Urban Rider - how to restore original map

Hello,
New to this forum so virtual drinks on me from the United Kingdom :).
Well, I got the Urban Rider European edition from Santa and I started upgrading using Tomtom HOME straight away. After a few software upgrades HOME also suggested I upgrade the map. I thought, OK that cannot harm. It then checked the memory (1.84 GB only) and said that I could not update the whole of Europe any more, not enough memory. I was given some europe zone choices and I chose "europe central". I did not realize that the new map would wipe out my existing UK map. The UK is not part of Europe Central :( So now I am stuck with some European countries but no UK any more! I want to revert to the map that came pre-installed with the unit because that has the whole of Europe including UK. but that does not seem to be on offer any more, my choices are reduced to buying new maps separately via Tomtom HOME.
So, I got myself into a hole because I didn't do the backup as advised on this site.
Anyway, I have my wife's Tomtom here and she has UK maps of course. Can I somehow transfer them to my device and hope it will work, or is there a clever way in which tomtom prevents map sharing?
The best thing would be that Tomtom service sends me the original Europe map that was on the device before.
Cheers, (not so) Easy Urban Rider

If you did not do a backup, either with HOME or more importantly with Explorer, I believe you are out of luck mate.

Your wifes map will not work on your unit.

Give TT support a call and perhaps you will gain a sympathetic ear and they may issue you the original map out of the goodness of their heart.

Before you do that, make an Explorer copy of the map you currently have on your unit.

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply. I hope the tomtom service people are going to help me out. You know what was so pernicious? When I upgraded the map I had lots of choice and it was all free. After the upgrade I could not go back and all the other Europe maps were not free any more. :(
Anyway, hopefully I'll get it back to its original state. If not I'll send it back to the vendor.
Cheers

All the Europe sub-maps should be free under the Map Zones process, your update entitled you to the whole suite of maps.

See this link for directions on how to get the rest of the maps.

Thanks mvl, you are right. I got a reply from TomTom helpdesk. What they said is that the Urban Rider has just 2 GB and the latest Europe maps (with "richer content") do not fit any more. This is why they had to split up the Europe map in five zones: North, West, South, East and Central. They also said that I could change maps at any time, e.g. in my case I should be able to swap easily from "Central" to "North" to include UK. I tried it and it works. Here is how to do it:

Open TomTom Home (I had to upgrade to version 2.8 before it all worked).
Go to "Manage my Rider
> Items on device
> Maps
> "+"
> Change Map Zone

Now you can check another map and download it. The existing one is backup'd on the PC. All this for free.
What this means is that in my previous post I must have chosen the wrong menu item and went to the Tomtom shop where I would have to buy the maps.

Last edited:

Ask a Question