Using an RDS-TMC power cord on a GO LIVE device and other questions

TomTom Model(s)
GO LIVE 1535TM, VIA 1405TM
Hello group,

I'm brand new to the group...thank you for taking the time to read my post and hopefully answer my questions...

I have just ordered a refurbished GO LIVE 1535TM from an online retailer, which is on it's way to me now....I already have a VIA 1405TM which is registered on the TomTom website...

Questions:

1. The website advertises the unit as having lifetime traffic and map updates and the GO LIVE 1535 model number is definitely showing "TM" suffix on their website and actually states "lifetime traffic and maps"...but researching TT's website and the internet, apparently no such model exists...only the 1535"M". Is this a mistake on the part of retailer's advertising of the unit, or does TT offer lifetime HD LIVE traffic on refurbs?

2. How will I register the new device? Can it be added to my existing account, or will I have to open a new account with a different email address? Also, how will the MY TOMTOM application on my computer recognize the difference between the two units, regardless of whether I can add it to my existing account or using a second new account?

3. Unless HD LIVE traffic is, in fact, provided for lifetime rather than just for the first year, and I decide not to renew the LIVE service, will the new 1535 be able to use the 1405's RDS-TMC power cord to get and display regular FM broadcast traffic information?

Thanks for your time and looking forward to you answers....

Ferdyboy

Hi.......

To be clear, the traffic received by the combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger is NOT LIVE. It is traffic info received by fm signal on your radio and that traffic is indeed for life. You can hook the same combo receiver from the 1405TM into the Go LIVE 1535 and get liefetime traffic but it's not as good as LIVE traffic.

LIVE traffic (and other LIVE services) are only for one year. Then, a renewal is $60/year. If you choose not to renew, you can still use the combo antenna to get rds-tmc traffic.

IMPORTANT:

You must register the new device with a different email address than the one used with the 1405. Doesn't even have to be real, just in the proper aaa @ bbb.com format.

You must also register for the lifetime maps on the Go Live 1535 device. Supposedly you can do so on line but, trust me, call CS at 866-486-6866 and let them activate at their end. Much easier.

Yes, MyTomTom should recognize each device when you connect to My
TomTom. Shouldn't be an issue at all. I have three devices here, all using MyTomTom. That said, I do get in the habit of logging out when I'm through with updates for a device.

Hi.......

To be clear, the traffic received by the combo rds-tmc antenna/car charger is NOT LIVE. It is traffic info received by fm signal on your radio and that traffic is indeed for life. You can hook the same combo receiver from the 1405TM into the Go LIVE 1535 and get liefetime traffic but it's not as good as LIVE traffic.

LIVE traffic (and other LIVE services) are only for one year. Then, a renewal is $60/year. If you choose not to renew, you can still use the combo antenna to get rds-tmc traffic.

IMPORTANT:

You must register the new device with a different email address than the one used with the 1405. Doesn't even have to be real, just in the proper aaa @ bbb.com format.

You must also register for the lifetime maps on the Go Live 1535 device. Supposedly you can do so on line but, trust me, call CS at 866-486-6866 and let them activate at their end. Much easier.

Yes, MyTomTom should recognize each device when you connect to My
TomTom. Shouldn't be an issue at all. I have three devices here, all using MyTomTom. That said, I do get in the habit of logging out when I'm through with updates for a device.

Thanks DHN, concise, perfect answers to all of my questions! This is a tremendous help. I certainly know and understand that LIVE traffic is MUCH better than RDS-TMC FM traffic, but just to be absolutely clear, I MUST use the car charger supplied with my 1405 (with the egg shaped antenna) to get traffic info (albeit not as accurate) with the 1535, the standard car charger cord will not work, correct? Also, the MY TOMTOM that is in my system tray on my computer will recognize the new unit as well as the old unit? Or will it only be recognized on the TT website by logging into each individual account directly?

Thanks again so much....Ferdyboy

I certainly know and understand that LIVE traffic is MUCH better than RDS-TMC FM traffic,
Don't sell the RDS-TMC short.
dhn lent me his 'egg' antenna adapter to try on my 5 year old GO 930.
I was using it side-by-side with a LIVE 1535.
The RDS-TMC alerted to a huge problem earlier and was more precise with exact location and duration.
This may not be the norm but with my current traffic patterns as a retiree I do not spend much time in very bad conditions on a regular basis to make a true comparison.

MY TOMTOM that is in my system tray on my computer will recognize the new unit as well as the old unit?
As dhn said, the MTTSA (Support Application in the tray) will recognize both devices but if you want to see Manage Content on the MTT web page you will have to sign in with username and password after connecting the other device.

I am too lazy to log out and in every time as I let Firefox remember the sign in. It often happens that I might use the same device several times in a row.

Thanks ARNO, that is very helpful to know....but since my last reply, I started wondering....if I use the RDS-TMS car charger cord on the new 1535 before the LIVE service expires, will LIVE services still work? Or MUST I use the standard car charger cord that comes with the unit for LIVE to work?

