Upgrading to 8.15 Maps on GO 930

TomTom Model(s)
GO 930
Okay, I had a couple of problems, and I did a complete restore using Windows Explorer for my TomTom GO 930. I have installed the 8.15 Maps twice now, once before the restore, and once after the restore. I have the same error message both times. That being "No Maps Found". Installing the 8.15 Maps creates a new subfolder "Maps". Previously all map files were in "North_America" or "Western_and_Central_Europe" subfolders.

Now in the newly created Maps folder are two files. "North_America.tlv" and "Western_and_Central_Europe.tlv".

Missing in the NA and Europe subfolders are these files: MapSettings.cfg and MapUsersPatch.dat.

Should I just copy those over to the same folders on my TomTom device?

I believe you should have a maps folder on your unit. Within the maps folder should be a sub folder called North_America and another called Western Europe (or whatever). Within the NA folder goes all the files including the files you referred to, the same setup for the WE folder.

Check this.....in the NA folder where all your files are should be a file called North_America.pna. It's a text file. Open it in Notepad and look at what the first line says before the .pna extension. It should match EXACTLY the name of the NA map folder itself. If it doesn't, rename it to match the name of the map folder and see if that helps.

Okay, I had a couple of problems, and I did a complete restore using Windows Explorer for my TomTom GO 930. I have installed the 8.15 Maps twice now, once before the restore, and once after the restore. I have the same error message both times. That being "No Maps Found". Installing the 8.15 Maps creates a new subfolder "Maps". Previously all map files were in "North_America" or "Western_and_Central_Europe" subfolders.

Now in the newly created Maps folder are two files. "North_America.tlv" and "Western_and_Central_Europe.tlv".

Missing in the NA and Europe subfolders are these files: MapSettings.cfg and MapUsersPatch.dat.

That should work.

Here is what I did and I have a 930 with a gray coat ;) (920)

I had made a backup of both internal & SDHC card using explorer . (Actualy I moved both) leaving everything blank. I then formated both (fat 32)

Then I had home do and update on applacation, twice first 7.XX then updated again and I got 8.30 app. ( Just app without maps at this point.)

Then I had home install N/A map 8.15 on unit then I moved just the NA map from unit to SDHC card. Then I DL the C\W EU 8.15 map then had home dl any mapshare updates for both.

I then moved the C\W EU & Guam maps to a new folder on my computer for safe keeping leaving the N/A map on card and application on internal memory .

This works fine other than the buggs in the 8.30 app & 8.15 maps. I am thinking of going back to 8.010 app and 8.xx map for now till the buggs are worked out.

I'm back to using the 800 maps right now, and they work fine.

My app is 8.002.

Thank you all for insisting on doing the back ups. Without them I'd be really upset, I'm sure!

I'll try your suggestions for updating to the 815 maps. I actually have a North American, and W/C Europe folders, not in the map folder, but then there is another folder called maps. That's when I do the update to 815, pre update, I have no maps folder, just NA and W/C Europe.

I'm actually using the original config. The only things different might be things like which PoI marks I want to show or what's on my quick menu. I've just been going around in circles, restoring every 2 hours, then trying to update the maps .. blah. I haven't made enough effectual changes at this point to warrant another back up. :(

I trust you had NavCore 8.300 on your 930 before you downloaded the 815.2019 NA map.
I have my NA map in internal memory and the maps folder only contains the North_America.tlv file.
I have the W&CE map on the SDHC card and that maps folder only contains the Western_and_Central_Europe.tlv file.
If both maps are 815 copying the 800/805/810 MapSettings.cfg should not work and the 815 should create its own, differently coded files.

If you have your 815 maps at Home\Downloads, delete the 815 NA, connect to through HOME and download/install the 815 map.
That should now work (famous last words !).

I haven't updated to 8.300 as many other posts here have stated that it is too buggy right now. I've got 8.002 installed.

Installing the 8.15 maps is not creating a config file of any type, should it do so? You're right, copying the old to the new did not work.

Without the firmware 8.3, the map 8.15 will not be functional. So, as long as you have a lower f/w installed, you may as well MOVE your 8.15 map to the hard drive and copy to the unit the lower version map.

