VIA 1605 vs previous series

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730, XL IQ Routes Edition, VIA 1605
I just picked up a new VIA 1605 from Costco. The lifetime maps and traffic drew me in. I've owned a GO 730 since 2008 and I bought an XL 550 (or something like that) for my wife a couple of years ago. Both these previous units have performed more or less brilliantly.

There is very little information on this new unit on the box, and no product manual that I can see or apparently download. I note with some real disappointment that itinerary planning is missing in the new VIA. Is that true? This is a serious shortcoming as I use these things on car club drives to plan a route that follows the roads I want in advance with TYRE (third party program). The elimination of itinerary functions means this unit, beautiful as it is, is useless for that kind of recreational driving. Up until now, even the cheapest TomTom units had the itinerary function, which placed them way ahead of Garmin in that regard.

Can I not use TYRE with this thing?

I also note that I can't seem to access either the internal memory or the SD card when I'm connected to my computer. What good is the extra memory if I can't move things onto and off of it?

You can't even get a case for it!

It seems I won't be disposing of my GO 730 any time soon and I may just take the VIA back since I can't use it the way I like to use these things. It's a pity since this unit had such potential.

Itinerary planning was missing from the 550 as well -- the difference being, you could manipulate the menu system on that model since you could still get to the file system. Not so with the Via 1605. The 1605 does allow you to plan to a final destination, then add 3 "via points" to your route that will take you to those on the way to your final. That's all the itinerary planning that ANY of the newer "Nav3" models support. You've already discovered that about your 1605. Buggers are locked down pretty tight.

As for moving things on and off the SD card, TomTom is working on that. You can certainly move POI files and recorded voices and sounds to your unit. It's just not done the way you're accustomed to doing it on your older units. You can move new maps to your unit, and they're working at allowing you to remove and reload them later.

No, you can't use Tyre - at least not the way you did in the past. If you use Tyre to create a list of POI to visit and create your own POI file, you can at least load that to your 1605.

Hang on to your 730. As you can see below, I'm also working with a Via 1605, but as you can see, hang on to my GO 740. Still, I really LOVE the display on the 1605. I just wish it was a Live unit.

Hello. seems we are in the same boat lol. i had Tomtom Go 720 for almost 4 Years, but something happened with it, probably the battery, So i was waiting Just like u for today to go to Costco and get the Via 1605TM. yeah i believe my Go 720 has better features than this one. So i went outside of Costco and i called Tomtom Service support. and i asked him alot of questions and he was really nice with me, well first of all no bluetooth. secondly, no menu, so he had to send it to my email. but so far i really love it. but let me tell u something maybe u did not notice yet. if u miss your right-left turn it will take the GPS awhile to re-calculate to the next turn. So u better not to miss your turn lol. well lets keep Costco receipt in case we have to take it back lol. u got 90 days to think about it. but so far it's nice.

I haven't found the recalculating function to be significanlty longer on a N3 device than on a N2 device. A few seconds longer under the same scenario, yes.

That said, if you are driving in a built up area (like a downtown area with parallel streets close to each other), you do have to be careful.

I find that hearing the computer voice in conjunction with glancing at the display showing the next turn at the top of the screen and the arrow sirection expected on the bottom really helps.

Itinerary planning was missing from the 550 as well

My wife's TT is an XL IQ Routes Edition. It can be hard to keep the names straight when they're not marked externally. It does have Itinerary functionality and I've used it on club drives with great success. Sometimes I'll bring both units and stick the XL is someone else's car so they can lead a second group if the number of cars gets too large. I also like the big loud speaker which is helpful when you're driving in a convertible with the top down.

But never mind. I really think that the GO 730 was one of the best units they ever made, with Bluetooth, an FM transmitter and an MP3 player onboard. It's really great to have the turn instructions coming out of the car's sound system instead of that itty bitty speaker. Oh, and let's not forget spoken input, which works a lot better than you think it might. You can still get refurbs from TT for under $120.

California, if all you have is a battery problem, replace the battery. It's easy and cheap. I did mine and it's better than new.

As for the 1605, the screen is indeed gorgeous, but I simply can't use this unit for all the things I like to use them for. I may keep it for the lifetime maps and traffic, and for when I just want to go point to point. I also believe that micro USB connector will be short lived in typical service.

