USB device not recognized

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 920
Hi all

I have a TT 920, now all of a sudden i plug in the USB cable so i can do the updates and i get the error "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." .... So I unplug it and try another USB port .... I get the same error, well this time I plug in my BB Storm in the same USB port that gave me the error and it works fine with my BB, I also tried it with my digital camera and it works fine with my camera but it won't work with my TT.

Any ideas of what's going on?

Thanks

Yeah, maybe......

Do a pin reset on your unit for about 5 seconds. Then dock it and see if the unit is recognized.

Unfortunately, when it comes to phone pairing, I'm utterly devoid of any useful information. :)

But if you use the search function and put in Storm and select to show posts, you may find something of value.

Yeah, maybe......

Do a pin reset on your unit for about 5 seconds. Then dock it and see if the unit is recognized.
That this keeps happening to people -- heck, that it happens at ALL -- just amazes me. What this means is that the device is losing track of its USB ID information and is either sending none or only part of it to the PC or is sending BAD information to the PC. For a USB capable device, this is pretty basic stuff to be getting wrong all the time. That information as a stored in flash should be compared to the in-memory information (should be in the boot loader) for validity before it's ever sent.

I've had my TomTom 730 for 10 months. Never had a problem till today with the usb malfunction error. Kind of strange, just out of the clear blue. The pin reset resolved the issue.

The exact same problem happened to my new/refurbished 920....did several pin resets and FINALLY the thing starts working....I like TomTom...BUT!!!!

Seems like I have to do the pin reset every time I connect via USB these days. This wasn't an issue until I moved to the 8.530 firmware. Nothing new or better at 8.351, either. It's as though the TomTom's DRAM copy of the USB VID/PID info is being overwritten with garbage after it's been running. Send the wrong info, and Windows has no idea what's been hooked up.

There can't be anything wrong with the version of that info as stored on the flash, or the pin reset wouldn't make things better. Now I just do the pin reset before making a connection. So far, that works every time.

My 720 doesn't seem to have the same problems. I plug it in about twice a week, and it only has USB issues necessitating a pin reset once every 2-3 months.

Do you have a clean 720 image with a clean map to see if it happens? I'm wondering if the patch files needed to do to workaround the screen refresh for Tripmaster may be causing it, that's the only thing that's different between our installs.

I'm wondering if the patch files needed to do to workaround the screen refresh for Tripmaster may be causing it, that's the only thing that's different between our installs.
Naw - this was happening before he had a chance to get TripMaster updated to work with it. Guess I could try just deleting everything off the unit and reloading from scratch. But it's often the bootloader that manages the initial USB connection ... that would be the only way of connecting to and recovering an otherwise "image bricked" unit.

Hi all

I have a TT 920, now all of a sudden i plug in the USB cable so i can do the updates and i get the error "USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." .... So I unplug it and try another USB port .... I get the same error, well this time I plug in my BB Storm in the same USB port that gave me the error and it works fine with my BB, I also tried it with my digital camera and it works fine with my camera but it won't work with my TT.

Any ideas of what's going on?

Thanks
I am not the only Tom Tom customer who experienced this common USB code 43 error. Whilst I have not received any Tom Tom customer support reply to date. I have now fixed this fault on my own. Pressing the Reset button under the Tom Tom unit to reset it ( if this error occurs.) It fixed my Tom Tom GO 930 USB code 43 error fault.

I think i've got an even better fix since resetting the device all the time is kinda irritating.
Plug in an SD card connect your tomtom to the pc. (if you already have an SD card in your tomtom the take it out and attach device to pc).
Somehow attaching or removing an SD card seems to fix the error every time for me. :) great thing is it works even after you detach the SD again.

What you are doing by removing/replacing the card is causing the unit to reboot. Equivalent to a pin reset (for models having a dedicated reset hole) or holding the power button for 10-15 seconds till the drum roll sound is heard.

Unfortunately, most newer models no longer have a sd slot so users of these models can't take advantage of your (quicker to reboot) suggestion.

Thanks for mentioning it, though. :)

GO 730 not recognized on PC

I USED RESET BUTTON ON THE BOTTOM
turned the unit on & off connected to PC, everything worked

Ask a Question