View Data In Your Poi.dat File

TomTom Model(s)
GO 910, ONE V2, GO 920 GO 730 & iPad TT App
This application comes from Ray's site. this application allows you to view the poi details inside the poi.dat file, name, phone number & Long Lat data. Download it here.

Nice find. I was actually going to post a thread looking for a way to view the TT standard POIs. I tried this out, is there any way to search, extract, or can you only view the entire file?

NICE!!!!!

This was actually next on my list of things to do/find. Thanks Ray! Thanks p for sharing...

Now adding a search and a way to add poi's through this would be great!

Last edited:
tons of questions

Ok ive read I think so many threads, I have seen poi creations come from POI edit, Uk software. My Question is this, On the program its made for EU applications, but i see they also have tons of poi software programs. They all seem to have an auto upgrade feature to stock up on POI. Is there system integration circles, Ive downloaded just about every poi posted and have filtered for dupes and uploaded, is fantastic, well ya never know when i comes in handy, Ok question is how the heck can I make poi with it, sorry for being such a newbie but several guys on here Pedro included are masters at POI creation. OK Masters young jedi here willing to learn,

It's easy. Use POIEdit (FYI, a Dutch program) to save an .ov2 file as a .csv file, open the .csv with Excel and you will see the exact format that is required for the TT.

Just create a new Excel file with the info you have (Long./Lat./"description") in the same format, save it as a csv file and then use POIEdit to convert that to an .ov2 file. POIEdit can open/convert from a variety of formats.

will this allow us to correct spelling mistakes, etc? It really bugs me that only the first letter of the first word on all the POI's is capitalized.

Xyz restaurant and grille

should be XYZ Restaurant and Grille

Can we make those types of changes?

will this allow us to correct spelling mistakes, etc? It really bugs me that only the first letter of the first word on all the POI's is capitalized.

Xyz restaurant and grille

should be XYZ Restaurant and Grille

Can we make those types of changes?

The poidataviewer only allows you to view the contents of the poi.dat file.

There are other methods in which you can extract the contents of the poi.dat file. I was playing with that GestPoi.Dat program and if you really wanted to edit the capitalization you can. A bit of warning though, it may take a long time as there are thousands of locations.

More info found here.

ok More POI details

Ok everyone created and added my first list of poi, One thing i noticed(yes i scanned using poiedit for duplicates), After my upload everything worked great and had some questions, When the Data from my POI downloads were in place they were seperated from their own sub format, IE resteraunt in TT files have mcdonalds, Mcdonalds also shown on POI ad ons, These were duplicated, how do i extract TT data and cross referance to form a complete listing, Also If the subject you are looking for is a resteraunt shouldnt it be in under the poi of resteraunts, not individual icons and files. This must sound stupic and foolish but i must know. I have over 30 freinds i have given a TT to as a gift and am trying to come up with the ultimate upload for them. But i want to make sure its done right, Gas stations should be integrated with TT own gas station files, hotels, resteraunts, shops etc should be in a nice neat little file. lets be real if you wanted on place in particular type it in. iIf you are looking for whats around and not know, tom tom will tell you. am I off base. Oh also on the flip side, seems I know a tech guru at garmin thru a freind of a freind he is assisting me in trying to add Garmin POIs into the list. Help someone pls, the more info and input i have the more info i can share and create.

The poidataviewer only allows you to view the contents of the poi.dat file.

There are other methods in which you can extract the contents of the poi.dat file. I was playing with that GestPoi.Dat program and if you really wanted to edit the capitalization you can. A bit of warning though, it may take a long time as there are thousands of locations.

More info found here.

actually if it can be imported into Excel, it'll take about two seconds, that's why I'm hoping this is doable.

Link to Program

It seems the link to the program doesn't work anymore. Would someone please e-mail it to me? (e-mail address removed)

Thanks.

It seems the link to the program doesn't work anymore. Would someone please e-mail it to me? (e-mail address removed)

Thanks.

Sorry, I don't have the program.

Can you tell me how you did this? Did you use a macro to do this in excel?

Thanks.

From what I remember when I did it, I did use Excel macro but what ended up happening was I ended up with an extra column. One column was the original description, the second and third column was the coordinates, and the fourth column was the description with every word had a capital first letter. I wasn't able to replace the fourth column with the first for some reason.

It was awhile ago so I can't be anymore specific than that.

Ask a Question