Using an RDS-TMC power cord on a GO LIVE device and other questions

I'm curious as to how you believe your civil rights and privacy have been violated due to lack of a particular service.

One thing about that 1535 and Live services, the HD traffic is pretty impressive, especially since last December when they really cranked up their 'probe' count. It has really increased the resolution of the results. In most cases in my area, I'm seeing accuracy of 100 yards or less in terms of where the backups start and stop.

That said, I took at peek at your location via your IP address, and your area is covered by Clear Channel's 'Total Traffic', so the RDS receiver cable that should have accompanied your 1535 will work there, too, and without a subscription if you choose not to go the Live route..

For anyone curious, here's a current link to the RDS coverage areas served:

http://totaltraffic.com/index.php/solutions/2013-04-02-15-39-16/coverage-maps-2

Canderson, about my civil rights and privacy, it's not the lack of the service for speed cameras...it's the fact that, if what TT says is true that they cannot divulge the location of these cameras due to some sort of law or legal issue. There is much controversy about the legality of traffic cameras in general and here in Louisiana, legislation has been introduced to outlaw these camera devices, because they do, according to the legislation, violate a citizen's privacy...a form of "spying" on the public without their consent. Anyway, we digress from the topic as to why I get speed camera locations on the 1405 and not on the 1535....

I'm not aware of any controversy about providing drivers with the locations of cameras here in the U.S., though there have been some interesting issues in France over the last year or two that required TomTom to take some special steps in European units.

I would give TomTom another call and see if you can get a better answer. As noted, my 1535 Live unit shows in the upper left corner the status of camera updates on the "Safety Cameras" page. I am wondering why yours shows nothing at all there. During the remaining bit of your 30 day Live trial, you've got a chance to get that sorted out. I haven't seen it happen before (unless there was a server problem, which presently isn't an issue), and so far, haven't heard it reported anywhere else, either.

Check the screen shot.

Attachments

• Camera Status.jpg
    Camera Status.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 406
Thanks for the screen image...my unit has no such message in the upper right corner...it is blank. I called TT again, they tried to enable a speed camera download, but they couldn't get it to appear on MY TOMTOM webpage, so they told me to hard reset the unit and go drive by a known speed camera location and see if it alerts...if not, call them back...they gave me a case number. This is getting aggravating and time consuming, not to mention the gasoline to check it out....

Let us know what comes of it.

Your 1405, not being a Live unit, gets an original factory load of camera data which can be updated when connected to your PC, and back to TomTom.

Your 1535 has the same, but should ALSO be getting over-the-air updates. It should only depend upon the hardwired file in the event that you don't have a Live connection for some reason.

What did TomTom say about having no notification of the 'age' or your camera data in the upper right corner? It sounds to me as though for some reason, the camera data has never been pushed to your unit. They CAN actually peek to see what files are present -- provided you get someone senior enough to do so on the other end of the line.

Ask a Question