VIA series have map scaling?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 2535 TM
I am a satisfied owner of a TomTom XXL 540-TM with only drawback being lack of ability to set the map scale on it which is the feature I miss most on my long gone Garmin. Yes, you can change the map scale on the XXL 540-TM but it will auto-zoom back to whatever setting TomTom wants it to be. I would like to be able to set the map scale myself and I notice the VIA series has a map scale bar on them. Looked up the manual for the VIA series online and one can change map scale. However no mention is made if the map scale will stay at the new setting or auto-zoom back to TomTom's scale.

Can anyone here confirm if the VIA (or any other/newer TomTom series) have the ability to hold a rescaled map?

The lack of being able to control the map scale bugs me just enough to point of considering going back to Garmin. I'd rather stick with TomTom if possible - would appreciate any info you people can give me on map zoom settings...

When you are talking about "map scaling" I'm guessing you are talking about the actual navigation display, not the "Browse map" view (because on "Browse map" the zoom level DOES stay where you left it).

If so, then Yes, you can switch off the auto-zoom on some, if not all, of the recent models.
On my Go1000 there are individual tick-boxes to switch auto-zoom on or off for both the 2D and 3D views .
It's in Settings / Advanced settings / page 3

I can't say for certain if that feature is available on EVERY Via model, but the on-line manual for one of them (here), DOES mention those options (on page 43), so I think you'll probably be OK.

Last edited:
Hi Andy - thanks for your reply and yes, I meant map scaling during actual navigation by the unit while driving.

I've looked into this a bit more and think the GO 25x5 TM fits my needs best as I like the large screen size. Just placed an order for a GO 2535 TM!

I got my GO 2535TM a week and half ago and have tried it out on road trips last weekend and today. I am pleased to report one can select the map scaling/zoom level although it does not tell you the scale/zoom setting. The mount is improved over my XXL 540TM's - that one always vibrated a bit but the GO 2535TM is steady as rock. Love the bigger screen and entering destinations is easier/faster over the XXL. About the only thing I miss is being able to add my own custom map color scheme but the GO has better map color selections than the XXL did in my opinion. Had no trouble connecting to MyTomTom the first time but have to yet try connecting again for upgrades.

About the only thing I miss is being able to add my own custom map color scheme

You can still do that!

In MyTomTom, click on Add Community Content.

MyTT_Add_Community_Content.jpg

Scroll down and there is a section to add colour schemes
You can use the same scheme you liked before!

MyTT_Add_Community_Content_all.jpg

Andy - thanks for letting me know about the custom color scheme option. I'll check into it when I have more time.

I'm all set up with MyTomTom account but still can't get it to accept my promo code for the lifetime map updates. The message I keep getting is "The activation code you have entered is not valid. Please try again." which is getting annoying after repeated attempts to submit the code. Any ideas on what I can do here?

Sorry... We don't get lifetime maps in the UK, so I've no experience of promo codes at all.

I'm all set up with MyTomTom account but still can't get it to accept my promo code for the lifetime map updates. The message I keep getting is "The activation code you have entered is not valid. Please try again." which is getting annoying after repeated attempts to submit the code. Any ideas on what I can do here?
I have heard stories of people getting units for which the activation code has already been used. (A returned unit being resold, etc.) I know that the proper message you should receive in such a case should state that information, and not what it is actually telling you. However, I have seen other vague and misleading messages on the TomTom web site, so I would not exclude this possibility.

I am not sure that it will be productive, but all I can think of is to call TomTom customer support and ask them why this problem is occurring. Bring up the possibility of a previous use of the activation code. If they cannot help solve your problem, you might ask your retailer for a replacement unit on the basis that one of the functions for which you paid is not working.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I just retried my promo code for free lifetime map updates just a moment ago after taking a week off from this. Lo and behold it was accepted this time and is currently in process of downloading a new map update. Looks like I'm all set now - fingers crossed!

Tom, you brought up a good point regarding the activation code already being used on a returned/resold unit. In my case the GO2535TM I have came from Warehouse Deals which is how Amazon resells returned items. All I know is my 2535's cords were never unwrapped and all paperwork looked perfect. It's main "issue" is a slight cosmetic flaw at the top rear of the unit which is hardly noticeable. I saved $57 buying this way and have always had good luck with the Warehouse Deals items in the past. That said, I still have a few days where I can return it but I will see how this map update goes which at the moment is looking good.

Map update went smoothly so all good here on that front!

