK and using a TomTom Rider (Motorcycle version).
As I do a lot of itinery planning, my most important wants are:-
TomTom Home to use full screen for planning. Currently I use "Routeconverter" and import the files.
I often need more than 48 waypoints.
I want the planner to go to the next waypoint (as Garmin does) if I am (say) 1 mile past a waypoint and NOT insist I go back (or stop and reprogram to "visited").
Cheers,
Merseysippi

@Merseysippi
If you need more than 48 waypoints, just create more than one itinerary file, and when you're done with the first one, load up the next, etc. Each can have 48 points, and the number of files (all with unique *.itn names, of course) is whatever your unit has left for memory.

About the only units still for sale over there that can do the job without menu hacking are the XXL IQRoutes Europe (5" screen) units, I think.

Hi,
I am new to the forum, living in the UK and using a TomTom Rider (Motorcycle version).
As I do a lot of itinery planning, my most important wants are:-
TomTom Home to use full screen for planning. Currently I use "Routeconverter" and import the files.
I have not used it myself, but I have seen a number of complementary remarks on the web about a free third-party program called TYRE that is intended specifically for itinerary planning on the earlier models of TomTom. The program is written by a motorcyclist and I believe that it can use the full screen of your computer for itinerary planning. It is limited to 48 waypoints, but I think that may be a limit of the GPS units, not a limit imposed by TYRE itself.

Since none of the current models from TomTom still use HOME, I suspect that they are not likely to add the features to it that you are seeking. Since TYRE is free and has had so many compliments on the web, it may be that your best option is to give it a try to seek if it meets your desires.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Am I misunderstanding that Merseysippi is looking for another unit, and not just an easier way to use his existing Rider?

Am I misunderstanding that Merseysippi is looking for another unit, and not just an easier way to use his existing Rider?
My impression from reading his message was - and still is - that he was looking for improved capabilities from HOME. If I am misreading his post, and he is looking for a new GPS, then my reply was obviously of little value.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

It's this line that makes me think that he's after a new unit...
"I want the planner to go to the next waypoint (as Garmin does) if I am (say) 1 mile past a waypoint and NOT insist I go back (or stop and reprogram to "visited")."

That's not something that an update to Home would do.

There's always the XXL and there are several Go and Via models with 5" screens now.

And the latest Go models have very good clear sound systems, much better than my Go720 and XL

- Remove the range limit on POI searches!!
- Add the ability to copy Favorites.ov2 from Computer to Go 2535 Live via MyTomTom (currently can only go from TT to Computer, no way to go from Computer back to TT. Makes backing up Favorites.ov2 sort of pointless if you can't get them back onto the device.)

Oh, and fix annoying issue that is causing my Favorites.ov2 to get corrupted!!!

Ask a Question