US TomTom Plus user in Europe.

I hope this has not been answered before... I've not been able to find any threads on the subject:

I travel often to Europe (Germany) where traffic jams can be a REAL big problem. I'm using my TomTom One here in cleveland and have it hooked up to my US (GSM w/ international roaming) cell phone. The phone works for voice and data in germany. Will TomTom Plus traffic updated work while I'm in germany? Or do I need to have a "germany based" subscription account?

Anyone tried this?

Great question!!!
You should still be able to recieve traffic info.
As long as your TT Plus account is activated.
Your phone is used only to download from TT's Server like accessing the internet using your phone.

Nice! I've been wondering about this myself, and will be going to Paris next month.

Nothing can describe the joy of navigating through big European cities with your TomTom leading the way. What a stress reliever!

Just one word of caution, though. Your rental car may have an athermic windshield (most French makes have this). Although units with the Sirf III chipset can deal with this (the original Go, 300, 700 couldn't), I found that signal was a bit weaker and that my TT ONE sometimes struggled to keep satellite lock in narrow streets. Outside of the big cities, all was fine.

So I purchased an auxilliary antenna on eBay from a seller in the UK. It came to a bit over $20 with shipping. I'll probably be back there this summer so I can test it out.

Ask a Question