Via 1435 map version, gps fixes?

I have owned a 730, 740, went to Garmin, and then in April came back to TT and got the VIA 1435. I am sorry I did!

Anyone know what the current map version is? It will not update my maps. (I called support and they would not acknowledge what the current version is) My version is v865.3296. (software app is updated but no maps)

Also, the software on this unit and the mytomtom stuff is horrible. This thing will not download gps fixes and this unit takes forever to fix onto birds at start up. Obviously I liked my 730 and 740 and came back to TomTom because I loved the product. This experience is horrible from my previous TT experiences. (For the record, my first 2 TTs: one stolen out of car, the other destroyed on aircraft carry on.).

Map 875 was released on Tuesday of this week. That said, I do believe that some Via model owners have had 'issues' trying to update their maps.

To the OP ...

I'm assuming from your comments that you either have the 1435TM or have purchased a subscription?

Yes, I have the 1435TM with lifetime maps/traffic. As I mentioned, I loved the TomTom service with the home software and support I had with my 730 and 740. If I had same software function (map updates, gps fixes, map sharing corrections) I would be happy with this purchase.

I think, with the 1435TM, that you have to activate a "lifetime maps" code that should be in a slip in the box.

If you have the slip, go to the green box on the upper right of the MyTomtom website, and choose "activate code".

If you don't have the slip, call up Tomtom. They should be able to activate the lifetime maps for you over the phone, though you may need to fax in a receipt.

The irony is, I activated it and code was accepted back in April when I purchased the unit. However, under myTomTom it gives me an option (4th line down after overview, check for new items, account details) to "activate code". When I called support they verified my code was accepted on the account and there was no problems with the software...it should download a current map.

Are you on app 10.500 on the VIA? myTomtom usually requires the latest app first.

Have you cleared your cache in the myTomtom software (settings -> cache -> empty)?

I have app 10.501 installed and still no map updates. I have the program loaded on 3 different computers now (personal desktop, laptop and work desktop). None of them will pick up the new map (2 running windows 7, 1 running XP - wanted to see if the different OS effected myTomTom.

My suspicion is that your subscription code hasnt properly been registered. Call Tomtom again and if they cant fix it then ask for a warranty swap.

Lost activation code

While searching for a solution to this exact problem, I found that this is indeed a common occurrence. I have a 1435TM also. I am 100% certain I entered my activation code for lifetime maps the day I purchased it.
When I contacted TTCS, they said it had never been activated. I have to send a copy of my receipt, code, and a picture of the box. Fortunately, after all these months I still had those items. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't.

They were able to manually update my account from that point to allow me to "upgrade".

So over this, I am startig to think a class action may make "software glitches" disappear. I still can not get my device to update to current maps. It is nice to remind me my maps are 6 months old when I turn it on though.

I have installed, uninstalled, 3 different computers, windows 7, windows XP, called support and they verfiied my lifetime maps is active.

Anyone have a US contact of someone I can call who knows what they heck they are doing at TomTom besides standard customer service number?

Sorry, but CS at 866-486-6866 is the number and try asking for 2nd level support or a supervisor.

Ask a Question