Voice Breaking Up Again on GO 740

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 620
Recently I had a 4 hours trip from Philly to Connecticut. The trip to there is fine, but when I was on the return trip, the voice direction start to break up again. (by again I mean it happen on my GO 920 with 8.30)
I have the lastest firmware and map installed (9.058 and NA 2GB map v880)

And the weird thing is, it only happen on the return trip. I have a feeling its has something to do with the memory of the decive because of the long trip. (I looked at the status and it said it has 2 MB of free ram after I arrived home and cleared the route)

The way the voice break up is like:
On a 1/4 of a mile ................................................. Turn right .................................... XXXXXXX(street name)
(if there is another instruction after that it will be like)
....................................then....................................Keep to the left
Usually its not a problem but when there is a turn immediately after it, its very easy to miss it as the instruction comes late.

Anyone has a possible solution to it?

Strange ............... battery charged in the unit and using the car charger?

Try a pin reset and see if it happens again.

Yeah, I get it sometimes on my Go940... especially when a Reality View (lane guidance) picture comes on screen.

The most common one is "After three hundred.................yards.......... turn right"

It's almost as if it has suddenly thought to itself "Heck! Am I supposed to be working in yards or metres here?" ... and it goes off to check!

-1 on my 740. Haven't had that happen (yet). In fact, haven't seen that since some bad firmware back in the 8.XXX days.

The unit is fully charged and is plugged in to a power source so power shouldn't be a problem.
It only happens on a long trip. When I used it on a short trip from and to work, there is zero problem.

And the strange thing is, it only happen on the return trip but not the trip to there.

Darn. Still smells like a charging/battery issue.

Question ... is the light on the top button staying green, especially during the latter part of a long trip? You might not even notice the color of the light depending upon time of day and where your unit is mounted.

I'm wondering whether or not the charger providing inadequate charge current (or voltage) and your 740 is 'losing ground' over a period of time - i.e., the charger is providing less charge than the unit is using - and your battery really is starting to become depleted.

Given the 'green light', that seems to eliminate power as the issue. That leaves us with an overtaxed CPU. Guess the next line of attack is what might be causing that. The 2MB of free RAM is of no particular concern .. the unit will attempt to move as much useful information as possible to DRAM from flash.

Another question: did you see anything odd in the display? Did your vehicle icon appear to be behind your actual position, or was the driving view map update smooth or jerky?

I'll tell you that my first inclination should I see anything like this would be to perform a 'drum' reset by holding the power button for 20 seconds or however long it takes to hear the drum roll and see the TomTom logo.

The driving view is smooth. It is no difference between that run and any other runs.
Another weird part of that trip is that, when it get closer and closer to the end if the trip, the break up time seems to be shorten. When I am ~ 5 to 10 miles away from arrival, the break up disappeared. :confused:

Last question I can think to ask - then I'm stumped for now...

If you have subscribed to Live traffic, how was your signal and do you recall what the traffic looked like during the periods of voice weirdness? I'm looking for something happening 'under the hood' that could have been eating tons of CPU cycles. I haven't seen background recalculation of routes due to traffic tie my unit up so much that it hesitated with directions, but hey ...

Still may be a power issue ........ the green light may signify there is power to the unit but there may not be enough to process data properly and, as we know, text to speech processing takes a lot of oomph, so to speak.

I think if the OP goes to the diagnostic screen, one value is the battery level. If so, that may prove interesting...... or not :confused:

@dhn
Unless the unit is malfunctioning beyond our ability to deal with it, the light under the power button wouldn't go green unless it thought it was at 95%+ charged. Below that, even while charging, the light is orangish in color.

I do remember on the way there(philly to ct) there is one traffic on route but I reroute it. On the way back there is 3 traffic reports. All were ~3-5 minutes delay. Umm maybe that has something to do with it because I didn't reroute on the trip back

Another question, kind of off topic. I am planning to get a new GPS after live services expired and just want to know, is there any new tomtom devices that does not have the easy menu? Or should I ask "Will" there be one? Cause as far as I know, all the new model(2535, etc) has the easy menu which I don't like(and I believe most of the people don't if they used a TomTom with full menu before)

You'd be hard pressed to get my 740 Live away from me, that's for sure.

While the EasyMenu comes on nearly all of the newer models, the version of EasyMenu here isn't missing the same features as on the previous devices. For example, on my GO1535, I am able to navigate to coordinates - something none of the previous platform EasyMenu devices offer. So it's really the older platform devices that are crippled by that interface.

That said, ALL of the newer platform devices are missing things like itinerary planning, and unlike previous devices, you can't fiddle these units to get that functionality back.

If my 740 Live had a 5" screen, I'd be a truly happy camper, but I'm more than prepared to live with it until they improve the feature set on these new units to at least bring us back to where we were before.

I see. Well since my live services won't be expire until like september, I can still "hope" for newer devices and a fully functional myTomTom lol

So after the 9.4 update, the voice break-up become worse. Now even in a 20 minutes trip the voice break up too. It only happen in the middle of the trip (in the 8 to 12 minute range)
I tried holding down the power to restart the tomtom, also backup and complete format the drive, then download the application and maps again into the device, but it still doesn't help. Any suggestion?
I also tried using the clear flash tool 3 times but no luck

940 Live is pausing navigation audio for no reason, certainly gets worse if you set the mp3 play outputting music to the car via Bluetooth, it even pauses the music when it's about to speak using a TTS voice, this is with it set NOT to pause the music for nav instructions, I might rig the video camera up in the Volvo to capture what it is doing - Mike

Ask a Question