USB data cable

The USB data cable that came with the XXL 540 S is short. I have what appears to be a longer one that is for my Blackberry. All connectors are exactly the same. Is it safe to assume that these cables are compatible, or do manufacturers wire them as they see fit?

My Blackberry USB cable works. One side of the smaller plug (Marked up) is too thick and may harm the TOM TOM port. I had to shave .020" (~ .5 MM) from that side of the small Blackberry plug. I shaved starting at the up label as shown. I f this is not done, the plug may torque the socket on the Tom Tom and damage the solder joints.

Attachments

• tn_Blackberry plug 1.JPG
    tn_Blackberry plug 1.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 578
Blackberry USB-A to Mini USB with Extension USB Cabling

The USB data cable that came with the XXL 540 S is short. I have what appears to be a longer one that is for my Blackberry. All connectors are exactly the same. Is it safe to assume that these cables are compatible, or do manufacturers wire them as they see fit?

I am in the same boat. I used the same Blackberry USB A to Mini USB (cable from my Blackberry BOLD) with an extra USB A extension to a BLUE Ant Handsfree USB 12 Volt Charger as oppose to the TT 12 Volt Charger. Works great and with no more excessive wires hanging over the dash from the TT secured to the windsheld; as all wires are secured and tucked away within the headliner of my truck.

:( If I can only get Lane Guidance to work in Canada that would be great!

I am in the same boat. I used the same Blackberry USB A to Mini USB (cable from my Blackberry BOLD) with an extra USB A extension to a BLUE Ant Handsfree USB 12 Volt Charger as oppose to the TT 12 Volt Charger. Works great and with no more excessive wires hanging over the dash from the TT secured to the windsheld; as all wires are secured and tucked away within the headliner of my truck.

:( If I can only get Lane Guidance to work in Canada that would be great!

Please assure that the voltage is not 12 volts. I believe that the Tom Tom uses 3.7 VDC. Check your unit for the correct voltage.

Last edited:
If I can only get Lane Guidance to work in Canada that would be great!

As regulars around here can attest, the lack of ALG in canada has been a major source of frustration for me. The 835 map did show 4 exits in the Maritimes but nowhere else as far as I could tell.

The 840 map actually has added at least half a dozen locations on the 403 eastbound between Oakville and the 410! There may be more but I haven't been made aware of them as yet..........

Let's hope for a big improvement in the 845 map due in February!

My Blackberry USB cable works. One side of the smaller plug (Marked up) is too thick and may harm the TOM TOM port. I had to shave .020" (~ .5 MM) from that side of the small Blackberry plug. I shaved starting at the up label as shown. I f this is not done, the plug may torque the socket on the Tom Tom and damage the solder joints.

I'd buy a new one .....They'r so cheap now ....

10 Feet Micro USB Micro-B Data cable for Cell Phones, Charge Cell Phone on PC and Transfer Data, USB 2.0 Type A Male to Micro-USB Type B cable

These are often referred to as USB-mini or USB-b cables. I have no less than 3, one came with my camera, one with my cell phone and one with my TomTom. They are all the same. I could open an electronics store with all the extra crap I have. Looks like I have a trip to the eWaste disposal site in my near future.

Ask a Question