USB port on go730 not working

I hopped in my car this morning and plugged in my RDS/power cable as normal. However, this morning the traffic bar did not come up, althoug the charging light was lit. So I took my 730 into the office with me to connect it to my laptop to see what might be wrong. But the unit does not connect to my computer either, although once again, the charging light is on. I tried pressing the reset button for 15 seconds several times, but the computer still does not see the GPS. I know the USB port on the laptop is in perfect working order.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how to fix it? I have already tried the reset and squeezing the connectors to make a solid connection.

Thanks!

Are you talking about the reset button on the bottom of the unit or the power button on the top?

And, if the true reset button...is it REALLY resetting? You can tell by the screen going dark, rebooting and hearing the drums. Sometimes, you push the reset button thingy but it doesn't make proper solid contact.

Yes, I was using the reset button on the bottom of the unit. I have been using Windows Mobile for years now, so I am familier with those little buttons!

I have gotten the drums only once, although I have seen the black screen several times. I just did the reset again and got tha black screen, but no drums.

I have been in IT for over a decade now, and from a software developer as well as a QA perspective, I cannot see how this application was approved for distribution. Maybe it is just the Linux OS. But I have had some irritating problems myself, and read about some other issues that should have been taken care of before any production release. Do more testing, Tomtom!

The USB driver in the Tomtom crashes occasionally, especially if you just updated software. Since the power button puts the Tomtom into sleep mode, it doesn't "reboot" the USB driver. The only way is dhn's pin reset.

If the USB still doesn't work after a pin reset, then the USB hardware is likely bad. Try a different cable/computer first, and check for dirt in the USB jack. If you can't fix it via that method, call Tomtom for a warranty replacement.

USB reboot

The USB driver in the Tomtom crashes occasionally, especially if you just updated software. Since the power button puts the Tomtom into sleep mode, it doesn't "reboot" the USB driver. The only way is dhn's pin reset.

If the USB still doesn't work after a pin reset, then the USB hardware is likely bad. Try a different cable/computer first, and check for dirt in the USB jack. If you can't fix it via that method, call Tomtom for a warranty replacement.

I had similar dto not recognize on my USB ports
Did the reboot & Now OK
Shut down Home but unit not responding
Will try Sd & R Start of unit
Now restarting -- requests do you want to connect to computer , "Yes" ,home starts but shows no device connected until I choose internal or memory card -looks like all OK & did not even loose Bluthtooth pairing of Samsung SPH 300 which was a bitch to set up
Thanks for advice

Ask a Question