Very slow map download

TomTom Model(s)
Go 530
Hi,

So I'm off to the USA on holiday next week, and as such have just purchased the North America maps. According to TomTom Home, this is going to take somewhere in the region of 50hrs!! Quite excessive for a 2GB download...

I have, however, just noticed that a new version of the North American maps was released today (convenient). Is this likely to be what is causing my download to go like treacle? No doubt a whole bunch of other people will be downloading it too.

Basically just wanted to check if map downloads are usually excruciatingly slow (this is the first I've downloaded), or am I simply suffering from a case of bad timing?

Thanks.

50 hours is extreme ..... even on a 1200baud modem, I think! ;)

Others in the UK are reporting excruciatingly slow download times with their European 855 maps today. Guess it's the servers (what else? :rolleyes: ).

Should eventually speed up........

FWIW, life was pretty good here in the south 48 this morning. Picked up 2GB NA maps for both the 720 and 740. First pass was about 13 minutes. Second pass was about 15 minutes. Pretty snappy by TomTom standards.

People in the UK are reporting things like 30 to 40 HOURS from the European servers.........

Don't like Canadians either

I'm sitting at 12 hours for the NA map update. Was 24 hours before I quit earlier today. I never did unplug my Tomtom though, and I read later that that can completely screw things up. I'm now thinking this is like it was with my iPhone when the new OS comes out. The first day is the worst day to upgrade. I am here coincidentally as today was merely the first time I hooked up my Tomtom to my Mac.

Reading the forums on downloading new maps (I need the W. Europe map soon) makes me worry a lot about buying any new maps. Seems there are a lot of disgruntled customers who have paid and never received. You get used to updates being so fast with the iPhone and I'm sure with many other Smart Phones. Purchasing issues will kill this company. Forums, where people have a voice, are probably already hurting them badly. It's just not acceptable these days to ignore your client base. We move on fast.

Wonder whether your ISP is throttling the speed of your connection? I dl the NA map for my 720 in about 17 minutes on a 12 mps line with Bell.

Wonder whether your ISP is throttling the speed of your connection? I dl the NA map for my 720 in about 17 minutes on a 12 mps line with Bell.

Nah, that's not the issue. I'm getting download speeds of over 1MB/s from elsewhere.

If I got that speed from TomTom it'd take me less than 30mins.

It appears to finally be fixed! Was trying my download again for the 10th time or so, with the usual 55hr time, and it just timed out.

Started it up again from fresh, and it's now only 13mins - much better!

This is after TomTom customer services kept trying to convince me there was no problem with their servers, and it was all my fault...

Ask a Question