Variant on the flashing red cross

TomTom Model(s)
One
Hi there,

I know there is a lot of flashing red cross advice, but I think I am having a slightly different issue. I tried to update my TomTom 2nd edition using HOME and since then I have the flashing red cross. I have read extensively online about accessing the device through Windows Explorer (I used Windows Vista - fully up to date) and while my computer recognises the device, when I open the device, it shows no files (I have ensured my file settings have 'Show hidden files and folders' turned on).

In all that I have read, I want to be able to copy the files off the device before removing all the files APART from any of the folders or antitheftw.bmp, lowbatteryw.bmp and splashw.bmp (if present) and then updating it.

However, I can't seem to access any of the files on my TomTom. Any advice would be appreciated.

Other information that might be useful is:

- I am using the TomTom cable
- I have tried using different computers
- When trying to update it I am getting the error message saying it can't create the ttsystem file. This is, however, is when I have put in my SD card (2gb and has been fully reformatted). If I don't have it in I get the message "there is not enough free space on space on your device ( -176kb). The update is 8.2MB, but the device says it has 8.6MB free.

I think I have described all, but if I have missed anything - happy to explain further.

Massively appreciate any help you can give

John

One question. Do you have a current backup of your unit's contents??

Second question. What were you trying to update, a map?

Thanks for the reply.

1. I don't. This is the first time I have tried to update it and didn't know/think this would happen.

2. Was using TomTom Home (most recent version 2.8) and clicked on 'Update my device'. It tried to install TomTom application for ONE and QuickGPSfix. The reason why I was wanting to update my TomTom was to update the map, but never got to that.

Thanks,

John

Can you backup the specific map folder on your unit? If so, do it with Explorer. Also, the voices folder. Then format the unit, don't use quickformat.

Connect to Home and see if an application is offered. If so, install.

If successful, disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Use Explorer to copy back the folders you copied to the computer.

Can you backup the specific map folder on your unit?
This is where, in a lot of ways, I am having the main issue - I can't see the files when I access it through Windows Explorer. I have made sure I have my file settings have 'Show hidden files and folders' turned on and when I look at the properties of the device, it is recognising that there is stuff on the device (it says there is 987MB on the device with 8.6MB free). But looking there are no files or folders visible.

Without being able to backup/copy the files, I really don't want to risk reformatting or anything of that kind.

Connect to Home and see if an application is offered. If so, install.
It is offered, but this is where I have the issue of when trying to update it I am getting the error message saying it can't create the ttsystem file. This is, however, is when I have put in my SD card (2gb and has been fully reformatted). If I don't have it in I get the message "there is not enough free space on space on your device ( -176kb). The update is 8.2MB, but the device says it has 8.6MB free.

It sounds pretty broken, but any suggestions are really appreciated. If it would help I can attached screen shots of all I am seeing.

John

Don't get too hung up on the "hidden files and folders" bit. Usually, all of the files and folders on the TomTom are not hidden, so they should show up straight away in Windows Explorer.

When you are in the state where you cannot see any files, what does Windows report if you right click on the TomTom storage and select "Properties"? Is that the point at which you see 987MB on the device with 8.6MB free? i.e. does it show a pie-chart with lots of used space and a small amount available?

If it does, what happens if you try to copy a small file (any file such as a picture or photo) on to it? Can you see it and open it? In other words is the storage working normally but there are simply no OTHER visible files on it?

The worst case scenario is that the file system may have just got so corrupted that nothing less than a reformat will recover it, or even that the internal memory has died completely. Either way, you should be able to use the SD card for everything and get back up and running using that, but without any sort of backup, you'll be looking at buying a new map. Everything else is replaceable as a free download, but your map is irreplaceable.

Thanks for the suggestion on trying to copy a file to the TomTom - hadn't thought of this.

This gives me the error "0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." Everything is pointing towards it being a reformat - but without having had a chance to save my maps - I am trying to find away around this. I will go for it if I need to - but does anyone know of a way to save the files?

John

Ask a Question