Using TomTom for other applications????????

Has anyone tried to modify a TomTom to use it at a touch screen interface or a command center? Could these units be modified to communicate on a CAN buss?

your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I don't know what a CAN bus is :confused:

What model TomTom do you have in mind? The all-in-one units are basically just little Linux-based computers so in theory I guess you could do whatever you like with them. TomTom offered a SDK but it only works with version 6 of their software and all the new units are version 7 based. Some things still work on ver 7, others don't . SDK info is here: http://www.tomtom.com/pro/page.php?ID=2

See the section called "What else can I do wit the GO 910" in this review for some ideas: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/insidetomtomgo910.php

But since you're the one who wants to mod your TomTom, why don't YOU do some research and then report back to US about what can be done? :)

You could completely reimage it, check out the work that the hackers at OpenTom are doing

That's a great site which I've found really helpful. But it's more like "the work that the hackers have done" instead of "are doing" unfortunately. Looks like the party is over there with no updates on that site for over a year as far as I can tell.

The CANBUS system is used in most European cars for a few years now. All electrical/electronic components are controlled and monitored via the CANBUS. Changing the HU alone requires reprogramming the CANBUS otherwise the new HU wont work. CANBUS is a very complex device and is differs a lot between car manufacturers. The device and software interface for along cost a few grand. Of course a highly skilled programmer can most probably write a software since TT devices run on Linux but generally I belive makes no sense due to costs involved.

I'm actually more interested in the possibility of having a video input and/or output.

Ask a Question