It is not a bad idea NOT updating to f/w 8.3. Wait till there is a fix. Hopefully, by the end of the year. (just not sure WHAT year! :eek: )

Ahh. At least I understand why now!!! Hopefully, 2008.
I am surprised that you don't use at least 8.010.
If you have your 8.002 in \Home\downloads\ so that you could revert to it,
do allow HOME to download and install 8.3 .
To me, and the majority of posters in other lists, the benefits well outweigh some of the annoyances.
Keep in mind that most post about problems and hope to hear how someone has overcome them.
Very few post in a forum to tell everyone all's well.

There is no reason for anyone to have firmware 8.3 if they don't have maps 8.15 installed (for which 8.3 is needed).

Too many issues: (lag in screen refresh, computer voices stuttering, loss of FM transmission).

There is no reason for anyone to have firmware 8.3 if they don't have maps 8.15 installed (for which 8.3 is needed).
Right. Since the OP started this thread and said that he could not open his 815 map with his 8.002 NavCore, I pointed that he must have v8.3 (v7.9 if he had a 910 or other legacy device) if he wants to use the 815 map.

A good one third of people in multiple forums do not have any excessive problems if FM broadcast is ignored.
Loss of FM transmission has become anathema unless someone convinces TT to use different firmware on different continents.
In Europe, users of TMC equipped units seem to experienced the bulk of the stuttering.

I don't think someone should be discouraged from finding out if his is not one of the problem units.
I, for one, will not hold off for a fix without having checked that I need one.
(At the time I downloaded the 815 map, Support already told me that they were working on an improved version, as I reported here.)

Without the firmware 8.3, the map 8.15 will not be functional. So, as long as you have a lower f/w installed, you may as well MOVE your 8.15 map to the hard drive and copy to the unit the lower version map.

It is not a bad idea NOT updating to f/w 8.3. Wait till there is a fix. Hopefully, by the end of the year. (just not sure WHAT year! :eek: )

Or ... he could go to version 8.2 (940 application version) and get the restored refresh rate, stutter free TTS, snazzy new icons and a few new features like Flight mode. In addition, you get the full benefit of IQR2 and all it costs is the loss of FM voice instructions and PAID GPRS services (free ones still work, as does BT, voice input of addresses, etc). One pity though is that we dont get the extended voice control to input more than just address, like the 940 has.

Unless TT makes a fix with the new icons, I am NOT going back. Hehehehehe.

Thanks Arno.

I just got my TomTom on Saturday, so really haven't had much time to play with it either way yet.
You are very welcome.
I the two weeks while waiting for my 930, end of May, I must have read several thousand entries. That being my first ever GPS made it a little bewildering.
I first looked for Yahoo groups. There, after a day someone recommended the English forum www.expansys.com. That was very confusing as they were mostly talking about how to use the new 930 software on their 920s. Then someone said www.yournav.com is much better, and that was true. I did most of my reading there, particularly since I bought the unit for a trip over there two weeks hence.
I found this list while Googleing for something but in early June there were slim pickings for 930 info.

I am surprised that your 930 was shipped with 8.002, as was mine, half a year before. Did yours come with the 815.2019 map or did you get that via the Latest Map Guarantee?
If you have an older map and don't like the 8.300, you could follow dhn's advice.

Check your maps to see if you have the 1.4 GB Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB on your machine. If it doesn't say _2GB you are OK. If it does, have a look at this entry.

You are very welcome.
I the two weeks while waiting for my 930, end of May, I must have read several thousand entries. That being my first ever GPS made it a little bewildering.
I first looked for Yahoo groups. There, after a day someone recommended the English forum www.expansys.com. That was very confusing as they were mostly talking about how to use the new 930 software on their 920s. Then someone said www.yournav.com is much better, and that was true. I did most of my reading there, particularly since I bought the unit for a trip over there two weeks hence.
I found this list while Googleing for something but in early June there were slim pickings for 930 info.

I am surprised that your 930 was shipped with 8.002, as was mine, half a year before. Did yours come with the 815.2019 map or did you get that via the Latest Map Guarantee?
If you have an older map and don't like the 8.300, you could follow dhn's advice.

Check your maps to see if you have the 1.4 GB Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB on your machine. If it doesn't say _2GB you are OK. If it does, have a look at this entry.

Arno,

You need to check out the fora at www.gpsreview.net and
www.pocketgpsworld.com

Lots of great TomTom posts on both sites.

815 map could never be shipped with anything but NC 8.30, BTW.

Hi Arno,

My TomTom was on sale at Best Buy. Probably stock they've had for a while.

I used the Map Guarantee to get the 8.15 maps.

Ask a Question