Upgraded today from the TomTom GO 910 to the GO 920.

TomTom GO 920 first impressions:

Liking:
Slick design, like the shape, the screen size
Worked at first power on out of the box with no issues.
Called TomTom support to get traffic subscription transferred from 910 to 920; no issue (about 10 minutes on the phone, and everything works great)
Interesting information on the traffic, TT support told me that their no subscription fee with the RDS-TMC; the fee is only for the traffic thru GPRS
Went thru a short tunnel and saw the continuous update of the map with GPS replaced by EPT icon; came back thru the same tunnel couple of hours later, lost GPS again but no EPT this time and map stopped updating: I will have to keep an eye on this....
Coming from the spacious HDD from the 910 for MP3 and Photos you have to be selective of what you want to listen to because of the space limitation on the 920, barely 200 MB left out of 4 GB for the internal memory.
one trick since I don't need the Western European map until I travel their, I just deleted it (after a backup of course), and it gave me 1.5GB to play with.
Hands free call has better voice quality for the receiving end, but call goes thru the internal speaker instead of the car speaker.
like the integrated FM transmitter no more problems with the bumps on the road making the 910 lose the FM transmit frequency at time.

Dislike:
No male computer voice; Dave is not there, only Susan. Not enough room on the internal memory to install both voices :( TomTom home shows that if you want Dave you have to install from the CD; there is no Dave on the CD that came with the 920.
Lucky me to have backups from my Go 910; copied Dave voice files under the same folder than Susan, and now the 920 has a male computer voice :)
Blue-tooth remote takes some get use to; it has to pair with the GO before it can send commands :(
For that pricey Navigation system not even a soft case like the one from the 910, had to buy that extra accessory to protect the investment :(

Thank you to this forum for information on how to open the remote to insert the batteries; TT should improve the explanation on the how to.
Thank you to this forum for the SD card that works withe GO 920; following the information that the 4 GB Sandisk SDHC had been used successfully, went on line to Circuit City ordered the 4GB SDHC for $37.72 and picked it up 20 minutes later at the local store.
Installed that new card, deleted the MP3 from the internal memory, and loaded about 3 GB of MP3 on the card, and the GO recognizes it has an additional drive and plays the MP3 from it with no problem. The only thing is that TomTom Home shows both internal memory and additional card
so every time it ask which device you want to update, no big thing I guess, just an extra step.

So far very pleased with the upgrade :cool: . Sorry the long post.......

One more glitch.....
In the car pressed the windshield mount against the glass and within 2 minutes Tomtom GO 920 with the mount fell off on the floor :mad: A spit on the suction cup before pressing the windshield again fixed the problem :eek: ; but it leaves ring marks on the windshield :(

As I understand it, the EPT sensors have to calibrate themselves at a time when a good GPS signal is available. Presumably this happens when you first power up the unit, but it may need to be refreshed periodically. If the calibration fails then you're supposed to get the behavior you described on the second trip through the tunnel.

How long had the GPS been on with a good signal before you entered the tunnel? Was it different from your other trip through? I haven't had a chance to put mine to a test yet.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can add an SD card for your music and photos, and they're cheap. The slot on mine is taped over, but I assume that's just to keep dirt out. But I agree, dumping the european map makes sense too if you don't plan to take your GPS there in the foreseeable future.

What is exactly on the SD card of the 920? is it all the maps or whatever. I would like to upgrade but if I do, what do I put on it for my tomtom to work the same as it does not with more room?

There is an empty card slot on the 920 which is taped over with a message "No SD card required". If you remove the tape you'll see that the slot has a dummy card in it made of solid plastic. There's 4 GB of internal memory which contains maps of North America, Guam and Europe.

See the diagram on page 2 of the manual, item G is labeled "Memory card slot (SD card not included) for optional additional maps."

As I understand it, the EPT sensors have to calibrate themselves at a time when a good GPS signal is available. Presumably this happens when you first power up the unit, but it may need to be refreshed periodically. If the calibration fails then you're supposed to get the behavior you described on the second trip through the tunnel.