I also got the Via 1605TM from Costo after I lost my GO920. I was a little disappointed with the limited feature but the large clear screen attracted me to it.

While getting familiar with the device, I incorrectly reported a red-light location. There is no feature to correct it. Does anyone know how correct this?

Also, I like to do a backup of the device before I update the map. I don't see this feature. I don't like the computer voices that came with the device but i can't download any other computer voice to replace it. Is there another way to do get new voices?

If the red light isn't confirmed by more users, your accidental report will probably drop into the bit bucket.

There's no way to back up any but your 'personal' stuff on the new Nav3 units (the Via 1605 just being one of the latest of this type). You can back up favorites, POI that you have added and the like. In an ideal world, which I know TomTom is really working to create, you won't have to worry about backup of the unit itself before new maps, etc. Any maps to which your unit is entitled for whatever reason (subscription or purchase) should always be waiting for you on their server. Soon, you should have the ability (through the MyTomTom 'application') to remove and reinstall maps if you need space, and in the absolute worst case of corruption, we have an 'emergency' method of wiping a unit and automatically reloading the most current stable software release on these things (we call it a 'suicide' reboot). Once TomTom firms up the map unload/reload, these things should be pretty bullet-proof.

Thanks canderson for the info.

The VIA 1605 also comes with the micro SD Card slot. I haven't tried using the SD Card yet. I wonder what we can make use of it if we have no control of what to store in it from the Windows OS. Unless we can get access to the new improved feature of MyTomTom "Application", then it would make sense to put a SD card in it. Does this make sense?

I haven't tried using the SD Card yet. I wonder what we can make use of it if we have no control of what to store in it from the Windows OS.

If your new model has a micro SD card slot, then the TomTom can use it as additional storage which it just uses in addition to the internal memory. Therefore a new map can be installed to the card, or a large POI file could be installed to the card if your internal memory is getting full.
MyTomTom does the memory management and puts stuff where it likes. You have no control over it.

Once the card has some content on it, you won't even be able to see it via Windows, it is formatted to a proprietory format and all you'll see is files called TOMTOM_001, TOMTOM_002 etc. IIRC.

Actually, if you start ordering up maps that won't all fit into internal memory, they'll automatically be loaded to the uSD card already. Also, custom POI no longer have to be inside a specific map folder (wherever it winds up), so you don't actually have to carefully 'control' their location the way you once did.

My first couple weeks experience with Via 1605TM

I got the device from Costco and I figured I would connect to the computer to download the latest updates before using it. A new map was available and attempted to update it. I was able to download the map without a problem but during installation, the USB connection kept disconnecting around 7% of installation. After a few hours later and many attempts, I gave up. As as result, my brand new Via 1605 could not start without a map. Bummer. What do I do now?

After much disappointment, I tried updating the map on my wife's laptop and this time it went smoothly and I was able to get my the latest map and started using my device. I noticed the device had difficulty receiving the traffic signal. The circular waiting icon would just go on and on for more than half hour and sometimes, it would take more than an hour and gave up. I figured there might be something wrong with the traffic receiver and thinking of returning to Costco.

Like the old GO920, I also noticed the Nav App, was still stupidly routing me to the neighborhood roads to make a big round to reach home when a simple U-turn could do it. I was using the fastest routing method. The device could figure out the U-turn if I chose the shortest routing method.

Next day, I connected to the computer to check for more updates and notice there was a new Nav Core available, so I updated the device. I was delighted that the new App has figured out the U-turn to lead me home even using the fastest routing method . I was still disappointed that it did not fix the traffic receiving problem. So, I decide to test it along with my wife's XXL 550TM. After a few days of testing, the test confirmed that there was something wrong with traffic receiving and I made up my mind to return the device to Costco.

As I was about to return the device to Costco, I needed to clear out all my personal addresses, favorites, and custom POI. The best way to clear them out all at once is to do a factory reset. Then it dawned on me that the factory reset might fix the traffic receiving problem. So, I did and lo and behold, the factory reset fixed the traffic problem. I am keeping my VIA 1605TM for now even though it has much less features than my previous GO920. I can see much clearly with the big hi-resolution screen.