I cannot answer that, Ferdyboy, as the plug on the 'egg' adapter for the 930 is different than on the straight one for the 1535. No way for me to experiment to fond out if LIVE is being disabled by the RDS-TMC antenna plug.

I am not familiar with other hardware so you will have to wait until the heavy hitters like dhn, canderson and mvl cut in again.

Live Services is for a year. If you connect the combo car charger, the LIVE traffic still takes precedence. Only if Live Services fails, or the year is up, or you choose NOT to share information with TomTom, will the rds traffic kick in.

Live Services is for a year. If you connect the combo car charger, the LIVE traffic still takes precedence. Only if Live Services fails, or the year is up, or you choose NOT to share information with TomTom, will the rds traffic kick in.

Perfect! Thanks, DHN!

Only if Live Services fails.... will the rds traffic kick in.

Judging by my reception issues at the moment, I'd change that "if" to "WHEN" :mad:

But I can confirm that when I used my GO940 with a mount with the RDS-TMC receiver built in, the two systems worked fine together, with RDS taking over whenever LIVE was unavailable.

Well, I got the 1535 yesterday, and it actually came with a RDS-TMC car charger...and yes, the unit does default to LIVE, not FM. Went online, registered the device, downloaded the latest MapShare, software, GPS Quick Fix, and newest map. Also called TT and had them activate the lifetime maps. All went well without a hitch, thanks to you guys. However, I took a route that I KNOW has traffic cameras, yet the device did not alert to any of them. My 1405 ALWAYS alerted to them. What could be wrong?

Oh, and by the way, yes I have gone into the LIVE services menu and placed a checkmark by all of different types of cameras....

If you go the Live services menu and select the Safety cam option, I believe it shows the time since last Live update in the lower left corner. What does it say?

After pressing the LIVE Services button, there is no "Safety Cam" option...only a "Speed Camera" option...and when I press it, all I get are choices for what types of cameras I would like to be alerted to...and, like I said, all of them are checked with an alert sound symbol next to each one...there is no indication on any page of the LIVE menu that shows any type of update information...

In the UK, the TomTom speed cameras have always been inferior to the data from other providers.

Sorry - I get the terminology confused at times between various language sets.
Most of us here in North America get a 'chuckle' (not) out of the use of "Safety" camera. "Revenue Enhancement Device" might be more appropriate.

Here in the U.S., I've had quite good luck with TomTom's database of red light cameras, which are mostly what we encounter here.

Anyway, MY Go Live 1535 reads as follows (is your firmware up to date?)

Main Driving View - Press
Services / Safety Cameras / Upper right corner = "Cameras up-to-date"

Just out of curiosity .. check this and report back:

Services / Right Arrow / My Services. Do you see "TomTom Safety Cameras" listed there? If so, when does the subscription expire?

Sorry - I get the terminology confused at times between various language sets.
Most of us here in North America get a 'chuckle' (not) out of the use of "Safety" camera. "Revenue Enhancement Device" might be more appropriate.

Here in the U.S., I've had quite good luck with TomTom's database of red light cameras, which are mostly what we encounter here.

Anyway, MY Go Live 1535 reads as follows (is your firmware up to date?)

Main Driving View - Press
Services / Safety Cameras / Upper right corner = "Cameras up-to-date"

Just out of curiosity .. check this and report back:

Services / Right Arrow / My Services. Do you see "TomTom Safety Cameras" listed there? If so, when does the subscription expire?

No, there is no such message "Cameras up-to-date"... just "Alert settings", "Show/Hide Camera icon", "Disable alerts", and another button I can't remember...but no "up-to-date" message appears. And yes, under "My services", "TomTom Safety Cameras" is listed as well as "HD Traffic", "Fuel Prices", "Weather", and a couple of others...all of them say they will expire in 26 days (TT only gives you the first 30 days of free LIVE services on refurbs, which mine is)...does this info help?

Hmm.. no, it doesn't help, but I appreciate that you checked. It means that for whatever reason, your unit has yet to receive OTA (over the air) 'safety' cam information yet.

Let's try something similar .. fuel prices are also updated OTA. If you select Services / Fuel Prices, do you see anything sensible in the "Cheapest nearby" listing?

Hmm.. no, it doesn't help, but I appreciate that you checked. It means that for whatever reason, your unit has yet to receive OTA (over the air) 'safety' cam information yet.

Let's try something similar .. fuel prices are also updated OTA. If you select Services / Fuel Prices, do you see anything sensible in the "Cheapest nearby" listing?

Yes, that works, no problems...shows cheapest on route, cheapest nearby, user defined, etc...I called TT since last post...they say that they are having legal troubles with certain states to locate, show and alert "safety" cameras...sounds like a bunch of BS to me, AND a violation of my civil rights and privacy because, like I said, my 1405 alerts to EVERY camera in the area....

As a side note, I didn't notice when I bought the refurb that it only came with one month of LIVE services....if I decide to renew it within the remaining 26 days, I could have gotten a brand new one for the same price :-(....and now I don't have "Safety" camera alerts...I may return it and just stick with the 1405, although I do appreciate the voice commands on the 1535....I don't need the Bluetooth, it's built into my car...

Ask a Question