Via 180's problems....

Hi Guy's,

Last week I purchased two TomTom Via 180 units for both of my cars etc...

In both cases, I have come across the following problem where I will set up the unit with voices and alerts (POI & Safety alerts) and all works good. then all of a sudden I notice after the unit gets powered off (automatically via the battery saver setting) and manually powered back on, that the audible alerts disappear???... The visual indicators are still there however no sound any more... I have re-applied the settings many times and still the same deal.

I have searched other threads and what seems to solve a similar problem with other units is to perform a ?PIN Reset? however the only reset command that are applicable to the via 180?s is to hold the power button for 15 sec or more until it restarts (which I have performed) but still looses the audible sounds.

Another thing I have noticed is that when I switch the car ignition off, the battery saver mode kicks in and the unit will display the unit is shutting down and then counts down the 10 secs and then the shutdown picture displays. Sometime this display quite along time and sometimes short. When I then go to power it back up (by holding the power button for a few secs, the unit boots up where it left off literally, being the shut down image!!! I then have to try and power off and back on again to start up?

Now I know that some products have their ?lemons? however as I mentioned earlier, I have two of these brand new units and these problems are across the two of them?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TTF.

The Via model relies upon the cloud based MyHome3 interface and there is no user access to the file system on the unit.

Thus, there is precious little we can advise (short of returning the units) to assist users of that model nor any of the other newer 10x, 24x or 25x models.

Call Oz support and see what they suggest.....

1300 135 604

Yes, there is the option of returning both units however this is a well know problem...

It seems to occur when you install to the latest update as described in the cnet review thread

TomTom Via 180 Review - GPS

Is there a way to down grade to a previous software that does not have the well know bug? Is TomTom looking to fix this bug in a new release?

Afraid not, mate.

Without the user having access to the file system, it's not possible to downgrade the application, even if one could get hold of it.

The official response from TomTom support is...
"In the near future, you'll be able to get Map Update Service, Speed camera locations, Funny voices, Personalised POI's, Map Share changes and much more.

You can not update at this stage.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

Now that really is blatant false advertising!:mad:

I agree with Vlt06 that the advertising is false. And i am sure that under Australian consumer law the unit could be returned for a full refund.

HOWEVER, it is a great little unit and if Tomtom release all these features soon, then I think it will have been worth the wait.

I am not just sure how long my patience will last...

If TomTom people read this, please consider releasing one feature soon, to show progress, rather than release everything in six months or so...

Last edited:
There is a buzz starting that, within a week or 10 days, TT will release an app for the new model series that will include the provision for custom ov2 files AND the 865 map.

On the other hand, I'm sure you Aussies have heard the expression, "Don't hold your breath". :eek:

I, too, hope TT does something soon and that it all works!!

Ironically, I got a auto generated email from TomTom this morning to advise of new maps?.

Funny, they are still promoting updating your unit yet still no mention of the problems and features that will be canned after the update?. Poor Customer service here?:mad: BEWARE before updating!!!:eek:

There should have been an app update on February 14 to version 10.110.

While the primary change is the ability to load custom POI, it probably fixed other issues too.

Are you still having the problem after the update?

(also, I'm moving this to the GO 1xxx/2xxx/VIA forum)

To no surprise, I found there was no update...

Current OS version 10.050.xxxxxx and Current Map version V855.2886.

The only update was to the TomTom Home application for the PC.

Disappointing :mad:

Yes, we have since learned that the application update will be staggered over time to different models.

So far, the only model confirmed to have the update is the GO LIVE 1000.

Please post if/when you get an update, according to some Tomtom messages, it is days away. The app would be 10.110 (or later).

Then why does TomTom send me an email advising of an update when there is none....:confused:

There is no way especially on a dail basis that I will be trying for an update every day!!!

They should at least post on there website when updates are available:mad:

There is no way especially on a dail basis that I will be trying for an update every day!!!

Just leave the MyTomtom app running on your computer. Even without the Via connected, it will tell you when you have an update available. (the icon will change, and it will say "update available" when you click on the icon.)

Hi,

I am assuming that these problems also refer to the VIA 160.

I have just purchasesd an XL 250 and am happy with the operation except that it does NOT let you create a custom POI catagory or even add POI's to exsisting catagories.

1. Is this possible with the VIA 160?

2. Can you still correct errors on your own map on the VIA 160, e.g. when a street has been changed to a "No Entry"?

If the VIA 160 does these things and works as good as the XL 250, I have the oportunity to upgrade to the VIA 160

With all the problems stated above would you reccoment changing to the VIA 160?

If this should be posted elsewhere, I appologise.

A prompt response would be appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to TTF.

I know that UK owners of 1x models, NA uers of 2x users have been getting an application update that does allow for custom poi files to be uploaded.

Do you see a symbol on your MyTomTom icon (a green down arrow) signifying a new application is available for you?

I have just purchasesd an XL 250 and am happy with the operation except that it does NOT let you create a custom POI catagory or even add POI's to exsisting catagories.

An update to application 9.151 (or maybe 9.160) should have been released for the XL250 a few months ago, and it added custom POI capabilities. Install Tomtom HOME, and see if you get this update.

1. Is this possible with the VIA 160?

As of an update last week, yes.

2. Can you still correct errors on your own map on the VIA 160, e.g. when a street has been changed to a "No Entry"?

Yes, all Tomtoms permitted this since 2007.

With all the problems stated above would you reccoment changing to the VIA 160?

The Via hasn't been released in the USA so I don't know much about it. Hopefully others can comment on how it compares.

Hi
Thanks for the quick response and welcome.

After I posted, I found that you could add a POI to an exsisting catagory but cannot create a custom catagory.
(No manual supplied with unit !!! will download one when I find correct one)

Current operating system is 9.103 - I have not connected to Tomtom Home yet - willtry tonight.

Another problem I have is that my Home location is NOT on the map (even though I have lived there for 8 years). I live in a private village which is not shown on the map and the village does not have street names as the rely on the house number for identification.

When I request the unit to find my location it does BUT if I then save it as my "Home" it is unable to plot routes!!! I cannot find any way of modifying the map.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Re VIA 160, I was wandering if there was any benefit to changing from the XL 250.

Cheers
Alan

Because TomToms are road navigation units, they can only plot routes to the nearest mapped street. It can plot your house using a lat/long value but can't route you there if not on a known road.

That said, many do NOT show their actual home locations for security reasons if the unit is lost or stolen. So, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Well I changed my XL 250 for a VIA 160 yesterday and so far I am delighted with the capabilitoes, custom POI, altering maps for
'No Left Turn", "No Right Turn" etc without having to make the road 1 way.

I have not tried connecting to the Tomtom website yet as I was hoping to use explorer to "Backup" the device before I did for peace of mind.

Reading this thread seems that using explorer to backup is not an option !!! is this correct?

When I plug the device into my XP computer, I get an audible indication that somethinh is connected but cannot see it in explorer.

If I use device manager "Devices by Connection" view I can find Tomtom BUT when device manager is in "Device by Type" view it is not shown.

Is there any workaround as I would really prefer to see the contents of the VIA and back it up.

Cheers

Ask a Question