Using TOMTOM Quick GPS Fix

:confused:
Hi Guys
I have asked the tech guys at tomtom but they dont seem to understand what I am asking.So thought I would give you guys a shot at it.
If I use the Quick fix just before I board a plane to the USA.Will it enable me to pick the satallites quicker when I arrive there 8hrs later.I presume the quick fix gives you all the sat positions for the next seven days,not just the sats in the UK.

Cheers

Actually, I'd heard (on a UK forum) that the quickfix server does not (is not yet?) providing current data. The one time I tried it the fix was *much* slower.

m

I have done the quick fix just now and it said successful download.
The only thing is how do you know it was successful ?

Hi
It was quick but now I have put the 6.51 ver update on, it wont do the quick fix any ideas?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I heard that the Quick Fixes are activated by tomtom yet. However, you should get a faster lock on with the 6.51 firmwire.

To answer the OP's question, yes it should help you to get a fix faster. The ephemeris for all sats is downloaded becuse the sats move, they are not geostationary! Hence there is no UK sats, or US sats specifically. There are 24 active sats orbiting the earth.

The ephemeris data describes the relative postions of all those sats, so getting a fix on just one allows the device to derive the positions of all other sats that would be visible to it. So, it know where in the sky to expect a signal from and doesn't have to waste time trying to figure ot out.

Mine works. Check the Quickfix folder on your device, if you have a recent file there with a filesize that is no zero, it is working!

When I was setting up the new tomtom I received an update marked satellite quick fix or something similar. I watched and they did seem to download although it was so fast it was hard to detect. I have not upgraded this tomtom to the new firmware. That is what seemed to have taken out my other tomtom so I will wait for a while before doing that again.

Ask a Question