US / Canada Map - One XL

Can anyone advise if the US and Canada maps for sale on the Tomtom website will work on a One XL? It doesn't seem very clear, especisally the ones already on an SD card, which don't list the One XL as compatible.

Can anyone advise if the US and Canada maps for sale on the Tomtom website will work on a One XL?

Hi and welcome to TTF. Yes the offered map appears to be correct one for your One XL - at least it is the same map offered to me through TomTom Home for my One XL. Although I haven't installed this latest update, previous updates through TomTom Home have worked. Perhaps someone who has done so with this latest version can confirm whether this map fits on the internal TomTom memory without having to install it on a bootable SD card (mine is 2GB so no issues there).

It is strongly recommended that before proceeding, if you haven't already done so, make a backup of your TomTom onto your computer. See How to backup contents of your TomTom
for detailed instructions on how to use Windows Explorer, and not TomTom Home, to make backups.

Good luck!

Yes, buy the maps via TomTom Home rather then the website, as all the space requirements will be checked automatically first.

a bootable SD card (mine is 2GB so no issues there).

Just a little side note. I have always used my older XL with the SD card but it has now stopped working. Only works with internal memory.

Nice to have had that option at least unlike my new XXL.

Well, I've gone ahead and bought the map from Tomtom Home. Not really difficult in itself, however I didn't anticipate (or appreciate) the agro in formatting a new SD card (i've got the 1.3 GB Europe maps on the card, so there wasn't room for the US map as well).

Anyway, the real problem was initialising the new card before installing the maps. It took quite a while, and several attempts (not sure why) to download onto the card the data ahead of the map itself. Once that was installed the map went on OK.

Can't test it until I get there though, it does start and asks me where I am in the US, I told it a random city (Tulsa) and it reset itself to there, so I'm pretty optimistic it will work.

Next plan is to get there and use it!

Cheers folks.

Ask a Question