Use GMAIL for TomTom Home Accounts...

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 920
I was a "victim" of having to create separate TT Home accounts because the first one (XL330S) I took back, then the second one (GO920) failed, and now I'm on my third (GO920). But if you use GMAIL, it's not that bad...

For instance your email address is "[email protected]", and you use this as your first TT Home account. Now you get another GPS unit, but instead of registering another email address with a web-based provider to use for a second TT Home account, just use "[email protected]" for the TT Home account.

TT Home sees "[email protected]" as a different email address, but GMAIL doesn't. It doesn't matter how many "dots" you put in your email address, GMAIL sees it as you. So you can have "[email protected]", and the email will still get to you. This is what I did. Try it out... ;)

Sorry if this old news, but I'm new on here and thought I'd share.

I was a "victim" of having to create separate TT Home accounts because the first one (XL330S) I took back, then the second one (GO920) failed, and now I'm on my third (GO920). But if you use GMAIL, it's not that bad...

For instance your email address is "[email protected]", and you use this as your first TT Home account. Now you get another GPS unit, but instead of registering another email address with a web-based provider to use for a second TT Home account, just use "[email protected]" for the TT Home account.

TT Home sees "[email protected]" as a different email address, but GMAIL doesn't. It doesn't matter how many "dots" you put in your email address, GMAIL sees it as you. So you can have "[email protected]", and the email will still get to you. This is what I did. Try it out... ;)

I didn't know that. I already had 2 gmail accounts though. One for very important emails like bills, etc, and another that I use for forum registrations, etc. When I had my ONE XL, I had it registered under the forum email address.

When I got my 720, I had linking problems so i just registered the new device under my main important email. Both my gmail addresses have a "." (dot) in them but are completely different. You're saying I could have just thrown in an extra dot and I still would receive email at the original email, but Home thinks it's a whole new email addy?

I'm just trying to make sure I understood this correctly.

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.51 Beta (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/1718; U; en))

I didn't know that. I already had 2 gmail accounts though. One for very important emails like bills, etc, and another that I use for forum registrations, etc. When I had my ONE XL, I had it registered under the forum email address.

When I got my 720, I had linking problems so i just registered the new device under my main important email. Both my gmail addresses have a "." (dot) in them but are completely different. You're saying I could have just thrown in an extra dot and I still would receive email at the original email, but Home thinks it's a whole new email addy?

I'm just trying to make sure I understood this correctly.[/QUOTE]

Exactly right. Or you could take the "dot" out that you're using now. This is documented on GMAIL's FAQs somewhere.

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.51 Beta (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/1718; U; en))

Exactly right. Or you could take the "dot" out that you're using now. This is documented on GMAIL's FAQs somewhere.

Hah! Very nice! I just tried sending an email to myself without the dot in the middle of my first and last name, and the email still came to me! This is very helpful :) Thanks!

Very nice! I have been using gmail for about 2 years and never knew that little trick. That would have saved me alot of troubles with a few sites. Thank you. :)

I don't know why it works for you guys but it definitely NOT work for me.
It just simply never works.

So that statement above might be holding some other condition to be true as it not true for all cases.

I don't know why it works for you guys but it definitely NOT work for me.
It just simply never works.

So that statement above might be holding some other condition to be true as it not true for all cases.

What's not working for you?

Did any email address with a dot prior to the @ work for you? I just tried a test email for me with just one example, mind you, and it did work.

I believe you guys that it did work, just for me, it did NOT work.
Trust me I try every scenario, the only one works that is the original without the dot.
I do NOT have the gmail account with dot.

Piano, are you clear what was being said?

You have an account called (e-mail address removed).

Now, if you or anyone sends an email to (e-mail address removed), that email will STILL appear in your (e-mail address removed) account, not in a newly created gmail.com account with a piano.CM2000 prefix.

And that's what you want. Allows for a bunch of 'disposable' email accounts when you need them for TT or any other website.

If that is your understanding and it still doesn't work, sorry. :eek:

Just tried it again and still works perfectly. I tried it with an email that does not normally have the dot, so I threw in a dot in a random spot, and it went through. I also tried removing the dot from an email that does have the dot, and still works.

Piano is just having a bad day that's all.

LOL :D
Thanks dhn
Honestly, I did reread a few time 'cuz I might think I did missing something :)
Actually, I thought you guys said like this "if i have (e-mail address removed)"
I still be able to LOG IN as piano.CM2000 in gmail" so I tried and didn't work.
For that, I rep++ you up, m8 :)

I try again sending emails from Hotmail and Yahoo.
Only Yahoo mail got deliveried.

Edit: both working now :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question