USA 855 update

Does anyone know what was added to the USA in the 855 update
Seriously? If you were a noobie, I'd guess I understand your question, but since you've been with us here, and around the block, (both literally and figuratively) with TomTom for some time, I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding what you're asking.

No one that I know has ever been able to decipher the TomTom map file format, much less been able to do a delta between two of them.

I don't discern any new features in the 855 mapset. Beyond that, it's a matter of searching every possible location to see what's changed.

Seriously? If you were a noobie, I'd guess I understand your question, but since you've been with us here, and around the block, (both literally and figuratively) with TomTom for some time, I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding what you're asking.

No one that I know has ever been able to decipher the TomTom map file format, much less been able to do a delta between two of them.

I don't discern any new features in the 855 mapset. Beyond that, it's a matter of searching every possible location to see what's changed.

Seriously, I don't like your attitude. Maybe the stress of this should eliminate you as a super moderator. Do me a favor and don't answer any of my questions. You really have an obnoxious attitude when all I was just wondering was how many so called USA corrections were made.

Seriously, I don't like your attitude. Maybe the stress of this should eliminate you as a super moderator. Do me a favor and don't answer any of my questions. You really have an obnoxious attitude when all I was just wondering was how many so called USA corrections were made.
I was pulling your chain, Doctor. We've both been here long enough that I figured it was worth a grin. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. Lighten up. I'm under zero stress here today.

As to your new question (how many, vs what), is there a way of getting that kind of information from a TT? If so, I'm not familiar with it.

I can tell you that the size of the cline.dat file at 850 was 714,777K, and the poi.dat file was 99,355K.

The cline.dat file at 855 is 719,626K and the poi.dat file is 99,672K.

What those small differences represent in terms of added miles of streets or POI's, I have no idea.

The main change in this map update is the version number. A few old now non existent POI's have been removed and a few new one's have been added. A small number of streets have been added or had their names changed. Otherwise it's pretty much identical to the 850 maps.

Just so people don't ask for a refund on their subscriptions?

Personally, I grow concerned that TT -- by not facilitating lower cost purchase of micro sd cards of good speed for existing units, and adopting as standard policy a practice I see all over this forum (run maps from expansion card and leave device memory for non-map items) -- will enter a death spiral. Maps can only grow so large before they become segmentized.

Take a look at EU for example of issue.

What do we see as a future USA map? Segmented E of Mississippi River and W of same?

That can only make high $$ purchasers of really, really usable Top End units dissatisfied and defectors.

What's left then is low $ entry level population with lower expectations.

I am really concerned about TT US business model.:confused:

Chuck

Have made a few runs from up north into Denver and Boulder, and haven't yet run across anything new. Took a peek at some Mapshare info from over a year ago and still no changes (all closures on minor roads and a couple of added minor roads).

Ask a Question