Upgrade issues and possible options...

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
I am having some issues with my recent upgrade to navcor 8 and 8.15 maps.

Like most others I also have a studderer and and I have even lost some of my icons, I no longer have TomTom Services, Map Corrections and Music and Media icons.

The only way I can get to the music and media is if I go to the quick menu preferences.

I also have it set to show ALL menu options.

After the update I also have a select button in the bottom left corner opposite the done button. The button is useless since I can just touch the option that I want.

Grrrrrrr...............

I was wondering if anyone has tried to take a backup (from explorer) from a 730 and restore it onto my 720 (overwrite the existing files)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I am having some issues with my recent upgrade to navcor 8 and 8.15 maps.

Like most others I also have a studderer and and I have even lost some of my icons, I no longer have TomTom Services, Map Corrections and Music and Media icons.

The only way I can get to the music and media is if I go to the quick menu preferences.

I also have it set to show ALL menu options.

After the update I also have a select button in the bottom left corner opposite the done button. The button is useless since I can just touch the option that I want.

Grrrrrrr...............

I was wondering if anyone has tried to take a backup (from explorer) from a 730 and restore it onto my 720 (overwrite the existing files)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You mention that you "upgraded" to Navcore8 -- be aware that the 730 started out with Navcore8. You wouldn't want to back up from that.

If you did a proper backup of your 720 pre-Navcore 8.300, you should be in good shape to copy your original files (INCLUDING the maps) back to your 720 and be up and running again with the prior version.

Called Tech support...

They know of the stuttering and the missing icons, he also said that some people have even lost the fm transmitter. Currently there is no fix and they are working on getting a new update out. I asked why haven't pulled the update to fix the issues, his response to me was that they need the feedback from the users to resolve them. So why not put put a free beta program and let the users evaluate who want to rather than having the users pay for the update and result in a FUBAR'd GPS device?

Apparently according to him I am the first to have the select bottom on the bottom right opposite the Done button.

He had me try the following;

1) Reset to Factory Defaults.
Conclusion: Did not help, button is still there.

2) Remove APP 8.3, and re-add Application via TTHOME. I had to update twice once to get it to v7.45 and then a second time to get it to 8.30.
Conclusion: Rebooted 720 and it didn't help.

3) Download the Clearflash tool and run three times.
Conclusion: I ran it three times, still no luck. Currently back on hold trying to get to a tech.

I also asked him the difference between the 720 and the 730 now that there is an app and map update. He told me that you won't get the ALG and the IQ routes.. Hmmmm, I let him know that after I updated ALG and IQ routes were included in the map update. He said," wow I would enjoy it, they may remove that in the next update".

:eek:

Upgrade to Navcor 8 or not?

So, I have a TT Go 720 with the original software. Should I stick with it or upgrade? It sounds like the latest upgrade is problematic.

You mention that you "upgraded" to Navcore8 -- be aware that the 730 started out with Navcore8. You wouldn't want to back up from that.

If you did a proper backup of your 720 pre-Navcore 8.300, you should be in good shape to copy your original files (INCLUDING the maps) back to your 720 and be up and running again with the prior version.

Yes I do have a backup pre-Navcore.8.3....:D

Yes I do have a backup pre-Navcore.8.3....:D
GREAT! Copying the whole mess back onto your 720 (that would include both the maps and the app and associated config files) can put you back to where you were.

Like you, I moved to 8.300 before realizing that it was a bad plan. I hadn't been reading here regularly enough, and loaded 8.300 right after it was released (shoulda known better, right?). Fortunately, I had copies of both my 7.X and 8.010 versions, and have not yet updated to the new map set, so for me, it was a bit easier -- just needed to grab my Windows copy of the the older application, not including maps which hadn't changed.

30 Days Almost Up for New Maps

I bought a new 720 because the deal was too good to pass up ($180 new, not refurb, @ Best Buy). It has 7.x software and I passed on the upgrade after reading about everyone's sorrows. The thing is that my 30-day map guarantee will be up soon and it looks like I can't get new maps (815?) without the 8.x software. I backed everything up, so I could upgrade software and maps - then if things go bad, do a restore of the original files, right? Or is it just not worth the potential trouble?
Thanks for the help!
Al

If you have everything backed up (Explorer backup), then you may as well go get the 8.3 firmware and then the 815 map within the 30 days.

And make ANOTHER backup after these updates.

You specified (Explorer backup)

Is that different from the backup done with the TTHome software? Just bought my 720 today and other than TTHome update I think I will stick with the original software for the time being.

Will check here often and keep up.

Yes, Explorer backup IS different from Home's backup facility. Using Explorer (with hidden files and folders showing) is more reliable than Home's is and you can name the folder on the pc where you are backing up to that of your choice.

I also asked him the difference between the 720 and the 730 now that there is an app and map update. He told me that you won't get the ALG and the IQ routes.. Hmmmm, I let him know that after I updated ALG and IQ routes were included in the map update. He said," wow I would enjoy it, they may remove that in the next update".

:eek:

I really hope they don't remove the ALG and IQ routes with the next update. I may NOT do the next update if those are removed. They do make a difference.

So basically you are saying to just copy to folder manually, much like you would do any other folder or file and then just save it somewhere.

Well, other than the stuttering which I know there is a workaround for, is it really worth it for me to upgrade to the 8.3 version?

Mine has version 7.221 on it from the store. Everything seems to be working perfectly and I highly doubt any maps in my little neck of the woods have been updated enough that it would make me want to have the latest version of a map.

My only 'complaint' so far is probably just coming from my own misunderstanding of how the FM Transmitter worked. I assumed that I could listen to my radio/stereo and then when she spoke instructions and/or I received a phone call...my music would be muted or softened.

I am very pleased with the purchase though and feel I will get alot of enjoyment out of this little device. I already installed the TomTom Media Player and it works perfectly. Converted an episode of Family Guy to test it out and it worked beautifully.

Ask a Question