Use Win7 computer to route maps for TOMTOM?

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1535 TM
Which TOMTOM,s can use a computer to configure a route and transfer it to the TOMTOM?

Which TOMTOM,s can use a computer to configure a route and transfer it to the TOMTOM?
My understanding is that any device which uses HOME can use this facility - that excludes those newer devices that use MyDrive. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

See this link HERE

There are a few of the older units (IQRoutes2 and some Start units) that did not support itinerary functions natively.
The last one that we had here in USA (I had to peek at your IP address - you forgot to tell us where you're from) that had this kind of support was the XXL540 -- there are a very few new ones floating around in the marketplace if you can find one.

Can you explain how you plan to use the feature? There are some good tools for creating itineraries for these older units that we may be able to suggest.

Thanks canderson. Yes I am in Georgia, USA.
Up until 3 years ago I used MS Streets & Trips w/GPS on my laptop in my RV, unfortunately the laptop is too large for my car.
For me, because of sometimes shaky fingers and poor eyesight the TOMTOM VIA 1535 that I recently purchased is very hard for me to use. It would make more sense to me to replace it with another which I could use with my Win7 Desktop to plan routes. I tried to do routing using Voice Commands and found I had to repeat each command 3 to 5 times for it to understand, my wife had the same problem. Another problem, I have to put the GPS in the window of my office in order to get a signal, and then have to reach over my desk to do the routing and I am not going to sit in the car to plan a route!
If I could find a new XXL540 and use TYRE would that work? I am open to any suggestions.

Yes, TYRE is the lick for creating a 540 itinerary. The trick is finding any XXL540s on the shelf anywhere.
We still don't understand why itinerary planning was never reinstated as a feature on the newer units like your 1535. It wasn't that we didn't raise enough of a fuss about it, and it never seemed as though the code would have been that difficult.

A possible work around with your Via 1535 TM is to use TYRE and make a separate custom POI category for your routes and put all your itinerary stops in it as POIs.
You can then use MyDrive Connect > Add community content and load all those .ov2s into the device.
Since you planned the route you will have a general idea what the next stop should be and call it up with "Drive to".

Thanks Arno. When I plug in the Via 1353 TM the MyDrive/My Content screen comes up and I sign in.
So far the only purpose I find for this screen is to keep the maps updated.
I don't see anything about "MyDrive Connect",
I don't see anything about "Add community content".
My menu shows "Navigate To..." but no "Drive To"
I am beginning to believe each one of the TOMTOM's is different.

Hello Don,
I don't see anything about "MyDrive Connect",
At the right hand of your Windows tray there should be a TomTom icon. Usually red but changing to grey with a superimposed blue down arrow over it if ther is something to download, like a GPS-fix or Map Shares if you had joined the latter.

Click that icon and a screen like this one should pop up in the bottom RH corner of your computer screen.:

Add_Community_Content.jpg

When you click that blue line the following screen will pop up.:

Add_Community_Content_02.jpg

If you have made a Favorite it is on your device in the Favorites .ov2 file. and, as you can see, can be saved to your computer.
This is very important as you have an "M" device and haver the ability to upload new maps quarterly.
When a new map gets installed, the Favorites are lost but, prior to installation you save them to the computer and after installatio of the new map put them back into the device.

You can see 2 more .ov2s. These are custom POI categories which I have added to my device.
The first one, TM, contains all the motels where I prebooked and most of the places I wanted to visit on my last year's 14,000 km trip to Train Mountain in Chiloquin, OR.
Since I do not adhere rigidly to an itinerary but change my direction at the drop of a hat, when I see something nicer I have stopped making Itineraries for my GO 930 years ago.
I do use that device to make all my POIs connected to HOME2 as I can use the computer to type everything. (Same as would be with the XXL540.) have not used TYRE in a long time but that is what you suggested to use yourself.

My menu shows "Navigate To..." but no "Drive To"
My Via 1535 (not 1535TM) shows:

Drive-to_.jpg

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks again Arno. You provided me with a lot of info to look into, I may contact you with more questions, GPS is totally new to me and I have too frequent Senior Moments!
My VIA 1535 TM shows "Navigate to" the upper left corner not the "Drive to" like your VIA 1535 does but I assume it means the same.

My VIA 1535 TM shows "Navigate to" the upper left corner not the "Drive to" like your VIA 1535 does but I assume it means the same.
Yup, that is my guess too. Your unit is newer than mine.

Just for info, when I tap Drive to, the next screen is:

Drive-to_02.jpg

If you chose to use the POI approach, one easy way to keep them all ordered (instead of having to remember the order the way a true itinerary unit will do) is to name then sequentially:

01-Red Riding Hood's House
02-Road to Grandma's House
03-Past Big Bad Wolf's House
04-Deli to Pick up Pastrami for Grandma
05-Grandma's House
etc

That way, they'll stay sequenced when you view your custom POI later.

There were apparently too many sylables in "Navigate to" for the colonial types to understand! :p

Ahh but the PERSON is doing the driving, the TomTom is doing the navigating.

Ask a Question