Voice directions

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom 720
I have a 720 version7.221 and at first it would tell me when to turn. Then it just quit doing it. I call myself turning everything on that needs to be!!! I have only used it about 4 times now. Need help!!!!! I hear people having problems with the new updates. Can someone give me a step by step on how to get it to talk directions again????

I have a 720 version7.221 and at first it would tell me when to turn. Then it just quit doing it. I call myself turning everything on that needs to be!!! I have only used it about 4 times now. Need help!!!!! I hear people having problems with the new updates. Can someone give me a step by step on how to get it to talk directions again????

Are you using a computer voice? If not, try one.

I am using a computer voice!!! Do I need to do a reset to correct all this???

I am also anxious to hear how you get your unit back in working order..sorry that I cannot give you the answer. Mine has dropped the 'you have reached your destination' in both computer voice and my lovely wife's recorded voice.

Question for DHN...looking at Cajun's avatar, what map version does one have to have to get the building footprint views? I am using US version 720 and I have never seen building outlines before. TIA...Steve

I just updated to new version 8.010. Will have to try it out now
Hope someone else that has had this problem can chime in and help out!!!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9m; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

The building outlines are often found in the downtown areas. It's not a setting, merely being in the right place makes them show up.

There seems to be some indication that map version 720 has screwed up computer voices and other output on various units. Some are reporting that the computer voices are now saying completely different names than the correct street name; others such as in this thread are saying that certain audibles such as 'you've reached ..." have gone AWOL.

To be clear, these issues are NOT the same as VR getting killed by Navcore 8 under certain conditions.

My only thought (other than (1) a pin reset (2) clear flash tool (3) call support) is to revert to a 715 map from a backup and see whether the appropriate audibles return. If they do, you 'know' it's the map that is at fault.

Some are reporting that the computer voices are now saying completely different names than the correct street name; others such as in this thread are saying that certain audibles such as 'you've reached ..." have gone AWOL.

In your maps folder on tomtom, copy the file cphoneme.dat to a safe location. Now delete it from the maps folder on tomtom. Try the unit and see if it works correctly. I had that problem once when for some reason the file didn't get upgraded correctly.
HTH:D

I want to thank everyone for the replys. I called tom tom and the lady talked me through a reset and then a set up. I will try it out tommorrow and let you all know if that fixed it!!!!

Well, I will have to say that TomTom support did help me out!!!!:eek:
Everything is working great now!!!!

Well, I will have to say that TomTom support did help me out!!!!:eek:
Everything is working great now!!!!

Can be more specific re the solution?

I called TT last Monday to report the tts breakdown with the map update to 720 and I was assured that I would get feedback by Thursday or Friday. It never happened :mad: .

I belive her name was linda, I told her my problem and that I downloaded the lastest update and it did not still talk out the directions. I had to do a reset. Turn unit off and take a small pin and hold the reset button down for 15 seconds. (reset hole located on bottom of unit). Then turn unit back on and select the computer voice you want. Also make sure you have the turn off sound with the X across it and the disable voice also . make sure when you have the nav .screen showing that you tap on the lower left corner and slide volume all the way up. I hope this will help someone!!!!

In your maps folder on tomtom, copy the file cphoneme.dat to a safe location. Now delete it from the maps folder on tomtom. Try the unit and see if it works correctly. I had that problem once when for some reason the file didn't get upgraded correctly.
HTH:D
I tried this fix and it worked! Just wondering how you knew to do it AND how deleting such a large file won't mess thing's up... just seems very odd. But, it did cure the problem.

Ask a Question