How long had the GPS been on with a good signal before you entered the tunnel? Was it different from your other trip through? I haven't had a chance to put mine to a test yet.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can add an SD card for your music and photos, and they're cheap. The slot on mine is taped over, but I assume that's just to keep dirt out. But I agree, dumping the european map makes sense too if you don't plan to take your GPS there in the foreseeable future.

Boyd,
I know about the calibration needed for the DR sensors, and I had plenty of open sky (about 10 miles at freeway speed) before entering the tunnel; the all system should have been well calibrated by then. When I have some free time, I will have to repeat the experiment.
As for SD card, I replaced the dummy one with an SDHC 4GB where I loaded my music and photos I did re-use the tape to cover the SD card slot; works great.:)
The only thing I don't trust too much is the windshield mount since I saw the 920 fall off once already; the latest 910 windshield mount worked great, and least you knew that the unit was secured on the windshield......
Please keep us posted on your experience with the 920. Happy navigating :cool:

920 annoyance

Second day using the GO 920, unit fell right off the windshield again even with the "spit" on the suction cup :(
Starting to consider modifying the extra GO 910 mount that I have to accommodate the GO 920. Had the 910 for about a year and a half, not once the unit fell off the windshield even driving a 4WD truck on very bumpy roads; here I have been driving in car on rubberized highway, can't be any smoother. :confused: I contacted TT support by email, we will see what they say.
Anybody else having problem with the GO 920 unit staying on the windshield?

Ordered the 920 from Costco..will be here on Thursday. I had the 910 for a short time, sent it back as it kept locking up and falling off my windshield. Anyway I saw an ad from the GPS Store for a Gilsson Universal Bean Bag Mount which sits on your dash . I ordered it and will be here on Thursday as well. If all works I will let you know

gemro311

Thank you for the suggestions. Tomtom is going to send me replacement mount; we will see what that one does :( Meanwhile I am still nervous that the unit is going to fall off the windshield at any time....

bean bag dash mounts

Anyone tried the Bracketron Nav-Mat Portable GPS Dash Mount? Just wondering if the Gilsson or this would be better?

Ordered the 920 from Costco..will be here on Thursday. I had the 910 for a short time, sent it back as it kept locking up and falling off my windshield. Anyway I saw an ad from the GPS Store for a Gilsson Universal Bean Bag Mount which sits on your dash . I ordered it and will be here on Thursday as well. If all works I will let you know

gemro311

I ordered the TT920 from Costco as well. Was going to get the 720 but with the 920 being only $50 more I went with the 920.:)

I got my 920 yesterday. Last night while upgrading and trying to get the remote open to put in the batteries the mount fell off three time.(Well, that actually took about 3 hours)I had it mounted to a very flat and smooth filing cabinet. The 920 was in the dock, nothing on the mount. I'm looking at a different way to"mount" it have no idea yet.

GO 920 customized windshield mount

Second day using the GO 920, unit fell right off the windshield again even with the "spit" on the suction cup :(
Starting to consider modifying the extra GO 910 mount that I have to accommodate the GO 920. Had the 910 for about a year and a half, not once the unit fell off the windshield even driving a 4WD truck on very bumpy roads; here I have been driving in car on rubberized highway, can't be any smoother. :confused: I contacted TT support by email, we will see what they say.
Anybody else having problem with the GO 920 unit staying on the windshield?

Received and started to use replacement windshield mount sent by TomTom; same problem, GO 920 on occasion still falls off the windshield while driving :mad:
My solution: modified left over GO 910 windshield mount with half of the new GO 920 mount they sent me; and so far so good, working great, no more falling GO unit. :cool:

Attachments

• 01-02-08_2031.jpg
    01-02-08_2031.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 367
Dave is either on the CD or you have to down load him but he's free.

I made sure that I cleaned the winscreen VERY well before I mounted it. It has not come loose yet.

I'm quite happy.

I have the Nav-Mat mount and it works great. I did have to purchase the TomTom alternate mount, because the regular windshield mount wasn't quite high enough to work well with the Nav-Mat. But I'm very happy with the mount.

Ask a Question