Virtual TomTom limitations

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd Edition
I noticed that when using Virtual TomTom from TomTom Home 2.1 in Windows, the shift key is dead.

When correcting roads & POI's with MapShare, it's so much easier to use Virtual TomTom with the PC keyboard. However, only the first letter of your entry will be capitalized. You don't have access to the on-screen keyboard and your PC shift key does absolutely nothing.

"Ace's bar and grill"

The only way to capitalize more letters in the entry is to manually enter MapShare from the TomTom screen. Geesh!

"Ace's Bar and Grill"

Maybe there is a hidden key combination but I tried a bunch and nothing seems to activate the key-shift.

Well my Windows PC died last week so I'm now running the earlier version of HOME on my Mac. I played around with the virtual TomTom on Windows and thought it was clever, but aside from that I didn't see much point to it. Elsewhere I read that you could use it to get traffic and weather reports over your internet connection, but that didn't work for me.

So if you don't even have the advantage of using a real keyboard properly, what is the point of this feature? I'd just as soon do everything with the real GPS in my hands.

So if you don't even have the advantage of using a real keyboard properly, what is the point of this feature?

Because typing on a keyboard with ten fingers is easier/faster than pecking away at a tiny little touch screen with one finger. Even without the shift key, making MapShare corrections is faster.

Too bad the GPS itself can't use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. That would also be a cool way to login to the Linux console :)

I don't really mind typing things on the touchscreen myself because I don't usually do much text entry. But I like the idea of being able to plan routes and do things wherever I am using a little device that fits in my pocket. I already spend way too much time sitting in front of my computer.

Too bad the GPS itself can't use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. That would also be a cool way to login to the Linux console :)

I don't really mind typing things on the touchscreen myself because I don't usually do much text entry. But I like the idea of being able to plan routes and do things wherever I am using a little device that fits in my pocket. I already spend way too much time sitting in front of my computer.

Me too. Adding those things via bluetooth would probably add a ton of programming overhead, not to mention the various device compatibility issues. I'd suggest adding a keyboard/mouse via the USB port but again... programming overhead.

It's really just the MapShare thing. Sometimes there is a lot to do when getting a correction entered. A whole bunch of screens and choices to make... accidently hit that stupid "back" button and you are ejected all the way out. It seems like I can fly through making various changes on the PC. Also, selecting roads or repositioning a POI with your finger on such a tiny screen can get tricky. Nothing beats the precision of a mouse.

Ask a Question