v880 Postcodes have been released

TomTom Model(s)
Go520,720,XL Live, Start60,Go940,950,1000,1005,New500,New5000
Current version (Nov 2011) is v880 - If this date is more than 3 months old, check the last post in this topic to see if a later version has been released.

Postcode updates:
For some strange reason, if you buy a new map that covers the UK or the Netherlands (and now Singapore!), the new postcodes file that really should come with it, does not get included.
However, it's quite easy to add the new files yourself on the "normal" TomTom models where you can access the file system.
Unfortunately the new models that connect using "MyTomtom" rather than "Home" cannot use this procedure yet (these models include the Go1000/2000 and the "Via" ranges)

(Note: The following instructions will all be a lot easier to follow if you have got Windows set up to show you the FULL file names. Go to the 'Tools' menu in Windows Explorer or My Computer, select 'Folder Options', then the 'View' tab and UN-TICK "Hide extensions for known file types")

Now, to install:
1. Download the 'zipped' archive file

http://www.tomtom.com/updates/zipcodes/Map_880/zip.zip

to somewhere on your PC. You will get a single file called "zip.zip"

2. When it has finished downloading, browse to wherever you saved it with Windows Explorer, right click on it and select "Extract all".
It should now "un-zip" or de-compress to produce a folder called "zip" with at least four files inside (two for the UK, two for the Netherlands and recently two for Singapore have been added).

(I realise it's easy to get confused here between ""zip" as in a "zipped" archive file and "zip" which TomTom decided to call their postcodes folder due to the American term for postcodes - "zip codes"! But stick with us!)

3. Now, again using Windows Explorer, you can copy and paste that whole extracted folder (called "zip" remember) onto the TomTom drive's root directory (i.e. NOT inside any other folder).
If there is an existing folder called zip already there, it should ask if you want to replace it's contents with the newer files - just say "Yes" when it asks.

4. That's it! When you have finished, if all has gone well, you should now be able to navigate to a specific house, just by entering the full postcode and the house number.
(Don't forget to actually tap the "Postcode" option in the "Navigate to..." menu rather than just entering it in the "address" page).

Also, if you run TomTom Home and view the "contents of my device" it should show the postcodes as the latest version.

Ask a Question