Use Latest Map Guarantee

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
I purchased a new TomTom GO 720 on Oct 30th since I was leaving the next day to go to Florida.

I came home and installed TomTom Home on my laptop and noticed under tools, Use Latest Map Guarantee. I then clicked on it and it stated that my device already has the latest map.

I then travelled 2300 kms down to Florida and as I was down there I found this forum. What a great forum by the way. I noticed in readng articles in this forum that my map version 710 was not indeed the latest map. I read in here that sometimes it doesn't show the latest map. I believe in my case there has been several updates since, we are now at version 815 or something like that?

Anyways, the point I am trying to make is that there system for map guarantee is terrible. If I wasn't internet savy and just your average person who buys a gps and then uses it without investigating any further I would of never known that there was a new map and because of TomTom Home would've thought that I had the latest.

I then find out in order for me to update it, I have to call them, fax my proof of purchase (which I left at home) in order to get the latest map.

I then had to wait 2 weeks to come home in order to call them.

The process in my opinion is terrible. I had to call, fax a copy of purchase, and then call them back again in 2 hrs in order to get it.

So much for their advertising a 30 day latest map guarantee. How many people buy a new TomTom, and then check in there TomTom Home program and THINK they have the latest maps? Then months later they end up having to buy the latest which they probably couldv'e had in their first 30 days if they would of known?????

Brian:mad:

Quite a few probably miss out that way. Given all the trouble, you should be glad you (I assume) got a new map. Did you end up with 810 or did you do it late enough to get 815?

TomTom's site still instructs to use Home to see if you are eligible for a mew map, which apparently appears not work anymore (it did for a 720 I setup for a friend earlier this year).

They do instruct you to log on to your account before checking for new maps - did you do that when you first tried? If not - it would not offer anything, as it will tie that map download to your account, so it needs to have you logged onto an account.

Because I was in Florida and left my proof of purchase at home, I had to wait 2 weeks to get home in order to call them. Luckily within that time period they came out with another map update (815).
So I ended up getting that one.

I am downloading it right now and I will let you know how it all worked out. I did explain to them how upset I was that they advertise the latest map, but how many people never really get it because of the way they offer it.

The tech rep did agree with me, but like he said he only works there.

Thanks
Brian

Good luck - many users have had trouble with 8.3 and 815 maps. If so, check recent posts - there are some fixes on them (sluggish, stuttering, etc.).

Ask a Question