Vista, TomTom Home, TT One 3rd edition help request

Hi folks..

I just bought TomTom One 3rd edition yesterday. I'm already frustrated with it. I cannot get the GPS unit to talk to my Vista Ultimate system. I've done everything I can possibly think of except stand on my head and spit nickels. I've moved the cable to a different USB port. I've installed and uninstalled the Home software. I was able to download the later version of the software... then I uninstalled the CD version with the updated online version... no luck. I've hit the reset button on the TomTom. I've reset the factory defaults on it. I've searched all over the 'net for a solution, and haven't found one that works. I have McAfee software on, but TomTom Home has full access rights to the network. I've also turned off all firewall software, and tried connecting.. that still doesn't work. I'm ready to send the unit back to TomTom to tell them where to StickStick it.

What happens is that I have the TomTom one cable hooked in properly. I turn it on. It does come up with the screen "Computer Do you want to connect to 'Computer'? No Yes". When I hit yes, it goes through a 'reboot' type thing, then comes back to the same prompt. Vista wants to find a driver for it, but there IS no driver for it, plus it all of a sudden sees it as 'disconnected'.

I'm on my wits end at this point. I sent an email to TomTom support, but I have heard absolutely NOTHING from them. (how patient should I be with them?)

Anyone have any solution to get Home and the unit talking??

Thanks...
Nicole

Yes, flash works

Hi folks..

Yes, my other USB devices work.

I took the new TomTom to an XP system (work pc..shhhhhh....), and it worked... (whew! Thought I was going to have to return!). So, it's something with the Vista config.............

I have tt910 installed on vista ultimate with no problems, but have had other problems with Vista involving the standard and administrative users in user control mode.

How did you set Vista up as far as user control modes - and in which user mode mode did you install TT Home ? I have set up User Control with an admin user and a standard, and all my applications are on the standard user.

Earlier, I had user modes off, so my main user account was in admin mode. Did not have any problems that way either (but had an HP motherboard go out again when connecting the TT), so replaced it with a branded motherboard and did a clean install with user control mode on.

If you are running TT home in standard mode, you might run it as an administrator - Vista might be blocking something in the start-up mode for TT home that this might free up. Otherwise, try un-installing it and re-installing it.

Vista is badly in need of a SP 1 upgrade - as there are many quirks that keep popping up in the different modes.

I'm having the exact same problem with a TomTom v4 and Vista Ultimate. I've tried changing cables, re-installing apps, different USB ports etc. but nothing seems to help. My problem is that I don't have any XP machines, just two Vista machines!! :(

Any one have any other ideas on getting this to work?

Works fine on my Vista. Not sure why people are having problems with what they describe to be a driver-related issue, unless the networking hardware in the v3 TomTom Ones has changed significantly.

The only other thing I could think of is to try Start > Control Panel (Classic View) > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, and check to see if the device is listed as an unassigned volume. Occasionally Windows has trouble assigning a physical removable storage device a logical disk letter.

Works fine on my Vista. Not sure why people are having problems with what they describe to be a driver-related issue, unless the networking hardware in the v3 TomTom Ones has changed significantly.

The only other thing I could think of is to try Start > Control Panel (Classic View) > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, and check to see if the device is listed as an unassigned volume. Occasionally Windows has trouble assigning a physical removable storage device a logical disk letter.
othersteve, thanks! this is what fixed my problem (update in progress as i type). Launching TomTom Home kept saying that F: was not available.

I couldn't figure out how to assign a drive letter (heh, tried inserting a thumb-drive, mapping a network drive to E:, etc.) but your Computer Management tip was the trick!

thanks for taking the time to post it.

vista and TomTom

I had this issue, once I signed on as administrator, it worked just fine.:)

Ask a Question