Use Motorola Razr V3 charger on TT720?

I was thinking about buying a fast charger for my TomTom 720. It plugs into the wall and supposed to charge it faster than using the USB on the computer.

I noticed that my 720 has the same type of small USB port as my Motorola Razr V3 charger. Has anybody here used the Razr charger on there 720?

I would like to assume that if the charger does not overcharge a cell phone that it would not overcharge my TT, but I don't want to gamble because it's not cheap.

Your cell phone USB charger should work OK. However, the TomTom unit and cell phones are subject to overcharging in any case. It does not damage them, but it does reduce the useful capacity of the batteries if you leave it on consistently too long.

You can get a cheap Radio Shack timer and set it for the recommended charging time and not worry about it.

Be aware that using a third party charger on your unit immediately voids the warranty. First, check the voltage on the phone charger and compare it to the fast charger to make sure they are the same. Tom Tom units don't have a built-in safety to prevent over-charging, which is why you're only supposed to charge them a couple of hours at a time.

Be aware that using a third party charger on your unit immediately voids the warranty. First, check the voltage on the phone charger and compare it to the fast charger to make sure they are the same. Tom Tom units don't have a built-in safety to prevent over-charging, which is why you're only supposed to charge them a couple of hours at a time.
First, it won't "immediately" void the warranty. TomTom would need to be able to show that the 3rd party charge actually caused damage.

You state that the TomTom does have a built in charge regulator, where are your getting this information from? From what I have read from TomTom directly, the unit cannot be over-charge. This together with the fact that the USB cable supplied by TomTom certainly does not have a regulator in it, leads me to believe that the unit _does_ regulate the charge (or that the voltage is so low going into the unit that it won't harm the unit).

Lastly, TomTom has specifically stated that leaving the unit plugged in over night (or however long) will not result in it over-charging and this practice it perfectly fine (google is your friend for confirmation).

This subject comes up fairly frequently on this forum. There's a very informative post here:

Charging TomTom
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=1234

Be sure to read post #5.

Hope this helps.
That is the post I read prior to this one, in which TomTom states the unit can be left plugged in and won't over-charge. I doubt this is a function of the USB cable as it's simply... a USB cable. I suspect that the TomTom unit does not have a regulator in it, rather, the USB voltage is so low that it won't really harm the batteries.

But one error is Oscar's comment at the bottom about lithium batteries in cell phones. They _don't_ develop memory. NiCad batteries do. This is one reason why lithium batteries are so much better. But I see this as moot as I don't see what it has to do with the TomTom unit.

Ask a Question