Using my SD card to run other maps

Hi I have a TomTom One XL with Canada and USA Maps installed, I also have maps for the UK I can use my SD writer.reader to copy these UK maps to my SD card but when I put the card into the slot on the TomTom the maps don;t seem to load. What do I need to do to be able to leave the Canada USA maps on the Unit but also run my UK maps from the SD card. Or is that not posible?
Any help would be great indicating a how-to..

Regards

Hawkshead:(

Copy the OS to your SD along with any other files wanted with the UK map.
TT needs to boot from SD card, memories can not work together.

OS

Thanks but this might sound like a strange question but what do you mean by OS I'm assuming you mean Operating System but were would I find it in the North American maps or will that be with UK maps.

Plus when trying to load from the SD card how long would it usuall take to load.

Thanks

Copy the entire contents of the internal memory of the XL to the SD card, then remove the USA and Canada folder, and put your UK map on the card. That should be all that is needed...

I operate both my UK and Us Can maps from the same SD card. I also have a seperate card with just the UK maps on it, when I downloaded the maps from home to the card it also downloaded the Operating System at the same time. In Home 2.1 you should be able to just copy the UK maps and OS from your computer to the card.

Always make sure you have a back up before you delete anything.

Got it sorted

Thanks all for the help figured it out and it seems to be working great, now all I need is the cash to get me over home to try it..

Hello Hawkshead I am having the same problem but I am here in the UK and want to use an SD card with USA/Canada. Did you get it sorted like sshadow suggested? I brought my card from Amazon and assumed it would work straight off.
A very helpful moderator on another site suggested copying all the files that were not in folders on to the card, but that didn't work. So hopefully copying them all then deleting the UK map and replacing with the USA/Canada will work!

Regards
Boardboy

Hello Boardboy

Sure hope you have a money back guarrantee because I do not know any way of loading previously owned maps onto another TT. The maps are tied a specific unit. That is the reason you can only buy and download maps through TT Home.

Just out of curiosity I tried my SD card (V2) in my collegues V@ and it recognised the card and the maps but refused to open them.

So ask for your money back and buy them through Home

Good Luck

Hello Hawkshead I am having the same problem but I am here in the UK and want to use an SD card with USA/Canada. Did you get it sorted like sshadow suggested? I brought my card from Amazon and assumed it would work straight off.
A very helpful moderator on another site suggested copying all the files that were not in folders on to the card, but that didn't work. So hopefully copying them all then deleting the UK map and replacing with the USA/Canada will work!

Regards
Boardboy

Unless you have an x20 model of TomTom, then ALL the folders & files must be on EITHER the sd card OR internal memory....including the system files.

In that situation, for example, you'd have ALL files on internal memory, THEN uninstall UK map from internal memory and THEN add US/Canada map to internal memory

or........

you'd have ALL files on the sd card, then remove UK map from card and then add US/Can map to sd card.

Make sure you have a RECENT full (using Explorer) backup prior to removing any files or folders from either the memory or the sd card, as the case may be.

Thanks for the replys. The Card was a genuine tomtom card. It had a sticker over the clasp of the case that it came in. It also came with a plastic card with an activation code on it, all sealed in box.
I have e-mailed the shop and they've asked me to return it for a replacement.

My one XL has UK maps and western europe on it's internal memory. I thought with the USA/Canada card in the tomtom it would boot straight from the card. All I get is graffic showing the tomtom and the card being removed with a red cross on it.

Regards Boardboy

Ask a Question