Can't access "Add Community Content" in MyTomTom though. I'm logged in, says my device is connected and shows following fields:

Overview
Manage Content
Check for new items
Account details
Activate code

Is this where the "Add Community Content" would be shown? On TomTom's own forum I found this: Right click on the MyTomTom icon inthe system tray with your TomTom connected to your computer and you will find it there.

Well, I tried that and still don't see the "Add Community Content" option anywhere.

With the unit connected to the computer, the destop icon should show the 'Add community content' menu option. Try resetting the unit by holding the power button 10 seconds or so until you hear the drum sounds and connect to the computer again. See if the menu option appears.

I just tried holding the power button for 10 seconds as suggested but still have no menu other than 'MyTomTom' and 'Unpin this program from taskbar' when I right click on the TomTom desktop tray icon. I also have deleted/uninstalled the TomTom Home program (used for my XXL 540TM) as some users on the TomTom forum reported the Home program conflicts with the MyTomTom one. Once they removed Home then they got the menu to access the 'Add community content' option. So far nothing has worked for me and I see where others are frustrated with TomTom's move to the new MyTomTom interface as things are not working as smoothly as they should.

One other thing - have repeated the process to rest the unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds and there is no drum sound. Sound does work as it's set at 100% and I just tested it in the settings menu. Unit does connect successfully to MyTomTom though every time - just nothing but 'MyTomTom' / 'Unpin this program from taskbar' when I right click the tray icon. TomTom would have been better off to not mention the 'Add community content' option period as it is getting annoying trying to find/activate it!

Update - I have tried rebooting my PC then turning the GO2535TM on to no avail far as the 'Add community content' option goes. I do get the drum sound on the 2535 upon start up now though.

One other thing - have repeated the process to rest the unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds and there is no drum sound.
My personal experience has been that my unit requires much longer than 10 seconds to get a drum reboot. On a couple of occasions I have timed it crudely with my voice (counting "one thousand one, one thousand two, etc") and in each case my unit required approximately 20 seconds before I got the drumbeat and let go of the power button.

Regardless of the actual value for the time required, just hold down the power button until you get the drumbeat. That is what you are looking for as an indication that the unit is doing the functional equivalent of the traditional PC "cold reboot".

With best wishes,
- Tom -

For info, the menu item you're looking for should look like this:

3502d1321921509-via-series-have-map-scaling-mytt_add_community_content.jpg

Are you sure you've updated both the software in the TomTom AND the MyTomTom software? (older MyTT software didn't have the "Manage community content" item).

Attachments

• MyTT_Add_Community_Content.jpg
    MyTT_Add_Community_Content.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 500
Cache has been cleaned a few times already. Did the cold rest and did get the drumbeats after about 20 seconds. Unit connects to and is recognized by MyTomTom. Still no go on seeing the 'Add community content' option - in fact I don't even get that menu screen that Andy has posted above. All I have is a little picture of a TomTom with "TomTom GO 2535" under it then under that says 'Connected' with a small round green button to the left with a check mark inside it. My cursor does not activate anything - remains a simple pointer. As for the MyTomTom icon in my tray a right click only gives me two choices: 'MyTomTom' or 'Unpin this program from taskbar' so I am still out of luck here.

As for software updates MyTomTom says "Your navigation device is up to date. There are no updates waiting for installation." and I've tried reinstalling MyTomTom to no avail - still have this same issue.

Don't think there is anything else I can do but accept the fact I will not ever have access to community content which is not the end of the world. Does suck as it is a feature I should be able to access and did pay for!

Left-click, not right click on the desktop MyTT icon and see if you get Add Community Content when the unit is connected to the computer.

You did the drum reset. Also clear the cache in the settings of the desktop icon.

I uninstalled MyTomTom, cleaned out my cache/files then reinstalled MyTomTom. When prompted connected my 2535 and immediately got the menu screen (same as what Andy posted a picture of) in the lower right corner including the 'Add community content' option. Checked it out but there are no community items at this time for map colors. So all sounds good here, right?

Switched off the 2535, closed my internet browser then turned on the 2535 again which connected to MyTomTom straight away. Doing a left click on the tray icon does nothing as MyTomTom was already open in my internet browser. A right click only shows me two choices: 'MyTomTom' or 'Unpin this program from taskbar' (no settings show up so can't clear that icon's cache it appears) so looks like I'm back to square one here. Any ideas on what else I can do/check?

Other than resetting the unit and clearing the cache in the desktop, I don't know.........:(

Ask a Question