Using Route Optimization on a TomTom

TomTom Model(s)
XL335S
my job requires I go to many different locations during the day in the County which I work. Will I be able to enter all these locations into my tom tom before my day starts and have tom tom direct me to the closest location to the next? I guess it would be similar to an UPS driver going to all his/her stops during the day.

Also, I want to transfer my gps to many different vehicles and would like info/link on a good "bean bag" type mounting device as well as info/link on a good quality bag to keep it in, should I go with a leather bag or a semi hard case? thanks in advance.

thanks for the quick reply! As an alternative to using the route optimization software, would I be able to enter all of my locations, zoom out on my tom tom map and use my judgement in picking the next nearest address for my gps to take me?

As an alternative to using the route optimization software, would I be able to enter all of my locations, zoom out on my tom tom map and use my judgement in picking the next nearest address for my gps to take me?
I found that this is more than useless as the screen is just too small to make a proper judgment.

As dhn said, read the thread but just go to ZRP Routenoptimierung, enter Start, Destination and as many stop overs as needed.
I suggest you always use the two letter state code after the town. Semi-colons must be used at the end of every stop over line.
You should have your device connected to the computer through HOME.
Note: the text of the result, after clicking on the red go will be displayed in German and kilometer (doesn't matter as once in your TomTom it will use the system you selected).
Don't let that bother you as the map is Google and you can check for details. Now click on the [tomtom/itn] box and a Windows File Save box pops up. Save it to your itn folder.
All their routes start with zrp (and contain the start and destination names) but you can change that by right clicking on the itn file you just made, select Open with Notepad. Change the name to what you want and save the file (god time to delete the one from the day before if you do that routine daily).

Now go to Main Menu 3, click Itinerary planning, click Options, click Load Itinerary, go to the one you just made, double click and [Done]. Follow the normal itinerary instructions.

Doing the above will take less than half the time of just reading it.
As these are all logical steps you won't think about it any longer after the second or third time you tried it.

Last edited:
thanks for the quick reply! As an alternative to using the route optimization software, would I be able to enter all of my locations, zoom out on my tom tom map and use my judgement in picking the next nearest address for my gps to take me?
That's the best way to do with Tomtom.
Yes, you can convert all your locations to POIs (.ov2), using Browse Maps, zoom in and out to find out which of your POIs closest to where you are then navigating there.

Ask a Question