VIA 1535 TM Purchased?? or not

Just purchased the VIA 1535 TM and after reading about all the problems their having on this site wonder if I should return it (still unused in box). Is there another unit with the 5" screen with similar features that doesn't have the problems? Also I saw that you say the 1535 is a 2 gig unit and the TOMTOM info claims 4 GIG; which is correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated in selecting a unit that will work as advertised.
Randy

If you are looking for a model with a 5" screen where YOU still can access the file system, then look at the 540 XXL series of units. And it uses the Home 2 application as its interface.

The 1535 (and all Via and 2X models) doesn't show as a separate removable drive on your computer and no file access by the user.

Thanks so much for the quick response; I'll check out the 540's. Also one other thing; it's been a while since we've had a TOMTOM, our old one was great at showing position even on four wheel drive only forrest service roads; do the new TOMTOM's still have that super capability?

I don't know of any model that really does that. TomTom models are on road gps units (unlike many Garmins); as such, if a road is not mapped, the TT will show you travelling in an empty area in a field or something. And it won't plan a route FROM an off-road location in many cases.

It's a reflection of how good the mapping is as to whether the TT can plan a route that includes service roads. At least, that's my understanding.

I'll tell you, our old one did. It always amazed me that it would do that and even guide you out if you got really lost. I gave it to my son and really regret it; we though we were up grading with a new Garmin and were so displeased. The TomTom was vastly superior in most every respect and that is why I am going back to TomTom. It is really a shame that they are having so mamy problems, the 1535 sounded so great and now I'm not sure what to do. Wish I knew that all the problems would be fixed and I'd for sure keep it, oh well decision time.

Thanks so much for the quick response; I'll check out the 540's. Also one other thing; it's been a while since we've had a TOMTOM, our old one was great at showing position even on four wheel drive only forrest service roads; do the new TOMTOM's still have that super capability?
That's a matter of whether or not your forest service roads are on the TeleAtlas map. I have been surprised when driving in the mountains in Colorado how many of these US FSR roads actually show up on the TT map! The newer models (in fact, any TomTom you could buy new at the moment) will show your current REAL (not 'nearest road') coordinates if you wander completely off mapped roads. So if you have a paper map, at least you'll know where you are.

Another big reason that tomtom kills the competition, if they get their stuff together in supporting as advertised. I'm still having a hard time about returning the 1535 or not; need a push I suppose; one way or the other.
Randy

Ask a Question