Using your TomTom in Crete

TomTom Model(s)
720T and 1005 Eu v2
Hi All :)
I am landing in Heraklion, Crete soon and have to drive down to Agia Galini on the South coast. This is a difficult but only 90 minutes drive through the mountains so I have decided to take my TT for the first time.

My question is - will it work OK?! I have planned a route map using the Europe map on my 720 and it seems OK but sparse of detail. I know that it is supposed to work but am concerned that it may take an age to log into satellites, etc.

Anybody out there with any practical experience of doing this? All I have found are amusing stories of watching your flight path on your TT when you land which is probably against flight regulations.

Any advice appreciated. :lol: I also have a 1005Eu v2 but not tried it yet! :rolleyes:

Are you sure your Europe map does cover Crete in the first place? If you go to routes.tomtom.com and try to locate some places in Crete and they appear, then there is coverage, I would expect.

Yes, your device may take somewhere about 10 minutes or so in an open area to lock onto a signal the first time after you turn it on there.

If the map on your Go720 is very old, it might only have sparse detail in Crete.

I would guess the Go1005 map will be rather better! Why not take that one as well? The GPS chips in it will be newer and better too.

Are you sure your Europe map does cover Crete in the first place? If you go to routes.tomtom.com and try to locate some places in Crete and they appear, then there is coverage, I would expect.

Yes, your device may take somewhere about 10 minutes or so in an open area to lock onto a signal the first time after you turn it on there.

Thanks. Have you used a TT in Greece / Crete? Maps do cover this of course

If the map on your Go720 is very old, it might only have sparse detail in Crete.

I would guess the Go1005 map will be rather better! Why not take that one as well? The GPS chips in it will be newer and better too.

Both devices will navigate to the town destination. What I am looking for is someone who has actually taken his UK to Greece. Thanks anyway

You'll get more action at a UK-centric Forum.

Go to pockgpsworld.com and register. Go to the TomTom Portable Navigation Devices forum. Create a thread there. One moderator, DennisN, has gone to Crete, I'm pretty sure.

NO, but very possibly the only one who has one who has already taken it to Crete......

Well thanks for that but EU maps cover Crete OK. my question was addressed to users of TT in Crete of which their appear to be very few :):confused:

I used my TomTom 920 last summer in Crete and it worked fine. I had the latest map that was available at that time, and it plotted my routes around the island without problems. We flew into Chania and it navigated us to our hotel in Rethymon easily.

I tended to use GPS positions rather than addresses, as I found the greek names of the roads confusing.

I used the hybrid format of this site to locate the GPS of my destination.

http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

Here is the GPS of the main parking by the harbour in Agia Galini

N 35.09569 E 24.68785

Hello Anchor... Am I right in thinking you're the same Anchor I know from other forums? I think you'll like it here!

Hello Anchor... Am I right in thinking you're the same Anchor I know from other forums? I think you'll like it here!

Hello Andy; Yes I am the same anchor from other forums.

I was glad to assist with the Crete question. The difficulty in Crete can be selecting your destination. Sometimes towns appear to have variations on their name, even in Western script (eg: Chania, Xania, Hania). Finding a road name can be a nightmare.

The TomTom works fine once you can correctly select your destination.

An afterthought: Effective TomTom mapping for Crete and Greece is relatively new, so if your maps are not fairly up to date, (ie: withing the last 12 months or so), navigation problems may occur.

I had no difficulty in locking on to the satellites.

Ask a Question