Use Latest Map Guarantee

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2
I just purchased a TTR2 and like many users, cannot successfully "Operate my device" from Rider Home.
As such:
1) Cannot set username and password on the device
2) Cannot do itinerary planning

After reading some of the threads and with input from Rick (user racs) it looks like having the latest software versions and the latest map version may solve the problem.
My current values are as follows:
TomTom Application for Rider 2: 7.901
TomTom HOME version 2.6.3.1609
Map: North America 2GB version 715.1712

Since my unit is "new" and came with an out of date map (version 715 versus the currently available 825) I expected to be able to downlload the current 825 version of the North America map free of charge. I am having a problem with getting the latest map.

From within TomTom Home
tools->Use Latest Map Guarantee
results states that the version I have (715) is the latest, however clearly 825 is the latest !!

With all that as background, here are my questions
1) How do I get the latest map 825 per "Use Latest Map Guarantee" for free?
2) Does having the North America 2GB v825 map along with having TomTom Application for Rider 2: 7.901 and TomTom HOME version 2.6.3.1609 in fact resolve the "operate my RIDER" problem?

Call support at 866-486-6866 for assistance.

They are still open today (Saturday).

Have you created an acct on the TomTom website? You will need to do that, providing an email address as your log in.

They should be giving you the latest map, and it will be placed into your account.

Cheers!

Have you created an acct on the TomTom website? You will need to do that, providing an email address as your log in.

They should be giving you the latest map, and it will be placed into your account.

Cheers!

I called support... they open a ticket and asked me to add content to the ticket, namely a scan of my purchase receipt. Upon attaching the jpg of the recept to the ticket and calling back, they did as you stated they would... put the latest 825 map in my account.
When I started up TomTom HOME it looked for updates (I have this preference set) and indeed it was there. I was able to successfully download this version. However when it attempted to laod, it ran out of space on the SD card.
I called support again and was instructed to delete the existing map via Home->Remove Items.
then restart HOME, which I did. incidently, I had already done a backup of the RIDER.
Upon restarting HOME, select Show contents of my Rider.
This shows that the new version of the map is on the computer. From here iI was able to select it and complete the install.

Once the new 825 map is installed... the good news is.... Operate my RIDER now works!
For reference, here is my configuration for which Operate my RIDER works:
TomTom Application for Rider 2: 7.901
TomTom HOME version 2.6.3.1609
Map: North America 2GB version 825.2158

Glad to hear you got it working!....Make sure you do a full back up using Explorer. I back mine up with HOME as well as Explorer, just in case.

Cheers

I just suffered through this event myself and I can only advise anyone who comes upon this thread: MAKE SURE YOU GET AN UPDATED MAP DURING THE FIRST 30 DAYS OF OWNERSHIP BY WHATEVER METHOD NECESSARY! Even though their software told me I had the most current map (not) and therefore I didn't worry about it until I found I could not run "Operate My Rider" on the computer and found threads about it on this forum, they would not give me a new map even though I was only about 6 weeks out of my 30 day wiindow. I bought the map update (ka ching) and all is working now...

Bob

Last edited:
Mapscam

Since my unit is "new" and came with an out of date map (version 715 versus the currently available 825) I expected to be able to downlload the current 825 version of the North America map free of charge. I am having a problem with getting the latest map.

From within TomTom Home
tools->Use Latest Map Guarantee
results states that the version I have (715) is the latest, however clearly 825 is the latest !!

You were fortunate that you became aware that you did not have the most current map. I had the same problem, and I took their word (TT Home's word) for it that my maps were current... until I read this forum and realized that newer versions had been available for months and it was past my 30 day window (I did attempt to update several times during the 30 day "Map Guaranteee" window). Contacted support and they advise me... tough luck. Shuck out $60 to PURCHASE the fix of a defect that TT was well aware of. More to come...

Meanwhile, caveat emptor. I'm certain that this problem still exists in units being sold everywhere. Mine was purchased April 1 and put in service April 7, 2009. Make sure anyone you know who is considering purchase is aware of what they need to do to get their full $ worth from this product. Not a huge problem in the grand scheme of things. I just think a consumer ought to get what he was promised.

Bob

Nailgun,

If it's only 45 days old, try to return it to your place of purchase and say it's defective (eg the computer connection feature doesn't work like it does for other people you know with the same model).

Many stores will exchange electronics for the same exact model without a restocking fee it its defective. That new model may start your 30-day counter over again. Set up a new email and call support as a brand new user, saying you bought a new model and was told newer maps were available. If you can get store credit and buy it on a separate receipt (without the return on it) that's even better.

I personally don't feel like this is at all unethical - the device is technically defective (can't use the "operate my RIDER" feature) and HOME lied to you saying no new map is available.

Nailgun,

If it's only 45 days old, try to return it to your place of purchase and say it's defective (eg the computer connection feature doesn't work like it does for other people you know with the same model).

Many stores will exchange electronics for the same exact model without a restocking fee it its defective. That new model may start your 30-day counter over again. Set up a new email and call support as a brand new user, saying you bought a new model and was told newer maps were available. If you can get store credit and buy it on a separate receipt (without the return on it) that's even better.

I personally don't feel like this is at all unethical - the device is technically defective (can't use the "operate my RIDER" feature) and HOME lied to you saying no new map is available.

Thanks for the advice. I purchased it on the internet and, given that I was taking a chance,with all the bad press internet purveyors of elecronics are getting, I don't think I'd push my luck! :D

Got a great price and Electronics Expo delivered very quickly so I'm pleased with them as a vendor, but... if TT does not come through and do the right thing I'll just do what I usually do (good or bad) and let everyone I know on every motorcycle forum or event I visit what my experience with the product has been. Overall, I'm actually pleased with the Rider - and Tyre & Tripmaster 3rd party software. Just don't like getting taken for a "ride" by deceptive means.

Bob

You can always call Tomtom phone support - say you were lied to about the software LMG saying no map was available. Be polite but firm. Ask to speak to supervisors, say you'll report to better business bureau, etc.

It may take a few calls, maybe try nice once, pushy the next, etc.

Tech support can add the map quickly and easily, you just have to find a willing / sympathetic representative.

You can always call Tomtom phone support - say you were lied to about the software LMG saying no map was available. Be polite but firm. Ask to speak to supervisors, say you'll report to better business bureau, etc.

It may take a few calls, maybe try nice once, pushy the next, etc.

Tech support can add the map quickly and easily, you just have to find a willing / sympathetic representative.

My mistake was, while watiing for a coherent answer from support, to go ahead and download the maps and pay for them, apparently. They've let me know they have no intention of refunding my money. Citing the legal mumbo jombo in their EULA, etc.

Oh well. You get what you pay for (sort of) and I didn't have $800 to shell out for a Garmin. :eek:

Bob

You could also try to contest the new charge with your credit card statement - show paperwork saying that map was already paid separately (fax CC company LMG contract clause when asked, etc).

Ask a Question