Viewing POI names in Map View

Hello, just got my TomTom 920 for x-mas. Coming from a Garmin I love some of the new features yet miss some of the other features I had (like always announcing street names before making turn, not being asked "there are unpaved roads in route" when I'm in a town that does not use unpaved roads to go from point A to B in my route) Ok enough rambling.

Is there a way to have POI names display on screen when traveling or be able to click on a POI to get its name or details. I know I can do this in browse map view but that requires a few menu clicks.

There has got to be a better way, am I missing something?

I know some popular shops (target, wal-mart) are identified with a graphic but the majority are displayed as a generic icon. Same goes for restaurants and Gas. It would be nice to know what restaurants are where.

Can I assign an icon to other popular POIs that are in the device database rather then loading a whole poi file (that I download) that might duplicate the current entries? Like lets say I want all Mobil Gas stations identified with an icon. Can I get the icon and call it Mobil.bmp for it to be linked to existing database inside my device?

Last edited:
Is there a way to have POI names display on screen when traveling or be able to click on a POI to get its name or details. I know I can do this in browse map view but that requires a few menu clicks.

There has got to be a better way, am I missing something?

No, your not missing anything. It's not possible at the moment to display name or details of a POI in the navigation window.

This is something I am looking to do. Has there been any progress since the topic began that means that this can now be done?

You are responding in a thread almost 3 years old.

In any event, in the Browse Map screen, if you tap on a poi, and if there is additional information (like a phone number), it'll appear on the right side of the screen.

Ask a Question