Via 1505 SD Card

TomTom Model(s)
via 1505 and xxl
I know this is probably an old question,but I could'nt find the answer in FAQ's.I bought a via 1505.I found the memory card slot.Is it usable?How big a card can I use?Thanks for any help I can get.

Yes it's usable, Size upto 32GB (that's probably unnecessary!)

It is treated like an extension of the internal memory, so if you try to add something small and there is still enough room on the internal, then it will be installed there.
But if you try to add something too large for the available space, it will get put onto the micro-SD card.
The user has no say in the matter of where things get put.

Use a card from a reputable brand, Class 6 speed rating or above (but no point going higher really).

By the way, I've moved this from "off-topic" as it's a useful question for lots of people and it's definitely "ON-topic"! :thumb:

Yes it's usable, Size upto 32GB (that's probably unnecessary!)

It is treated like an extension of the internal memory, so if you try to add something small and there is still enough room on the internal, then it will be installed there.
But if you try to add something too large for the available space, it will get put onto the micro-SD card.
The user has no say in the matter of where things get put.

Use a card from a reputable brand, Class 6 speed rating or above (but no point going higher really).

By the way, I've moved this from "off-topic" as it's a useful question for lots of people and it's definitely "ON-topic"! :thumb:
Thanks,I'll give it a try.

Thanks a lot Andy P.I did as you said and it formatted an 8 gig card and its working great.Thanks for your help.

Hi.

The aspect not posted in these articles is how to format the SD (SDHC) cards.
I have a TomTom VIA 1505.
  1. Remove all formatting from the card if it is not a new card.
    1. If a MS Windows machine, use "DISKPART" to clean the card.
  2. Power off the TomTom.
  3. Insert the card. I used a 8GB SDHC card.
  4. Perform a power on reset.
    1. See the article "How do I reset my device if it freezes or does not start?" at the URL "http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965/".
  5. During the power up the TomTom will prompt you to format the card. Allow the format to proceed.
You will now have a formatted card.

Annissa

I have a VIA 1506 and also added a SD card in order to install the latest maps. But now I don't get mapshare updates from TomTom anymore. I used to get them regularly before I added the SD card

While the problem is a known issue (and has been since at least July -- "under investigation"), can you please take the time to inform Custom Service of the problem so they can add to the documentation. The number to call:

United States
866 486 6866
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT

However, just to confirm one thing...........

Can you connect to the computer with your unit, start MyDrive and see if the version of MD is 3.3.0.1812 which is the latest. Click on the MyDrive desktop icon, then the gear symbol, then About to see the version you have.

While the problem is a known issue (and has been since at least July -- "under investigation"), can you please take the time to inform Custom Service of the problem so they can add to the documentation. The number to call:

United States
866 486 6866
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT

However, just to confirm one thing...........

Can you connect to the computer with your unit, start MyDrive and see if the version of MD is 3.3.0.1812 which is the latest. Click on the MyDrive desktop icon, then the gear symbol, then About to see the version you have.

I have called customer service twice and they didn't even acknowledged that there was an issue. They just said that if there were updates available for my unit , then I would have seen them when I connected to myDrive.

I also installed the latest myDrive software version and it didn't change anything for me. Thank you,

Ask a Question