Indeed. You have no idea how many people hammered the folks in NL for how many years about the 5 minute routing penalty that TT has been adding for a u-turn. You also have no idea how surprised and pleased we were to hear that they were actually going to address it -- at least for Nav3 units like the 1605.

As for factory resets, that shouldn't have been necessary, but I'm glad to hear it worked. Will remember that if anyone else sees something similar.

There is still one lingering routing instruction problem that I still see in the new Nav3. The voice command would say make sharp left, when there is no left turn to make.

For example, going south bound on Wantagh State Parkway (40d 46' 4.74"N, 73d 33' 38.0"W) and exit W2 E to Old Country Road, East Bound (40d 45' 25.19"N, 73d 32' 50.33"W), during the exit ramp, the voice instruction would say make a sharp left while there is no left turn needed.

Unless there's been a recent change to that interchange, you sure would have to make a left if you want to not just cross over OCR. The 'left' should be announced on the ramp for the impending turn onto OCR East.

Not sure why they'd call that sharp, though. Can't say I've ever seen it, though. If headed in that direction, I'm always eastbound on the LIE and headed south on Broadway.

Even on the TomTom maps, it's just a 90 degree left. The oddity will be found somewhere in the map data, but I can't see it.

I have other brand GPS, where I can view my own pictures that I copy to the SD card. What the heck on TOMTOM one CAN'T USE THE SD CARD AT ALL!!!!
Also, I can't set the CLOSEST or FASTEST way to get to my destination! ????
There are so many limitations, I am debating to return the VIA 1605!
Also, the cigarette plug has a way to get my local reports on the accidents...etc, but it does not work. They are sending the replacement cable, but this one is brand new and it works as power OK.
Is there anywhere a program that would allow me to use my computer to put some pictures on my VIA 1605 and or do more than what TomTom does now - which is NOT MUCH!!!!
Thanks
Tony

The file viewer is not not any Nav3 device.

Planning preferences IS there to allow for 'fastest', 'shortest', etc.

You can use the Content Transfer Wizard (get it here: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14081/?locale=en_GB) to move stuff from an older model to a newer one such as yours.

When you connect the rds-tmc combo antenna/car charger, does the screen recognize it by saying the antenna is connected? Also, the coverage is NOT everywhere. See here:

http://totaltraffic.com/CoverageAreas/

Hi, It looks like a lot of Costco shoppers here. I was at Costco yesterday and saw the 6" TT 1605 for $150 us. And then today i was looking at Costco online and the only one they had listed was the 5" TT 2505 for $150 also.

We currently have a GO720 which works great--except for some routing issues which have been discussed. I like a larger screen so the GPS Receiver (GPSr) can be further away.

We often go to dog trials which are in out of the way places. So to create POI's I get the Lat/Long from MS Streets & Trips. Using MS Excel, I add the name, etc of the POI's, then using POI Converter, I convert to the TomTom format, connect the 720 to the computer and using Windows Explorer I upload the TomTom file, and it's .bmp icon to the SD card. I label the Folder beginning with a 0, so it appears at the top of the list. When we are done with the trip--I delete the folder & icon from the 720.

Do they use the same mount as the 720?
Would I be able to do all that on either of the above 2 GPSr?
Would I be able to access the POI's from a menu, and have either of the above route from current position to the POI?
Which of the 2 are "better" for mostly rural driving, iow not needing traffic reports?

tia, Ron

Totally different mount from the 720 design.

You can take the resulting *.ov2 and *.bmp files for your custom POI and move them to the newer units, yes. The method of moving them to the unit is different, but the new ones use the same style files for POI that you're already creating.

Yes, like the POI on your 720, you can navigate to your custom POI points.

Neither is any better or worse for 'rural' driving. Only the Live units have an edge (over both of these). Given that you don't need any more bells and whistles, if you like the 6" size, wait until you see how it actually looks. It's also higher resolution than the other TomTom models, so it's really crisp. Further, while it's still a resistive screen (you can poke it with not just your finger, but about anything else, including a gloved finger), it's very bright... best looking resistive style screen I've ever seen. Much improved over my 720 and 740.

Ask a Question